50 years of stolen artifacts collected

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/pueblos_tribes/50-years-of-stolen-artifacts-collected

"50 years of stolen artifacts collected
Most will be returned or re-buried

Updated: Tuesday, 01 Mar 2011, 7:58 AM MST
Published : Monday, 28 Feb 2011, 10:20 PM MST

* Reporter: Alex Tomlin

ALBUQUERQUE, NM {KRQE} - It took an amateur archeologist 50 years to plunder it, but now dozens of ancient artifacts are in the government’s hands, with plans to put them back where they belong."

Story continued at link.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
lostcauses said:
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/pueblos_tribes/50-years-of-stolen-artifacts-collected

"50 years of stolen artifacts collected
Most will be returned or re-buried

Updated: Tuesday, 01 Mar 2011, 7:58 AM MST
Published : Monday, 28 Feb 2011, 10:20 PM MST

* Reporter: Alex Tomlin

ALBUQUERQUE, NM {KRQE} - It took an amateur archeologist 50 years to plunder it, but now dozens of ancient artifacts are in the government’s hands, with plans to put them back where they belong."

Story continued at link.

Trust me, the artifacts aren't going back in the ground. They have just been plundered by even bigger and better armed pirates. :icon_pirat:

Bobby Bridge

Jun 17, 2010
Center Line M I
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel sad ! Some folks say it's a fine line on what you can dig up.
I just hunt coins and hope for a gold ring, but when I'm good and gone,
I don't want anyone digging me up and dissecting my life.
That's how these folks felt I bet!!!
In Egypt they think it's in the name of science and archaeology to bring up corpses and artifacts.
This is the fine line, How do you take something from a known grave site and call it yours.
I feel
the archaeologist are robbing the graves of our ancestors, look what happened to Tutankhamun.
Shoot they pulled the head right off the body!!!
What gives anyone, "I would like to hear this" the right to mess with me and my belongings?
I feel like this_ they are mine.!!!! and were given to me for a reason that you cant under stand.
Like I said they were given to us.
Stop and think just because something it ain't happened yet don't mean it won't!
In other words, you don't know what tomorrow has in store for us.

OP
OP
L

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Bobby
Again the whole mess comes down to doing a hobby or relic hunting with in the realistic bounds of the laws. Have permission or leave it be. Stay off the lands ( public and private) that do not provide permission for what you do.
Avoid purchasing questionable artifacts, relics etc.

To many people think they can just go and do as they please on public lands with usually a simple excuse ( I pay taxes) so I should be able to do as I please on public lands.

The of road enthusiasts are also saying and doing the same thing getting roads and access to public lands shut down also.

The Professor Who Stole Ancient New Mexico Artifacts is an article most should go and read. It involves informants, special agents, etc.
"A 42-page affidavit, filed to search for GPS log books, computers and filing cabinets at a Truth or Consequences mobile home, said the investigation of Amick and his “cohorts” stemmed from a 2006 informant’s tip."

It is also a strange thing that a professor involved gets off, due to "research" . Time will tell what happens to the others involved.

I wounder what would have happened to this guy if he had of been an archeologist?? Would they have taken his stuff ??
Yet James Hamm also took a plea deal to get "Hamm took a plea deal. In exchange for turning over all the artifacts he's stolen, he was sentenced to six months house arrest. He also paid back $4,500 to the federal government."

The strange statement in the whole Hamm article is "While officials said they couldn't prove Hamm sold artifacts, Phillips said there is an enormous black market for these types of artifacts."

Again that "reason for doing is MONEY" thing. They don't get it.
Bet he does not get his record dropped if he completed it, as Amick will!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread