Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Dec 2010
    Kentucky
    Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
    146 times

Amazing At How Many Coins Have Been Dropped Over The Years

It will always amaze me how much U.S. currency is carelessly dropped, thrown, lost on and in the ground right beneath our very feet.
    I wonder what is the average coin count that a treasure hunter will find over his or her lifespan? (Common clad, silver, gold,etc) It baffles me at how much change/coins and other relics we walk across each and every day

us
    Oct 2007
    Northern, OH
    DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
    411 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Amazing At How Many Coins Have Been Dropped Over The Years

Well right now I have been lucky enough to find just over a $100 every year for the last 5 years. I just need to get out more and then I would find more of it. But I really love finding the gold and silver jewerly that is lost.....Matt
    CRH 2014 find
    wheaties
    War Nickels
    Buffalo
    Mercs 4
    Rosie 6
    90% Kennedy
    Franklin
    Walkers
    40% halfs
    Detecting Finds
    Dollars
    Quarters `
    Silver Quarters
    Dimes
    Silver Dimes
    Nickels
    Pennies
    Wheaties
    rings

Felinepeachy

What amazes me is how many coins we all find every year. I wonder how much that adds up to?

us
    The Past Tells the Future! Let's try not to do it over .

Feb 2011
    Strafford , Missouri
    Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
    16 times

I saw a TV show a few years back that was talking about this, how many coins ,or money was dropped ever day. I do not remember the amount but it was staggering what the amount was, it was rated in Tons per day. I wish I could remember the exact amount that was said but it was a lot that is for sure. This was in the U.S also , so not counting other Country's amounts .

And the most lost coin was the quarter , that does not seem right to me, I would have said the penny or dime.
    I am going to see if I can look up and find that show as it was full of data on things like this.
    Few things I love to do is , Metal Detecting for anything of the past!
    Making Detectors better ! Tuning and finding ways to upgrade Detector hardware , To make them work the Best that is possable !

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9854 times

Here is one little fun fact for ya-

$58 million "lost" every year - Virgin Atlantic Airways discovered that it takes in an average of 18 cents per passenger per flight in loose change found in the plane's seats. If that figure holds for the approximate 320 million people who fly from one country to another worldwide each year, the total is about $58 million. Lost coins on domestic flights don't amount to much, however. Chicago O'Hare cleaning crews said they found only about 6 cents per flight. It is suggested that more travelers to other countries "accidentally" leave foreign coins behind to avoid dealing with them once they get home

and

There is approximately $8 billion worth of coins circulating in the US today. The U.S. Mint produces nearly 30 billion coins for general circulation each year

us
    May 2003
    E. Tennessee
    Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
    36 times

just imagine the number of coins minted over the years , but yet all the ones we see in circulation are just a few years old. Where's the rest? most are in the ground, either accidently or on purpose.

us
    Feb 2011
    Louisiana
    Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax,Whites 3900/D Pro series, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and cen- tec pinpointer (doing it on the cheap)
    17 times
    Metal Detecting

As long as I'm out hunting there will be plenty left for everyone... GUARANTEED!
    Diggin' for a livin', naahh... I would starve to death!

us
    Wheres The Gold

Feb 2010
    Vancouver WA
    Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro) Chug and Reds New Additions Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250 Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
    2604 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

So far this year, yes I have been lucky with the weather $18.98 Chug aprox 1/3rd of it is pennies!!!
    "It cant Always Be Silver Or Gold But It Is A Hell Of an Experience Pulling It Out Of the Dirt"

Metal detecting is Like A Marathon, Your Running fast then start Slowing A Bit The You Find Something Interesting And You Pick Up the Pace!!! The Only Difference is If You Are Addicted to this Hobby there Is NO FINISH LINE HH Chug And Red

us
    Mar 2009
    Springfield Mo.
    Whites m6
    40 times

I always think, when I'm hunting old homes and lots, " If you could only screen every inch of ground down a few feet!!" Man, how cool would that be! I'm sure that most of the pre twentieth century stuff is just barely out of reach of most detectors, I mean, you know there's got to be goodies under your feet, but with no signal we'll never know!! Most of us just " Scratch the surface" Literally!

us
    Dec 2010
    Kentucky
    Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
    146 times

Quote Originally Posted by Toby1858
    I always think, when I'm hunting old homes and lots, " If you could only screen every inch of ground down a few feet!!" Man, how cool would that be! I'm sure that most of the pre twentieth century stuff is just barely out of reach of most detectors, I mean, you know there's got to be goodies under your feet, but with no signal we'll never know!! Most of us just " Scratch the surface" Literally!
    I know. I recently saw where a guy had access to heavy equipment that he could use for his own personal use during off time hours from his employment. He was offering to treasure hunters his service and equipment to do some major digging and he would split the finds with you. Not a bad idea, but who has hunt sites that they can just bring in heavy equipment and start moving some serious earth?

gb
    Aug 2009
    SWEDEN
    (on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
    188 times

You think you have fun? We Brit's and Europeans can dig a Roman coin from 2000 years ago (the Romans seemed to have dropped or buried every coin they were paid.How they ever bought anything is beyond me lol!) and a few yards later a pound coin from last week. There's a LOT of years inbetween..it's a wonder Britain doesn't sink from the weight of all the lost coins and goodies!
    A guy was saying last week how he sold 20 years worth of gold rings found by a detectorist friend who had just died.(He was selling them for the guys family). they sold for £4,500 - $7,300 and that's just one guy, Imagine adding up and selling all the gold found from every member just on this site?

(Disclaimer: For those who don't like me much, that first part ISN'T bragging...it's just how it is! So don't make a big issue of it please.)

us
    Dec 2009
    kentucky
    whites eagle spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
    It will always amaze me how much U.S. currency is carelessly dropped, thrown, lost on and in the ground right beneath our very feet.
    I wonder what is the average coin count that a treasure hunter will find over his or her lifespan? (Common clad, silver, gold,etc) It baffles me at how much change/coins and other relics we walk across each and every day
    i have metal detected one spot and found 195 coins total. So far.....

us
    CS IS NEXT

Nov 2005
    PA-MD
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    678 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

And most of us are guilty of dropping our fair share for someone else

us
    May 2008
    lakelinden mi
    MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
    388 times

I hate dropping money or sucking it up with the vacuum...it goes agents all that i do owning a metal detector...made the kid tare up the vacuum bag out side...thought i sucked up a dime turned out to be a penny...
    I hate to discriminate but some times you have too!

us
    Sep 2007
    N. San Diego County
    Ace 250
    37 times
    Metal Detecting

I must be hunting in the wrong places

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links