Former hospital (1903-1926) Danville, VA being demolished near civil war sites

mrmopar

Sep 14, 2010
Danville, VA
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 4
Anyone in the Danville area may be interested in this. Good area to detect for turn of the century items and civil war relics. I am not sure who owns the property. The city is having the former hospital torn down. Also the property is within walking distance of the last Confederate capital during the civil war. There was activity at the end of the war in this area.

sdun85

Feb 21, 2011
Newport News, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked at the local regs to see if the city allows detecting? If so, that would be a great opportunity. I live in Newport News and just about every park here is locked down.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"Have you looked at the local regs to see if the city allows detecting?"

Why would a city have to specifically allow it? Wouldn't it be the other way around, and you assume you can, unless specifically dis-allowed?

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
This is private property, not city property. Permission needs to be obtained.

Skelly607

Bronze Member
May 5, 2010
Danville Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO M6 Ace 250
Its a shame Danville tore it down. Its on my paper route and watched the progress of it been torn down daily. It was sad.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Tom_in_CA said:
"Have you looked at the local regs to see if the city allows detecting?"

Why would a city have to specifically allow it? Wouldn't it be the other way around, and you assume you can, unless specifically dis-allowed?

And again the idea of ignore or presume permission with out obtaining it..
Oh well we do agree to disagree, and the argument of some local official seeing such to make a name for themselves is real,
yet again..

It is your hobby, your tools and you responsibility to learn and know the laws concerning it for an area. No laws against it, welll.....

I will still stick with the permission. I do avoid them public lands, county state or federal, LOL, I Like the private stuff.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
lostcauses, if you could find out, on your own, that there were no prohibitions against flying frisbees in a park, would you still take it a step further, and ask permission to fly frisbees? Or would you assume you can fly frisbees, in the absence of a rule against it? Why is metal detecting different? You will only risk the "no one cares UNTIL you ask" psychology. :P

(And no, I don't consider vandalism and defacement clauses to apply to this. If someone "vandalizes" and "defaces", then they need to return to target recovery 101 class.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread