Am I the only one who doesnt care much about finding jewelery?

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Re: Am I the only one who doesn't care much about finding jewelery?

Yup, you seem to be the only one. The jewlery alot of people find seems to be quite valuable. I am itching to find some for myself. ;D :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, 2 weeks after buying my first water detector I found a half carot diamond ring inside a sand castle at the beach, been hooked ever since...... With the price of gold even a really small gold ring is worth $50+......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

If I'm at the beach, then jewelry is the ultimate goal. But on land, it's a low priority, especially in something like relicky ruins type sites, where jewelry simply has super low ratios, to begin with. Coins and relics would probably be all you'll find in sites like that (thousands to one ratio anyhow), so gold jewelry is sort of the exception there. If jewelry were your goal in those locations, you've simply gone to the wrong place to find jewelry.

Same for junky urban inner city turfed parks: There are some (a lot for that matter) where you the ratio of foil wads and aluminum shrapnel would be thousands to one, so ..... again, if gold jewelry is your goal, you're much better off to simply go to swimming beaches, than to try to be a hero and strip-mine junky blighted lawns.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's where the money is if you find the real deal and not cosmetic jewelery :icon_sunny:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nope. You're not the only one.

I'd rather find an old button than a ring. I think because I feel bad for the person who lost it. I have found jewelry before and have wondered how the person felt when they found out they lost it. Bummer. If I could find the owner and return it then it would be cool. Now if we were talking something from the trade era (ie. trade silver) then I would love to find some jewelry.

-Swartzie

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nope you are not the only one. I would much rather have an old coin or relic to add to my display case. :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you want old coins here is what you do. Find the gold jewelery sale it and turn that cash into old coins. What better way to get those old coins.....Matt

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

mainer said:
Nope you are not the only one. I would much rather have an old coin or relic to add to my display case. :thumbsup:

Ditto for me. When I see a nice ring or other jewelery that someone found, I think, "wow, I bet that's worth some money".... but that doesn't really excite me. Plus, I think, "wow some poor sucker lost something big".

But when I see someone post about a really old coin find or CW relic I think, "wow, how neat it would be to find something that cool!" Just something very enticing about retriving something from long, long ago. Like rediscovering lost history, not so much lost property (if that makes any sense). Now maybe finding a a really old, historic, gold ring! :sign13:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YES ::)

dscott67

Dec 5, 2010
MS.
Detector(s) used
garrett gta 350

i'm more on the theory that i like coins about as much as i like jewerly ! i don't find a smuch J as i do coins, but it's all good nonetheless,it all melts down to $$$ :laughing7:

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't find much jewelry. The type sites I hunt are not conducive for finding jewelry. That coupled with the fact I don't live near any beaches make it unlikely I will find any bling. In my 60+ years I have never known anyone to lose a gold or diamond ring. The closest was a guy who lost his high school ring 48 years ago. Since I don't usually find jewelry I don't dwell on finding any.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea, It's a dig trash for treasure thing..

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I will dig a potential jewelry signal depending on where I'm hunting, but usually I'm just looking for older coins. I gotta say though, in some of the places I've hunted, those possible jewelry signals may be the only good targets left.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Crazy, what it comes down to is TH'S like finding the VALUE in jewerly.
On the last lot I hit before the freeze set in, I found a gold ring with a 3ct. blood red ruby that was worth $3k. It was lost in the 40's but is much older. I find it hard to believe that you would't like to pick up $3k!
OK,OK, I showed it before ,but it just fit in!

Attachments

• ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 295
  • ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 297

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn, beautiful ring :icon_thumright:

I give my wife first choice on all my finds, for some reason she grabs all the diamond rings and precious stone rings I find, not sure why. :icon_scratch: I keep all the other gold and silver rings on a necklace in my jewelry treasure chest. It also contains all the silver coins I have found to date, gold and silver earrings and so on.

I do hunt land, parks, tot lots, old lots, sidewalk tearouts and true I do prefer to hunt water, the potential for a nice high dollar find is so much higher at the beach. I am looking for that high dollar large diamond ring or precious stone ring I can give to my wife. She is a sweetheart and deserves it....... My best day at the beach found 5 rings, two had diamonds and the gold value of those rings 2 years ago was almost $800, today the gold in those are worth over $1200, that day alone paid for my detector and scoop.

I want a ring like Frankn.... ;D

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

i'll take anything gold or silver, i don't care what shape it comes in :headbang:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jewelry jewelry jewelry

I want to find SOME all I find is clad. and one crappy cheap kid toe ring from a bubble gum machine....lol

I want some jewelry--oh yes high on my list but some great old coins etc would be wonderful also.

wow you are getting me psyched to find my first jewelry anything :laughing9:

Beans11

Jan 10, 2011
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer se pro

I have to agree with oldcoon. He summed it up well. The chances of finding a coin are obviously much higher. Your going to have to put a lot of digging into maybe..finding some jewelry. I would love to find something that had some value but my chances aren't very high especially in the middle of Kansas :-\

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II

I've found my share of Gold jewelry and like most of these other posters it was found in the water. Have found a few on land but most of those were because some one had asked me to help find it.

In one case a guy that worked with my wife asked us to help find a large high KT. ring his father had left him. I figured it would read as a pulltab so I dug every pulltab reading in his back yard. I did eventually find it but I sure dug a bunch of tabs as that fella liked to have back yard cook outs and his yard was full of tabs.

Most other Gold rings I have found I was looking for coins and dug them when I got a nickle reading. Most of them were small like women's wedding band or class rings.

Had a Teknetics 8500 back in the 80's that for some reason on large Gold rings even though they would read as tabs, Wheat pennies, or screw caps they had a particular sound to them, totally different then what I would normally hear for that object. I never found a lot like that but when I heard that sound I knew what I was digging before I even started to dig. Wish I could get another detector to do that. :coffee2: Rick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread