Intensity needle metered detectors

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..Does it read on metal in the discrimination mode or will the needle stay put but the detector sounds off telling you their some than their...other than what your looking for kind of like iron id... or does the needle move on both... Ferris and nonferrous...and the deeper the target the less the needle moves up the scale..say it's a steady needle.. but at maybe 20 on the scale..would that be a indication of a deep target... thanks in a advance....liftloop....

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
liftloop said:
..Does it read on metal in the discrimination mode or will the needle stay put but the detector sounds off telling you their some than their...other than what your looking for kind of like iron id... or does the needle move on both... Ferris and nonferrous...and the deeper the target the less the needle moves up the scale..say it's a steady needle.. but at maybe 20 on the scale..would that be a indication of a deep target... thanks in a advance....liftloop....

There were a very few old analog detectors that used a needle to discriminate. The main reason meters are used these days is to keep the box from looking so plain. The few Chinese detectors that still have meters would work just the same if they didn't. Once the detector has been purchased, the meter is no longer needed.
Look at the detectors without meters(Tesoro for example). It would cost diddly squat to add an intensity meter. You know why they don't? Because they don't do anything useful.

I hate to say it but I've been thinking about that old Chinese detector I sold last summer. It had a useless meter, but it also did more than go "ding ding ding."

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Forget the needle. Most modern detectors use digital readout and it does have a purpose. When I put my XLT into coin and jewrly program it only sounds on coin and jewrly, but the display shows all targets when detected. This gives you an option that just sound does not. It helps with the problem of large deep iron which will sometimes cause the detector to sound off. When you use a detector you want to max out the advantages that it has. Those bells and whistles do come in handy sometimes!
I know there are still some needle lovers out there. The most usefull one I have ever used was on a Garrett. It did give you an idea of what was down there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread