Anyone?

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ever find an old coin laying on top of the ground? I dug a Indian head today at about five inches. Then found a 1919 Buffalo nickel about five feet from where I found the penney laying on top of the ground. The ground was damp top soil and I cant figure out why it was just laying there? I once found a wheat cent on the ground but it was in a wash and was hard ground....

Attachments

• school 209.jpg
    school 209.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 230
  • school 211.jpg
    school 211.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 226
  • school 209.jpg
    school 209.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 212
  • school 211.jpg
    school 211.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 234

dscott67

Dec 5, 2010
MS.
Detector(s) used
garrett gta 350
cool,my brother picked up a 1916 wheat on top of the ground in a field that has cotton or corn planted in every year !! dangest thing,he's eat up with luck anyway,i have to dig all mine

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hit a couple of nice signals just to look down and see buttons sitting on the ground. And theses ain't new ones either. And then you dig a zincon at 8 inches. Its weird how things work.

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
Haha yeah i found a sweet looking buff just sitting in the grass next to a driveway... the owner of the home seen me pick it up and said, "whatchya got"? I couldn't believe it, I've never even dug one and here's one all shiny and detailed... I showed the lady and she said her dad was over earlier and is always bringing coins to show the grandkids. I figured he probably dropped it so I just stuck my hand out and offered it to her... she didn't object... dangit :-\

Ohwell, it was still cool to find

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first and only barber dime was found laying on the ground about 3/4 exposed. I did not see it until the detector found it. It was pretty tarnished but still silver and dated 1906.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
It's a phenomenon, but ploughing in the past or hard frosts in winter can punch coins and things up to the surface. It could have been lay there for decades before you spotted it.

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years ago I was bushwhacking way off the trails in one of my favorite woods.
No one goes this far off the trails in this place. It was a swampy area but the ground was frozen so it gave me a chance to explore it.

I walked right up to a perfect old bottle, about 100+ years old, sitting on top of the leaves like it had just been set down.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
About 10 years ago I was a rural mail carrier and had a more or less run down farm house on my route. It was obvious it was quite old so my son and I decided to see if we could get permission to metal detect it before they tore it down.

We went out on a Saturday to talk to the tenant who lived there and found out the house dated to the 1850's and while I was talking to him I saw my son bend over and pick up something next to the drive. We got permission and got back into the car to leave. My son held out his hand and he was holding a 1846 Large Cent he had just picked up out of the dirt laying next to the drive.

This turned out to be the best yard we ever hunted as we found a ladies 18K wedding band with a date of 1886 inside it. We also found 7 seated dimes and one 1806 Large Cent. There was several newer silver coins and Indian and Wheat cents all over the yard.

It's a good thing we got permission when we did as not long afterwards the house burned to the ground and they plowed the whole piece of property under. I have hunted a lot of farm properties over the years but never any to compare to this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread