best digging tool?

tumbleinn2

Apr 24, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
WHITE"S SPECTRA V3i d2 coil 6x10 coil 5.3 coil super 12 surfmaster II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche, digging tool is the best hand held that I have seen or used on the market.
It can cut roots in the ground. The cost is a little high but well worth it its all most un-breakable . It cost around 39 to 50 were you find one.
good luck. Hope this helps you find the goodies!

Attachments

• leschestandard.jpg
    leschestandard.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 8,432

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....Well-come a board.... a screw driver works good... dull the edges, so it won't scratch the coins...get your self a hand held pin pointer.... it will save you time....and you look like a professional detector-is.. to whom ever watching at the time.....
liftloop

OP
OP
jfoto

jfoto

Feb 19, 2011
Virginia
I think I'll save the pin-pointer for down the road a bit .. I just want a decent digging tool for now.. and I figured if I wear a tie while im using my MD, I'd look more like a professional :headbang:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Lesche is probably the best as it has a lifetime warranty as well. If you are looking for something to get started and funds are short I would recommend a good digging shovel/trowel at a local hardware store. Also you can get a pinpointer at Harbor Freight for about $20. It is not the best but works better than nothing. The Garrett Pro Pointer is probably one of the better pinpointers and they are about $125. A pinpointer will save you a lot of time looking for your target once it is out of the hole. Most hunters will use a pin pointer of some kind.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
treasurehound said:
jfoto said:
is this the one that your referring to at harbor freight?

http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

That's it. I have one and it really does a good job. Again it is not the best but it will do the job. You will be amazed at how much time it will save you.

Poke a little hole in a quart ziplock bag, center bottom. push the probe through and seal it, this will keep the dirt away from the button.

which is the weak point on it!!! HH Chug i went through 3 of them before red bought me a real one for christmas

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to use a Gator from KellyCo. It was not too bad but now I use a Lesche, $20 at a going out of business sale. I have used 6 different pin pointers, the Harbor Freight pin pointer is OK if the funds are not there to get a more expensive one, now I use the best a Garret's Pro Pointer. I don,t go detecting without them. I don,t worry about me digger breaking or cutting roots and I cut my time to retrieve by at least 2/3 's. Detecting really is a numbers game. The more times you go, more time detecting, more targets dug, the more better things you find! Sounds like a plan to me!

Ed D.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
I use a digger I got from lowes. 16 bucks or so.

has a blue handle, knife edge on one side and serrated edge on the other, great for cutting roots.

the latest one has lasted me 3 years and running.

the Gator I got with my MD purchase bent on the first root I got it caught on. wouldn't recommend it.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best digger is the one you use for the type of hunting you do.

I would not want to use a small trowel type digger when out relic hunting.

For relic hunting I prefer a shovel type digger.

I use a small Craftsman shovel I picked up at Sears & Roebuck.

For coin hunting, especially in parks and lawns, I use a small trowel type digger.

The one I use is a Fiskars Digging Knife.

It is made for gardening purposes.

It only cost 10-12 bucks and is very strong.

I do not like to spend $40-50 on a digger you might forget and leave someplace.

That's just my take.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche for parks and yards, when you don,t want to scare the owner or ranger/manager.

When I get serious while field hunting I bring out the big boys from "Predator Tools". My first was the Model 80D Relic Pro (D) it was just to heavy, so I contacted them and they exchanged it for the Model 80T. I got the Model 58 Little Eagle for when the 80T gets too heavy. Both are great shovels. I went to the Predator Tools site to get photos and saw the new Model 25 Raven, looks cool, my wife has been asking me what I want for my birthday?

oldcoon, They also have the Lesche with a dayglow orange handle. Hint, Hint. Really, I have never lost a digger. I have used very inexpensive and expensive ones and I think when it comes to detectors, digging tools, and pin pointers you generally get what you pay for.

Attachments

• 80T.jpg
    80T.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 965
  • 58.jpg
    58.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 3,140
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 568

halfstep

May 11, 2010
I have a little eagle shovel ordered, just like the one in the pic. I have a small shovel that I bought locally. It has a steel handle with a t-grip. It is around 24" long and heavy built but it has a 7" wide blade. I wanted a smaller blade. The little shovel is a must where I live. There are a lot of rocks so something more than just a hand digger is needed. I have a little hand tool I bought at lowes. It is the one with the blue handle. I use it a lot but mainly use the shovel to do the bulk of the work.

Like mentioned above, the pin pointer will allow you to be more precise and keep the digging to a minimum. That is important when yard or park digging. It also just save time. Time is better used for swinging, not digging.

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I think the Raptor would do just as good as the Lesche... Anybody used both or them?

31C.jpg

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Do yourself a big favor and get a decent pin pointer. Will cut your rcovery time by at the very least in half. When I first got my newest metal detector the dealer advised me to get a good pinpointer and like you I felt I could do with out it. I quickly found out how right he was. :icon_thumright:

Spent 15 minutes looking for this little 1/4"x 1/4" silver heart shaped Frat Pin.

Attachments

• 163 (1280x960) (640x480).jpg
    163 (1280x960) (640x480).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 380

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-master, Yes I do have the Raptor and the Lesche. ::) The Raptor is built very tough. You could drive over it with a tank and not hurt it. It is a little bulky. The only thing that bothers me is the corners of the tip catch on the case/holder when you take it in and out. It does not have a serrated edge so cutting larger roots is hard. But in hard rocky clay soil it get a double thumbs up. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Ed D.

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
photo-master said:
I think the Raptor would do just as good as the Lesche... Anybody used both or them?

31C.jpg

I saw that too but it doesn't look like would be any good for cutting plugs, because the sides don't look sharp/beveled and the handle is angled more for digging rather than cutting a plug. It definitely might be a good addition, I wouldn't think it of it as a replacement for the "regular" Lesche or Predator digger. (from my newbie point of view)

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kayaker,

The plug is just rounded not straight edged. Kind of like a half circle flap in grass. I think it is good for areas with rocks clay and sand. Not good in the roots. The extra beef does let you shove it in all the way in the ground and pop the dirt out in one dig. Gets those 6-8 " targets fast. The shape does take a little getting used to. If you don,t allow for the curve of the blade you will dig in toward the find as you go deeper. You don't want to scratch a good keeper.

I do have the Raptor and Gator as backups or a loaner if needed.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions