tumbleinn2

Apr 24, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
WHITE"S SPECTRA V3i d2 coil 6x10 coil 5.3 coil super 12 surfmaster II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
black bear & cub wile detecting

I met an older guy named ralph, last spring on the whites forum. We decided to meet and go metal detect an old camp in Northern Michigan about 20 miles North of the Mackinaw bridge. This spot was in the middle of no were. Old Ralph, started hunting at one end of the camp in the woods. I walked over the hill and started heading to an old foundation in the bottom of the valley. I was detecting for about 15 min. Had my head phones turned up cuz I'm kinda deaf. The next thing I know. I seen out of the corner of my eye something black move. I kept sweeping the coil thinking nothing about. I was just trying find a goodie to show my new hunting buddie. Next thing I know a black bear cub runs by my side. It startled me. I look over and there was a full grown black bear 20 yards away just looking at me. I about shit my pants. I hit a couple buttons on my detector turned on my TX boost overloaded my coil held it up over my head and yell git ,git, git, It just sat there looking at me. Next I know the cub was behind me. The mother bear started to walk towards me. I was yelling and holding my detector over my head. I started back pedaling up the hill slow when my Friend pops over the hill and yells hey what ya find. I yell bears!
old Ralph ran down the hill next to me and started yelling at that mother bear with me. It Finlay turned and followed its cub back into the woods. Ralph tells me there is a landfill a few roads over on the other side of the woods you may not want to hunt down here. I told him thanks for the warning! I never found any thing on that hunt. just go's to show keep an eye out when your hunting deep in the woods in northern Michigan in the spring! Ralph said they normaly run when they see or hear humans. He also told me that its a good thing that i didnt run or I would have been lunch. well lesson learned.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Re: black bear & cub wile detecting

WOW, pretty scary adventure. I have heard that mama bears are not to friendly when cubs are around. Sounds like she gave you a break. On the other side of the coin, to be that close to a beautiful wild animal must have been awesome.

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star

I know the feeling well Tumble.........I live in Northern most Wisconsin and that is common here to run accross bears as my county has the largest population of Black bears in the USA. You were very lucky as any bear with a cub is a DANGEROUS bear!

Slipperyjack47

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Good advice Jim. Bears in the spring are no joke. I can't believe some humans that will do just about anything to get a snapshot of them. Usually ending up mauled or dinner.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!

Woodland Detectors said:
Good advice Jim. Bears in the spring are no joke. I can't believe some humans that will do just about anything to get a snapshot of them. Usually ending up mauled or dinner.

To bears, stupid people are delicious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread