I missed a $1000 detector for $250 on craigs list today.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked Craig's list this morning for detectors for sale. The listing said metal detector for sale $250 paid $1000 used 3 times. No description. This was just before 9 a.m. So, I called to inquire about the make and model. An elderly woman answered. She told me she didn't know and she couldn't lift it to look as she was very frail. She suggested that I come look at it. I told her my wife and I were going to lunch in the area anyway. So, I got her address and I told her I would call her just before I got there. My wife and I were about 5 minutes away when I called her only to find out someone had already bought it about 30 minutes after I talked to her. I still have no idea what kind of detector it was. GRRRRRRR, so close!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been $1000 in 1990, so maybe you aren't losing out on much.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was probally just an e-trac that he had paid a thousand and traded in a couple detectors for.....

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad those things happens sometime......Matt

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There's also the possibility that you just saver $250! Why would a guy that's probably old and frail too buy a heavy detector?

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I am guessing that it used to belong to her late husband, or some other family member that left it behind. It was more than likely an older model that used to be worth $1000 bucks years back, probably an old White's CoinMaster or something along those model lines. I wouldn't sweat the loss, it probably wasn't that great of a deal. Keep looking, these days you can come across new models for pretty cheap if you are patient and wait for them to come along.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
There is currently a White's XLT on my local CL for $500. I am trying to negotiate with the guy now. Made me think of this post when I saw the CL ad.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
jerseyben said:
There is currently a White's XLT on my local CL for $500. I am trying to negotiate with the guy now. Made me think of this post when I saw the CL ad.

For $500 you can get a heck of alot better machine than a Whites XLT my friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread