Consumer protection- How to sell real gold nuggets without getting ripped off

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know. I know, most of us don't have real Gold nuggets just laying around, but below are some good tips just in case you find one, and want to sell it without getting ripped off by shady/sketchy Gold dealers. As most of you all know, I am always looking out for the consumer and ways to protect you against fraud. I'm not Clark Howard, :D but I hate to see people getting burned.

How to Sell Gold Nuggets
By Jerry Garner:

Gold Nuggets
Few things can compare to finding your own gold nuggets. Perhaps the only thing that comes close is when you sell your gold nuggets and get cold, hard cash in return. One thing is for certain, and that is that it is much easier to sell gold nuggets than it is to find them, which is why they command such a high price. If you have gold nuggets that you would like to trade for money, keep reading for some selling tips.

Task Difficulty: Easy :hello2:
Instructions:

Things you'll need:
Gold nuggets :icon_pirat:
Internet access
Digital scale
Ruler
Digital camera

Use a digital scale to weigh your gold nuggets. The size and weight is the first thing a perspective buyer will want to know when they try to evaluate how much your gold is worth.

Take a picture of your gold nuggets. Lay your nuggets on a flat surface next to a ruler, then use a digital camera to take a picture that has the ruler and the nuggets all together in one shot. This will help perspective buyers evaluate the size of the nuggets you are offering.

Auction your gold nuggets at an online auction site such as eBay. You will typically get a higher price by selling your gold to individuals rather than businesses, not to mention that an auction creates an environment where the item is sold to the person who is willing to pay the most for it. If you want to make sure you receive a minimum amount of money for your gold nuggets, place a Reserve Price on your auction.

Sell your gold to an assayer. If you do not receive high enough bids at the auction to meet your price, you can also sell gold nuggets to an assayer or refiner, who will pay you the melt value of the gold according to weight.

Read more: How to Sell Gold Nuggets | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4478349_sell-gold-nuggets.html#ixzz1EtygELQM

Good luck friends!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are some nice size nuggets. All I have ever found is some nice pickers. Up to 1/4" in lenght. I still have mine in the safe....Matt

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Wow, awesome nuggets! I really want to ask how and where you found those nuggets, but I wont. :D

Thanks for the sales tips!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's my advice. Get a scale made for weighing gold. I have seen them around for very reasonable prices. Get a gold test kit to determine the quality of the gold. There are liquid tests and electrical testers. The chemical tests are probably cheaper. In most areas there are people that buy gold for cash. They travel around and can be found in certain places at certain times. When you find one know your weight and quality before you meet him. He will check it when you meet. If his results match yours, he is OK to deal with. Check with other prospectors to locate the guy. I use to deal with a guy in Quartzsite who was at a certain restaurant in the morning on certain days of the month. He charged 10% of spot, but paid extra for gold laced quartz . It was strictly a cash transaction!

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frankn said:
Here's my advice. Get a scale made for weighing gold. I have seen them around for very reasonable prices. Get a gold test kit to determine the quality of the gold. There are liquid tests and electrical testers. The chemical tests are probably cheaper. In most areas there are people that buy gold for cash. They travel around and can be found in certain places at certain times. When you find one know your weight and quality before you meet him. He will check it when you meet. If his results match yours, he is OK to deal with. Check with other prospectors to locate the guy. I use to deal with a guy in Quartzsite who was at a certain restaurant in the morning on certain days of the month. He charged 10% of spot, but paid extra for gold laced quartz . It was strictly a cash transaction!
You always have the good advice. Thanks!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Yes highly accurate, but it doesn't show troy ounces used for gold weight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread