NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone make a solid coil cover for the Etrac or any other spider coils. It would help to stop hang ups when hunting over stubble. It would have to be light weight, not trying to replace the coil cover, just add something to cover all the openness. Maybe made of same plastic as original coil cover.......NGE

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Get a fiberglass repair kit, can be purchased at boat supply stores, and cover it top and bottom. You will have a coil that is bulletproof! You can also add color for a custom coil look.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Frankn, That is way too heavy :help:. I know well about glass and I don't need to cover complete coil, only the bottom or just the open areas. I have an old broken 12" Hot Head coil, I wonder if I cut it width wise and make it 11" if I could make that work. Dam this cabin fever! :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The problem with coils is they are made of plastics that few if any thing will stick to them. The only glue that will work is the solvent that actually chemically "welds" them together. There is a very thin fiberglass called a speed coat would work plus keep the weight down. The best cover material would be carbon fiber but you have to really know your stuff to use it.
I have a plastic welder but that would be a tricky operation.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking more on the lines of curving the edges up with heat gun, to make a snap fit. I suspect that the plastic used is like some of the old car parts heat type formation, Dang, I can't remember the name of that stuff :dontknow:........NGE

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I think the older hollow type are polyethylene and the newer solid injected molded type are an epoxy mixture. But then I am not a chemist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread