Your Dug Oddities Could Be More Significant Than You Know!

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
*Note: I would like to humbly request that this post not be moved to another forum on the account that the rest of the forums hardly seem to be read and have activity going in them, it is my intention to post this here in Today's Finds so that everyone will read it and make educational comparisons to thier past finds.

Ever dig up an item that just doesn't seem to jive with history as we know it in America? I have seen it happen to several of you over the years ever since I have been a member on here. I can't seem to find the post, but a new member on here just found a bronze Roman coin in Texas. Sadly, not many comments were made, and one of them non-chalantly passed it off as a lost coin from a collector, however, IS THIS REALLY TRUE? There are other factors to consider that few ever really seem to touch on....... the opposing aspect that there were other ancient cultures (other than the indians) making landfall in America thousands of years before Columbus.

Check this out.......

http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/coins/coins.htm

http://www.xpeditionsmagazine.com/magazine/canyon/canyon.html

http://www.science-frontiers.com/on...Celts&zoom_per_page=50&zoom_and=1&zoom_sort=0

http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa080700a.htm

http://www.prehistoricplanet.com/wv/features/petroglyphs/

http://catholicism.org/americas-first-christmas-card.html

http://www.prehistoricplanet.com/wv/features/petroglyphman/index.htm

U

umrgolf

lurediver said:
You're smoking the good stuff. Carry on

:laughing7:

check this out Cap'n Crunch.. I found this Roman in NC last year in a CW camp :thumbsup:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,315807.0.html

still remember exactly where I dug it in the field... I remember looking at it and initially thinking it was a really, really corroded flat button.. and as i started to wipe the dirt away and see a bust I just couldn't believe it.. the thing was a couple hundred yards back of the camp too and I was just wandering around for the most part

do i think a roman dropped it? no

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a good point on history. It looks like we need to rewrite the books. Also to note that I've found no ancient coins in Iowa yet but have found colonial coins in western IA. Did find some 1700 GB cents along with Spanish silver yrs ago with early US coins to. So it tell me somebody been around my area for a long time.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is ancient finds never have the context to support them being lost in ancient times. So yes they are lost in modern times.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:read2:
The Spanish were the first foreign to be invaded by the Romans.
In Spain were built and used millions of Roman coins for over 1000 years ..... and continued to use in times of monetary crisis till the 19th century. (Spanish coin collectors know that many of the Roman coins that are collected today They were exposed never buried in the ground that continued to circulate till our days) these Roman coins in U.S.A soil can be brought by Spanish.
Roman coins are also missed by collectors (there are thousands of Roman coins in the U.S. in the hands of collectors).
I am totally convinced that the Indians never trod till the 20 th century America and the oldest settlers of America were the Native Americans.
Greetings! :hello:

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
The problem is ancient finds never have the context to support them being lost in ancient times. So yes they are lost in modern times.

Regardless of what you find, if it doesn't fit in with accepted conclusions of the archies, it doesn't really matter if it's a Celtic Rune in Tenn., or a gold chain inside a lump of coal, it will be dismissed as insignificant.

A free ebook on this subject. Just click on the cover to download; http://thecrowhouse.com/projects.html

"There is more between Heaven and earth than meets the eye."

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh I too believe solidly that there were pre columbus * visits by other european type peoples -- its been proven beyond reasonible doubt that there was a fairly large viking settlement in about the 1000 AD range in Canada --

However I do not think that a single coin "find" can set up a claim "romans were here" with any real degree of validity that any of todays archies will accept --- when it is much much much more likely with some 1940 to 1960 era type homes being there at the site --- that a WW2 era vet might have brought a coin home or a tourist type or coin collecter lost a random coin

now I would still pound that site to bits --hey the coin might have been part of a hidden or lost coin collection or as you say there might be "more to it" ---seek and find the truth * is my motto. --still a cool find in my book.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1997 I found what I believe to be an ancient Roman coin near the Bear river on the Oregon Trail in Idaho, and I saw another just like it that my girlfriend dug in the same spot. I must add that the Idaho soil is not kind to coins. Niffler

U

umrgolf

niffler said:
In 1997 I found what I believe to be an ancient Roman coin near the Bear river on the Oregon Trail in Idaho, and I saw another just like it that my girlfriend dug in the same spot. I must add that the Idaho soil is not kind to coins. Niffler

no pics?

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like this thread! there are many hints that Columbus was not the first person to discover America...lets face it, with primitive navigation systems the likelyhood that some other civilization was blown way off course and landed here is huge...They probably didn't even realize that they had discovered a new land...even if they did realize what they had found, the challenges of establishing themselves with any sort of permanance here would have been daunting and most likely not economically appealing

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Check out "HINT" channel on TV. They have an upcomming on earley visitors to the America's.

bigd

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2007
EagleDown said:
Iron Patch said:

Regardless of what you find, if it doesn't fit in with accepted conclusions of the archies, it doesn't really matter if it's a Celtic Rune in Tenn., or a gold chain inside a lump of coal, it will be dismissed as insignificant.

A free ebook on this subject. Just click on the cover to download; http://thecrowhouse.com/projects.html

Hey Eagledown thanks for that link, looks very interesting.
Dave

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
lurediver said:

No need for rude comments, you really need to have holes poked in the lid of that box you live in, or you will suffocate. ::)

IAsoldier said:
You have a good point on history. It looks like we need to rewrite the books. Also to note that I've found no ancient coins in Iowa yet but have found colonial coins in western IA. Did find some 1700 GB cents along with Spanish silver yrs ago with early US coins to. So it tell me somebody been around my area for a long time.

That is extremely interesting indeed! :icon_thumleft:

umrgolf said:
lurediver said:

:laughing7:

check this out Cap'n Crunch.. I found this Roman in NC last year in a CW camp :thumbsup:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,315807.0.html

still remember exactly where I dug it in the field... I remember looking at it and initially thinking it was a really, really corroded flat button.. and as i started to wipe the dirt away and see a bust I just couldn't believe it.. the thing was a couple hundred yards back of the camp too and I was just wandering around for the most part

do i think a roman dropped it? no

Wow, that is a mind blowing find Golf! What depth did you find it at in relation to those other relics?

Iron Patch said:

That's why we dint know our true history right there Iron, when somethin is found, no one investigates the area further, it's always dismissed away as being from a different scenario with no real investigation to back up the current claim. It's much like finding what could be a murder victim found out in the woods and saying there doesn't need to be an investigation, that it was probably just a person with Alzheimer's who wandered off and died in the woods. You dint know that for certain, further investigation is key before making any dismissals.

HISPAN said:
:read2:
The Spanish were the first foreign to be invaded by the Romans.
In Spain were built and used millions of Roman coins for over 1000 years ..... and continued to use in times of monetary crisis till the 19Th century. (Spanish coin collectors know that many of the Roman coins that are collected today They were exposed never buried in the ground that continued to circulate till our days) these Roman coins in U.S.A soil can be brought by Spanish.
Roman coins are also missed by collectors (there are thousands of Roman coins in the U.S. in the hands of collectors).
I am totally convinced that the Indians never trod till the 20 Th century America and the oldest settlers of America were the Native Americans.
Greetings! :hello:

Hispan, I most certainly can see how in a monetary crisis, when there is a shortage of coinage, that local people of Spain would resort to to picking up Roman coins and using them for trade inside Spain, but that don't mean it would be acceptable currency elsewhere in the world. It makes no sense at all that the Spanish expeditions( religious, military, colonization) in the Americas, would resort to Roman coinage, not when there were vast silver, copper and gold mines being operated in both North and South America, all under Spanish control. Your country wasn't exactly poor until 1665 when Spain went bankrupt culminating from extended warfare, changes in ruling dynasties, and a long lasting plague. By that time the English and French had filled the vaccum of power that Spain left behind when it lost control of it's colonies. French and English currencies were used, as well as the Spanish Reale, there was no need to use the crusty bronze Roman coins. It would also not make any sense that the Conquistadors brought these for trade, they held no value to the natives here, and it is much like dragging bank bags full of quarters along on a several year hiking trip, useless and dead weight, sorry, it doesn't fly here.
You also seem to suggest that every Roman coin found on American soil was dropped from a collector, where is your historical proof of this? It would seem that these Roman coins are as hard to hold onto as wet watermelon seeds!
Also what is being ignored is the evidence of other empires being here as well, not just the Romans. What about the Egyptian temple found in Arizona? Did you even read any of the links that I posted?

EagleDown said:
Iron Patch said:
The problem is ancient finds never have the context to support them being lost in ancient times. SO yes they are lost in modern times.

A free book on this subject. Just click on the cover to download; http://thecrowhouse.com/projects.html

Excellent point and reference Eagle. :icon_thumleft:

SGVALLEYMAN said:
:icon_thumleft: Interesting post,,, food for thought I'd say!

Thank you valleyman, that was the whole point of this post that some seem to have missed. :wink:

Charlene said:
The things we find that make us go Hummmm?

Exactly, thank you. :)

niffler said:

I would really love to see pictures of that, it would help build evidence of this current theory. Hold onto those for sure!

The-Bone said:
i like this thread! there are many hints that Columbus was not the first person to discover America...lets face it, with primitive navigation systems the likelyhood that some other civilization was blown way off course and landed here is huge...They probably didn't even realize that they had discovered a new land...even if they did realize what they had found, the challenges of establishing themselves with any sort of permanence here would have been daunting and most likely not economically appealing

Thank you Bone, there are hints, although they seem to be small ones, but there are many. Some cultures were far more advanced in knowledge than we give them credit for and the landings (if there really were) were intentional, while there were others that were freak accidents caused from being blown off course from a storm. There was a ancient inscription somewhere in South America (reference in one of the links) that speak of how they were on a trading and merchant mission, with an armada and got separated by a storm off the coast of Africa, they never saw the other ships again, and ended up in a strange land. There is although some evidence that suggests that there indeed was some form of steady trade going on between this hemisphere and the other.

ivan salis said:
oh I too believe solidly that there were pre Columbus * visits by other European type peoples -- its been proven beyond reasonable doubt that there was a fairly large viking settlement in about the 1000 AD range in Canada --

However I do not think that a single coin "find" can set up a claim "Romans were here" with any real degree of validity that any of today's Archie's will accept --- when it is much much much more likely with some 1940 to 1960 era type homes being there at the site --- that a WW2 era vet might have brought a coin home or a tourist type or coin collector lost a random coin

now I would still pound that site to bits --hey the coin might have been part of a hidden or lost coin collection or as you say there might be "more to it" ---seek and find the truth * is my motto. --still a cool find in my book.

You're right Ivan, coins found in singles by themselves does not, in any way, prove that a particular culture was here. However, look at some of the locations these coins have been found. One of them being a gold Roman coin at the bottom of a native American burial mound in Round Rock, Texas. Oh surely a coin collector went illegally plucking around in a grave,while carrying his rare gold coin, lost it in the grave, and covered the mound back up with leaving absolutely zero evidence that he was ever there to begin with. The excuses some people come up with Ivan, are even more impossible and preposterous than the currently presented theory! Not all ancient coins lost where from a direct forgein expedition, and not all ancient forgein coins were lost from a collector (who is the world runs around carrying rare collectable coins in their pockets anyways??). If it was found in a front lawn of a modern home within the last 100 years, I would agree, its a lost coin from a collector. When the house was being built, the land was graded and leveled by machines, removing many inches to feet of top soil, or adding fill dirt just The same, either way, removing any ancient evidence there was. Anything that is found after the house was built, was from that era of being lost, until now. There are far too many of these coins being found in remote areas where it is very unlikely people would be lugging around their coin collections to be lost, and these coins have too much oxidation and crust to have been losses from recent history.

I guess it's far too easy for some to go by their own self-comforting thoughts and "feelings" rather than to muddle through the evidence and even consider the possibility that there is another truth out there.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh there are several "valid' exsamples of items being found at places where they should not be at unless they were either "planted" by so called archie trying to become "famous" or unless there was real contact from old cultures of the past *

I for one DO believe that several differant groups may have came to america either by planned exploration or by some sea going mistake / disaster --- off of padre island in texaas there are very well known natural sea currents that wash up things from overseas to this very day.

as a 30 year merchant mariner * I am well aware of how there are currents within the ocean that steer things from place to place ( like the gulf stream) --- ships of old hit by storms and losing their rudders and sails would be "steered' by these currents till they finally hit dry land -- if any of the crew members survived the ordeal they of course would naturally roam about trying to figger out just where in the heck they were and how to get back home most likely. (I know if I was "shipwrecked"
thats just what I would do personally )

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
ivan salis said:
oh there are several "valid' exsamples of items being found at places where they should not be at unless they were either "planted" by so called archie trying to become "famous" or unless there was real contact from old cultures of the past *

I for one DO believe that several differant groups may have came to america either by planned exploration or by some sea going mistake / disaster --- off of padre island in texaas there are very well known natural sea currents that wash up things from overseas to this very day.

as a 30 year merchant mariner * I am well aware of how there are currents within the ocean that steer things from place to place ( like the gulf stream) --- ships of old hit by storms and losing their rudders and sails would be "steered' by these currents till they finally hit dry land -- if any of the crew members survived the ordeal they of course would naturally roam about trying to figger out just where in the heck they were and how to get back home most likely. (I know if I was "shipwrecked"
thats just what I would do personally )

I know you believe Ivan, we have discussed stuff like this (and even stranger things) before. My comments were directed at the other posts that were trying to play off the evidence.

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Thanks for trying Dano, but I hate it when this happens, I clicked the link and all I got was this:

An Error Has Occurred!
We're sorry, due to high server loads, our search engine is available to Charter Members only. You can however, search TreasureNet at Google, by entering the following text when searching for Texas for example: "Texas site:treasurenet.com".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread