Wilmington NC

Capt_Jack

Dec 16, 2007
Wilmington N.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 AT/PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys,have i got a story for you,,one morning i was at a kangaroo getting coffee when the director of parks and rec walks in,he was standing beside me and i ask him what the law was to metal detect in city or county parks,(just to cover myself) he began to tell me that (you can take a metal detector in to a park but you can not dig or break ground) then i said that doesn't make since not to be able to dig,now is just me or does this take anyone by surprise not to be able to dig in a park,just woundering

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Electronic Survey

I got the same thing from a park ranger in Wekiva springs (Fla) in the mid 90s.

There may be a possibility that they allow it in case someone loses a ring or personal item as it would not have been lost long enough to work it's way into the soil. Top ground metal detecting for coins and jewelery is better than nothing in my opinion.

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Bobby Bridge said:
But how do you resist the urge to dig when you know you have a good hit.

Easy, I would pretend it was a pulltab. :D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't tak your digger with you.....Matt

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I think I read where it is actually legal to detect on Pa. State forest lands, but you cannot remove anything from the property. So if you you find beer cans, pull tabs, broken bottles, and all other types of trash, do not remove them. You could be facing some serious penalties.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Capt_Jack said:
Hey Guys,have i got a story for you,,one morning i was at a kangaroo getting coffee when the director of parks and rec walks in,he was standing beside me and i ask him what the law was to metal detect in city or county parks,(just to cover myself) he began to tell me that (you can take a metal detector in to a park but you can not dig or break ground) then i said that doesn't make since not to be able to dig,now is just me or does this take anyone by surprise not to be able to dig in a park,just woundering

I would go directly to city hall and ask about the law, or contact a lawyer and pay the fee to be told directly and precisely what the law is, not what some other middle man's interpretation of the law is. If this director of parks and recreation is WHO I think he is....... HE'S AN IDIOT!! I once applied for a job with the park and recreation maintenance crew there in Wilmington, and being a man with 20 years under his belt with alot of unique job skills many dont possess, he passed me over for some 20-something year old slacker punk whose last job was flipping burgers, in which he was fored from. These city divisional directors are the dumbest people I have ever met in my life, go over thier heads and get the real facts.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Simonds, When I called the PA. State Forrest Office last year they said metal detecting was OK in the forrests no permit required. I assumed I could keep my findings. If by chance you do find something that glitters, take a backpack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread