Your Dug Oddities Could Be More Significant Than You Know!

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some pictures...as you can see I'm not a professional photographer. I remember my ex-girlfriend found one exactly like mine. Maybe an expert can tell me if it is an ancient coin or not. It is about 1 1/16" across and a little over 1/8" thick. Any ideas? Niffler

Attachments

• P2030239.jpg
    P2030239.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 304
  • P2030241.jpg
    P2030241.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 308
  • P2030248.jpg
    P2030248.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 315
  • P2030242.jpg
    P2030242.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 310

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between the theory that the Romans came to America and the theory that coin collectors scatted coins around the country, couldn't there be a much simpler and logical explanation for older coins being found.

When you were a kid, didn't you collect coins? I don't mean real coin collections, but just collecting anything that was different, and never even knowing their value. I have always been collecting odd coins, but when it came time to buy some chips or sweets, or even later, put a gallone of gas in the car, I spent everything. Old coins are found in tot lots too, but I doubt that someones Indian head penny fell out of their pocket a hundred years ago. Kids get a hold of coins at home, or friends house, and eventually they are lost. I'm sure through out the history of the US, there have been people with odd coins in their pockets or purse, and eventually these coins ended up in collections, or more likely, lost or even thrown away. After WW1 & 2, there were many things brought back from Europe, including old coins. Some people may have realized their value, but to others, they were just odd, and of no value.

I wonder how many fortuns I have thrown away, not knowing the value of old coins, or what sterling even meant! That's why flea markets are such fun, there are still a lot of people that don't know the value of an item, and others that do.

I just dint see the mystery of finding a coin that doesn't belong there.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
there is a post on Tnet from a member, Lord Karanov? or something like that. I can't seem to find it at the moment.

It was some sort of Chinese artiface or coin that he sold to a professor or someone who was researching Chinese arrival in america before columbus. very interesting thread although I can't seem to find it.

anyone remember that?

Found it. Best of Tnet

Mysterious Ming Medallion

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,45920.msg2245150.html#msg2245150

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
maipenrai said:
Between the theory that the Romans came to America and the theory that coin collectors scatted coins around the country, couldn't there be a much simpler and logical explanation for older coins being found.

When you were a kid, didn't you collect coins? I don't mean real coin collections, but just collecting anything that was different, and never even knowing their value. I have always been collecting odd coins, but when it came time to buy some chips or sweets, or even later, put a gallone of gas in the car, I spent everything. Old coins are found in tot lots too, but I doubt that someones Indian head penny fell out of their pocket a hundred years ago. Kids get a hold of coins at home, or friends house, and eventually they are lost. I'm sure through out the history of the US, there have been people with odd coins in their pockets or purse, and eventually these coins ended up in collections, or more likely, lost or even thrown away. After WW1 & 2, there were many things brought back from Europe, including old coins. Some people may have realized their value, but to others, they were just odd, and of no value.

I wonder how many fortuns I have thrown away, not knowing the value of old coins, or what sterling even meant! That's why flea markets are such fun, there are still a lot of people that don't know the value of an item, and others that do.

I just dint see the mystery of finding a coin that doesn't belong there.

I swear, some people just seem to "skim" over threads. ::)

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
BobinSouthVA said:
there is a post on Tnet from a member, Lord Karanov? or something like that. I can't seem to find it at the moment.

It was some sort of Chinese artiface or coin that he sold to a professor or someone who was researching Chinese arrival in america before columbus. very interesting thread although I can't seem to find it.

anyone remember that?

Actually, I do remember that and I have been searching for that link since I was putting this post together last night. I suppose it was dropped by another collector with a hole in his pocket. ::)

U

umrgolf

The coin's depth has no relevance since it was in a plowed field and just a few inches down like everything else... The thing that struck me as odd was how far away from the actual camp it was... literally all by itself in the "middle of nowhere" out in this huge field.. and this was about a half-mile from the coastline.

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
umrgolf said:
The coin's depth has no relevance since it was in a plowed field and just a few inches down like everything else... The thing that struck me as odd was how far away from the actual camp it was... literally all by itself in the "middle of nowhere" out in this huge field.. and this was about a half-mile from the coastline.

I cant speak for others, but to me that seems extremely significant. Excellent find Golf, I envy you. I hope to find one or two of those myself someday. It's deffinitely on my bucket list for sure. :icon_thumleft:

U

umrgolf

Cap'n Crunch said:
umrgolf said:

I cant speak for others, but to me that seems extremely significant. Excellent find Golf, I envy you. I hope to find one or two of those myself someday. It's deffinitely on my bucket list for sure. :icon_thumleft:

I hope you do.. I was hoping I might find something else out there from the period but turned up nothing... I spent countless hours there and in the adjoining properties, more-so because we were finding a lot of nice colonial and CW artifacts, but still had hopes something else ancient might turn up.. and never really made much of a big deal about it since it was the only one found, figured it was a dropped souvenir from the 18-19th century

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I hope you do.. I was hoping I might find something else out there from the period but turned up nothing... I spent countless hours there and in the adjoining properties, more-so because we were finding a lot of nice colonial and CW artifacts, but still had hopes something else ancient might turn up.. and never really made much of a big deal about it since it was the only one found, figured it was a dropped souvenir from the 18-19th century
[/quote]

One of these days, who knows, someone may end up finding a Roman camp, starting with axeheads and pottery, perhaps even a hoard of coins in a vase. If the Romans were here, and I do mean "IF", I seriously doubt they stuck around in any area for very long, it may have very well been like Coronado, a quick in and out expedition, one at a time, over a long period of time, but nothing long term to build any real structures. The Romans were a very fast moving force and highly disciplined, usually they left very little behind when they were on the move, if they settled in for a long period of time, well, leaving signs behind wasnt that big of a deal, everyone knew they were there anyways.

I have complete confidence that if anyone were to make a discovery of anything major, it would be you and Sentinel, you both seem to have incredible amounts of luck when it comes to finding the good stuff. I mean who else other than Sentinel could walk into an old CW stockade be there for 2 hours and walk out with a very rare Type 1 Double Eagle gold coin?? You guys are really hot with the luck factor for sure. My hat is off to the both of you. :notworthy:

U

umrgolf

Cap'n Crunch said:
umrgolf said:

One of these days, who knows, someone may end up finding a Roman camp, starting with axeheads and pottery, perhaps even a hoard of coins in a vase. If the Romans were here, and I do mean "IF", I seriously doubt they stuck around in any area for very long, it may have very well been like Coronado, a quick in and out expedition, one at a time, over a long period of time, but nothing long term to build any real structures. The Romans were a very fast moving force and highly disciplined, usually they left very little behind when they were on the move, if they settled in for a long period of time, well, leaving signs behind wasnt that big of a deal, everyone knew they were there anyways.

I have complete confidence that if anyone were to make a discovery of anything major, it would be you and Sentinel, you both seem to have incredible amounts of luck when it comes to finding the good stuff. I mean who else other than Sentinel could walk into an old CW stockade be there for 2 hours and walk out with a very rare Type 1 Double Eagle gold coin?? You guys are really hot with the luck factor for sure. My hat is off to the both of you. :notworthy:

thanks.. you're right, he was very fortunate to find the gold coin where he found it, considering the lack of targets.. he took me there once after he found it and we hit it hard for a few hours with only an Eagle button. :dontknow: probably pounded good in the past...
Im in Russia for the year so hopefully Sentinel stumbles upon this legendary hoard ;D I had a good time hunting with him all last year, and all the hunts are on our personal pages if you're ever interested in taking a look.

Good luck to you this year and try not to get so discouraged about a couple spots being busts.. Josh and I walked into fields that looked like theyd have 100 spanish silver coins and we left with nothing more than shotgun shells and our heads down... A good number of our finds came from trash-filled, city lots..some from woods, some from fields, and some from yards .. the point being, we never gave up when we hit 2 or 3 duds in a row :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread