I have a treasure i didnt know i had

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a treasure i didnt know i had. I have an old gold necklace i found years ago. Karat unknown because it wasnt marked.I knew it was gold just by looking at it and the weight.I always figured it was 10k if that so never got around to having it checked.Today i was bored so just for the hell of it i took a ride to the shop down the street. turns out it wasnt 10k but 21k plus it weighs in at little more than an ounce, a nice 960.00 in my pocket :thumbsup:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Did you sell on the first offer?? Tut tut tut :nono: :tongue3:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For same on you selling to the first shop you took it too. You should have shopped around for the best price.......Matt

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find you had but you could have done a little better on the selling side as your little trinket was worth around $1,300.00 or above but I guess the jeweller has to make a profit also and as long as your happy with what you received is all that matters. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I didnt sell yet.The usual place i sold to closed its doors about 8 years ago. If i want to travel in the hell hole of boston driving i could probably get a better price. But then again i'd probably be burning 40 dollars in gas doing so and putting up with the idiots on the road for 4 hours.I've sold things other than jewelry,precious metals or stones at this guys shop and the guy treats me pretty decent so i dont really mind putting a few bucks in his pocket.The other shops close by are run by scumbags that i know try to rip you off.At one shop i brought in a set of fostoria glasses that were appraised at 65.00 apiece, i was looking for 30 apiece for them i had a set of 8. the woman that ran the shop said she would give 5 apiece for them :laughing9: yeah right.I'll sell them to you right away.at another place i brought in a bunch of lincoln cents including a 1909 s VDB Fine Condition ,the guy tried to tell me that i didnt have anything worth much but he would give me 50 bucks for the lot. another one on my Sh_tlist that i'll never deal with. Another place i brought my ships whale oil lamp appraised at over 500.00. the guy tried to tell me it was a reproduction :laughing9: another clown. People in massachusetts arent called massholes for nothing :laughing7:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:
At one shop i brought in a set of fostoria glasses that were appraised at 65.00 apiece, i was looking for 30 apiece for them i had a set of 8. the woman that ran the shop said she would give 5 apiece for them :laughing9: yeah right.I'll sell them to you right away.

What pattern were these glasses? Appraised value and retail value are two very different things. Fostoria glasses are not high demand items and the typical pawn shop wouldn't have buyers for them.

Depending on the pattern, they don't sell for a whole lot at auction around here. I've had them in the past and they don't sell at antique malls unless you price them dirt cheap. Heck, I've had them sit on the shelf for a year at $5 each.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What pattern were these glasses? Appraised value and retail value are two very different things. Fostoria glasses are not high demand items and the typical pawn shop wouldn't have buyers for them.

I believe they were the pattern american lady if i remember correctly,crystal stem with amethyst bowls. 4 oz Cordial glasses .I know appraised value and retail is different, fair is fair thats why i was looking for slightly under half price. They were appraised at skinner auction house before they closed down. I had 8 glasses back then but i gave 4 of them to my niece on her wedding day. I just make it a point if i walk into your shop be honest with me as i would be with you. Jerk me around i'll know it and i'll take my business elsewhere, plus i'll tell everybody i know to stay away from doing business with you.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:

I believe they were the pattern american lady if i remember correctly,crystal stem with amethyst bowls. 4 oz Cordial glasses .I know appraised value and retail is different, fair is fair thats why i was looking for slightly under half price. They were appraised at skinner auction house before they closed down. I had 8 glasses back then but i gave 4 of them to my niece on her wedding day. I just make it a point if i walk into your shop be honest with me as i would be with you. Jerk me around i'll know it and i'll take my business elsewhere, plus i'll tell everybody i know to stay away from doing business with you.

Why would a pawn shop pay $30 each for something that they could go buy on ebay for $10 each? It just doesn't make any sense. For 8 of them, I would have offered you roughly $30-40. They weren't trying to rip you off, they were offering you FAIR MARKET VALUE. There is just no way an auction house would get $65 each for them, or even $30 each for them.

So, you are bad talking a business that offered you a fair price because you just aren't too educated on the subject. Nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread