Why are water scoops so over priced $$$$

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bugsterx2 said:
Treasure_Hunter,

Where can you get the Beach-Brute II or do you have a link?

They are made by Reilly's Treasured Gold exclusively for Kellyco, as far as i know the only place you can buy them is Kellyco's

Link to their page for BB-II http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm

beachbrute-1-1.jpg

I bought a stainless steel lip from Rileys Treasures and it was rivited on the lip of my scoop too.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Treasure_hunter: That scoop looks like a great design, but I was wondering, how much does it weigh and what is the dia. of the holes?

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: Those feed scoops also come in heavy gauge aluminum. They drill very nicely, they never rust, they are very cheap and you can drill the handle and attach a longer handle. Feed scoops are available in many sizes due to the varity of animal feeds used. Some people use them in ice machines for ice scoops. Cheap is the magic word. If you are opposed to or insulted by the word cheap you can insert "inexpensive". Go dig something up! :laughing9:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Treasure_hunter: That scoop looks like a great design, but I was wondering, how much does it weigh and what is the dia. of the holes?

Not home to measure the holes till this evening, till then the weight is 5 pounds with the SS lip I added to it, I also added the pro handle to it so add maybe another 1/2 pound or so..........

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Yes They do cost a lot $$$, so if you don,t have the money to buy one---->go and make one...

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
My advice is buy the best design out there, yes it will cost you some $$$$. But in the long run you will have more time detecting in the water and less down time for repairs, and failed hunts due to the scoop breaking in the water. The other thing is if you pay for a lower cost scoop you will spend additional $$$$ to replace the scoop because it's to small, inferior design, won't handle the material being sifted, frustration factor.

A good scoop is worth it period. I made my own as you can see from my avitar! It's heavy, it's big thus it's been named Scoopzilla. Can anyone use it? NOPE you have to be very strong. I use mine in the water an average 6 hours when I get to detect. I probably walk a little crooked when I get out. But it works for me. Usually get the target 90% of the time on the first scoop, if it's deep I can still get to the item before the sand backfills. The thing I learned about making my own is that it took a bunch of time to design it get it welded, do trials testing the design, redesign, retest, until I am happy with the current one. I must have spent 6 months + building ScoopZilla and over a year redesigning it and tweeking it. I have been using this scoop for 8 years now, and it still needs the ocassional repair.

I do have a post on here as to the design details of the scoop along with some pics.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
How to get the point across to some of you Americans?...hmm. Ok...you buy a really nice hunting rifle,one your friends will envy.You get it home and decide to fit it with a homemade telescopic sight made from a 2 toilet roll holders and 2 bottoms from beer bottles...the point?

Compliment your detector and save yourself some grief. Buy a good scoop for the job! :tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For new hunters and some who seem to forget.......When you buy a good new scoop, the money is not lost, your still holding it in your hand when you detect, and if you so choose you can sell it to get 75% or more of you money back....MY BeachBrute II cost $200 new, there is no doubt if I throw it up on the clasifieds here I could sell it for $150 that means it only had to recover 1 gold ring to have paid for itself and have all my investment back.... It has paid for itself many times over with out even selling it..........

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
Some ideas involving super glue, and possibly a drill.

Buy a cheap broom and dust pan set. Make sure it's the kind of broom with the twist on/off broom head. Remove the broom from the handle, and superglue the dust pan to it. Drill holes in the dustpan.

If it falls apart or breaks, you can superglue it back together or buy a new one for cheap.

Instead of a dustpan, you could get a cat litter scoop.

I just spent $2.50 on new digging tools in the toy isle at walmart. I got a fun colored plastic shovel, rake, and hoe. The shovel is great for digging in sand, and if you drill a few holes in it you could have a water scoop. It is surprisingly sturdy if you are careful with it.

There are plenty of cheap and relatively easy ways to substitute just about anything you can think of, you just have to be willing to compromise.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LadyDragonWolf said:
Some ideas involving super glue, and possibly a drill.

Buy a cheap broom and dust pan set. Make sure it's the kind of broom with the twist on/off broom head. Remove the broom from the handle, and superglue the dust pan to it. Drill holes in the dustpan.

If it falls apart or breaks, you can superglue it back together or buy a new one for cheap.

Instead of a dustpan, you could get a cat litter scoop.

I just spent $2.50 on new digging tools in the toy isle at walmart. I got a fun colored plastic shovel, rake, and hoe. The shovel is great for digging in sand, and if you drill a few holes in it you could have a water scoop. It is surprisingly sturdy if you are careful with it.

There are plenty of cheap and relatively easy ways to substitute just about anything you can think of, you just have to be willing to compromise.

Your not really serious, a dustpan or cat litter scoop glued to a broomhandle with holes, a plastic shovel with holes drilled in it as a water scoop??? :icon_scratch: If people are breaking $60 aluminum scoops with in a few weeks of buying them while digging in wet sand, how long do you really think a plastic dustpan or shovel is going to last?

No offense, but you obviously have never detected at the beach.....

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
My point was that if people are breaking $60 scoops, why waste another 60 when you could spend 5 or 10. This little plastic shovel is actually sturdier than some wood/metal shovels I've seen/used. The beaches out here are more rock than sand and that thing got through about 4 or 5 inches yesterday.

If you are spending $60 on something that is supposed to be high quality, only to have it break, why would you buy it or something similar again? At least if something like my suggestion breaks, you're only out 5 bucks every few weeks, instead of 60. Or in the case of the plastic kids shovel, $2.50. Plus if it's plastic, you don't have to worry about accidentally scratching what you are trying to dig/scoop.

$2.50/month = $30/year
$60/month = $720/year

I'm on a very limited budget. If I know that I need a widget, but no matter what kind of widget I get it will break in a short amount of time, I'm going to get the cheapest widget I can get. Now, if they sell an unbreakable version of that widget that comes with a lifetime warranty, but it costs the same amount as 200 of the cheapest widgets I can get... I would continue to buy the cheapies because it would take me too long to save that kind of money.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LadyDragonWolf said:
My point was that if people are breaking $60 scoops, why waste another 60 when you could spend 5 or 10. This little plastic shovel is actually sturdier than some wood/metal shovels I've seen/used. The beaches out here are more rock than sand and that thing got through about 4 or 5 inches yesterday.

If you are spending $60 on something that is supposed to be high quality, only to have it break, why would you buy it or something similar again? At least if something like my suggestion breaks, you're only out 5 bucks every few weeks, instead of 60. Or in the case of the plastic kids shovel, $2.50. Plus if it's plastic, you don't have to worry about accidentally scratching what you are trying to dig/scoop.

$2.50/month = $30/year
$60/month = $720/year

I'm on a very limited budget. If I know that I need a widget, but no matter what kind of widget I get it will break in a short amount of time, I'm going to get the cheapest widget I can get. Now, if they sell an unbreakable version of that widget that comes with a lifetime warranty, but it costs the same amount as 200 of the cheapest widgets I can get... I would continue to buy the cheapies because it would take me too long to save that kind of money.

The $60 scoop breaks because people did not listen to suggestions from experienced hunters and bought something that is not up to the rigors of digging in wetsand or in the water, although the $60 scoop would certainly beat digging with a plastic shovel or dustpan glued on a broom stick in wetsand, it still is not what is needed. I have yet to break any of the scoops actually designed for real use for water hunting....Have you ever tried to dig in waist deep water with a dustpan? :icon_scratch:

I really mean no disrespect to you, but what you suggest will not work. Why would someone who is serious about water hunting spend the money for the high cost of gas and waste precious time driving to the beach, set up to hunt and only spend 10 minutes if they are lucky before they have to leave because it broke. Your plastic shovel will work to a small degree in dry sand, but it is totally useless for real wetsand beach or water hunting

One hundred $1.00 widget paper boats that each sink after 10 mins will not get you home across the lake, they still do not even come close to equal the $100 boat that floats, the only thing the person with the widget boats learned to do is how to swim back to shore when their boats sank, while the person with the single $100 aluminum boat is on the other side of the lake at home enjoying diner..........

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
LOL i just realized ur in florida!

You couldn't pay me to get in the water here, it's almost freezing in the middle of summer!

You guys have warm beaches and relatively warm water...

Forget the freakin scoop, buy a snorkel and call it a day!

But on another note, your sand down there isn't as bad as here. New Smyrna is coarser grain, but loosely packed, daytona is tightly packed but fine grain. We have about an inch or 2 of sand and then mostly rock. But IN the water, I thought the sand was loose no matter where you are? So I don't understand how you break metal in loose sand unless you are being really rough on it. And I'm only suggesting this particular plastic shovel because it's durability surprised even me! Like I said, 2 inches of sand and then rock, and this little bugger got through it.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty simple really. Because nobody is willing to make a quality scoop for less money.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LadyDragonWolf said:
LOL i just realized ur in florida!

You couldn't pay me to get in the water here, it's almost freezing in the middle of summer!

You guys have warm beaches and relatively warm water...

Forget the freakin scoop, buy a snorkel and call it a day!

But on another note, your sand down there isn't as bad as here. New Smyrna is coarser grain, but loosely packed, daytona is tightly packed but fine grain. We have about an inch or 2 of sand and then mostly rock. But IN the water, I thought the sand was loose no matter where you are? So I don't understand how you break metal in loose sand unless you are being really rough on it. And I'm only suggesting this particular plastic shovel because it's durability surprised even me! Like I said, 2 inches of sand and then rock, and this little bugger got through it.

I hunt beaches on both coasts of Florida and in South Florida, wet sand here is tightly pack, even in the water after the first couple inches it is packed tight. I have pulled rings up 12+ inches deep which is why the cheap metal scoops don't last either. My first scoop was a $60 aluminum scoop, broke it in 3 weeks recovering a ring that was about 10 inches deep, and no I wasn't being rough with it, tightly back sand is hard digging..I still got the ring, but that was the last target I got that day, and it was a long frustrating 60 mile drive back home as I was not ready to quit.......

We have no rock or very little rock here except in South Florida, and even there the sand is deep, if it was only a couple inches of loose sand on top of a rock base a cheap scoop would work on shore, but still not in the water with out a snorkle and mask......

Good luck and good hunting :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread