Gold minning

Big Jake

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2011
My wife and I would like to find a good place to pan for gold. I have always wanted to do this, and now that my health is getting bad we would like to find a good place to do this. We have read that Cache Creek is a good place, do you have to join any club or pay a fee to pan for gold there. If so please give me the information. Would like any help you can give us.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Big Jake said:
My wife and I would like to find a good place to pan for gold. I have always wanted to do this, and now that my health is getting bad we would like to find a good place to do this. We have read that Cache Creek is a good place, do you have to join any club or pay a fee to pan for gold there. If so please give me the information. Would like any help you can give us.

What area do you live in? Or what area would you like to be panning for gold? Just about every gold bearing state that I know of has some form of a gold mining club. Just let us know, there are alot of us that will point the way to a good area, and not only that, some may actually join with you and show you how to do it from A-Z. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Big Jake

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2011
We live in Black Rock, Arkansas. It is in the northeastern part of Arkansas. We do not know where the best place is to go. We will need to find a place where i can park close to the water, but once i get in the creek i will be alright. My muscles will not let me walk a very long distance. It is better if you join a mining club? Thanks for all your help.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Big Jake said:
We live in Black Rock, Arkansas. It is in the northeastern part of Arkansas. We do not know where the best place is to go. We will need to find a place where i can park close to the water, but once i get in the creek i will be alright. My muscles will not let me walk a very long distance. It is better if you join a mining club? Thanks for all your help.

You might check out the Gold Prospectors Association of America (GPAA) for information.
Heres a link to the Arkansas chapter: http://www.gpaachapteroftheozarks.org/
GPAA homepage: http://www.goldprospectors.org/
Even Treasurenet here has a section for gold prospecting: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,33.0.html

They have a claim site here in Ohio that is right on the banks of the beautiful Kokosing river. The camp sites are right on the river. Everytime we canoe that river we see people hunting for gold. Never tried it myself, but I think this year a buddy and I are going to give it a shot when we go camping this year.

-Swartzie

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
For places to find gold in Arkansas, try the following citations:

Treasure World, March 1972, p. 21
True Treasure, December 1970, p. 30
Western Treasures, June 1977, p. 53
Western Treasures, February 1979, p. 60

Even faster would be to do a Google search of "gold in Arkansas".

OP
OP
B

Big Jake

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2011
This is Big Jake wife. Thanks for the information. The problem where we live the gold is flour gold. Would like to go some place where we might find some flakes or nuggets.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Big Jake said:
This is Big Jake wife. Thanks for the information. The problem where we live the gold is flour gold. Would like to go some place where we might find some flakes or nuggets.

How far are you willing to travel to go gold mining?

OP
OP
B

Big Jake

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2011
Capt. we were thinking about Colorado, its about 1,100 miles from where we live. Got any better ideas?

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
In North Carolina there are many pay to dig sights and on a average are around 640 miles east of you, closer then the 1100 miles to Colorado

These are all pay to dig sights which offer the ability to get to panning with very little to no walking involved.

Cotton Patch Gold Mine located at New London NC

Vein Mountain Gold Mine located near Marion NC

Lucky Strike Gold Mine Located near Marion NC

Emerald Village near Little Switzerland NC

Thermal City Gold Mine near Marion NC

All these different sights offer gold panning as well as other forms of gold prospecting.

Thermal City puts on a public dig every spring in May which is lots of fun and very interesting.

I have been to many of these sights and have found some decent gold, some small pickers and at one even a small nugget.

You can access information about any of them by typing in the name and town they are near to get information about them and directions to get there.

I hope this is of some use to you. Rick

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
The gold truly is good here in North Carolina, in alot of places, it's very chunky....in other places, it fine gold. Just do the research before choosing who to pay for access. If you look hard enough, you can find private property access too.

Rocking Chairs Gold posted several excellent and famous spots, I have seen excellent gold come out of all of them. For Thermal City and Lucky Strike, I recommend that you try to rent thier highbankers and work the piles they dig out of the pit. I seen plenty of nice picker nuggets come out of them on a regular basis. Rentals are around $30 a day. They also have very nice and affordable campgrounds right on the river for tents and RV's. Very nice folks that run those places, they have eateries and a fully equipped supply shop for anything you may want or need.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread