The Professor Who Stole Ancient New Mexico Artifacts

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
"New West Feature
The Professor Who Stole Ancient New Mexico Artifacts
A Loyola archaeology professor pleaded guilty this week to removing spear points from sites along the historic Jornada del Muerto.

By Andy Stiny, Guest Writer, 3-04-11
A Chicago professor of archeology pleaded guilty this week to a misdemeanor count of removing ancient projectile points from federal land in south-central New Mexico following an elaborate undercover “sting” operation.

Daniel Amick, 66, a professor at Loyola University in Chicago, pleaded guilty to “violating the Archaeological Resources Protection Act (ARPA) by removing archaeological resources from federal public lands,” said a news release from United States Attorney Kenneth Gonzales. Amick will serve a one-year term of conditional probation in accord with a plea agreement, the release states. '
Rest of story
http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/the_professor_who_stole_ancient_new_mexico_artifacts/C41/L41/

other info at
http://www.arrowheadology.com/
Another ‘Elaborate Sting’ Out West

OP
OP
L

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
cachecarter
You just said in a diferent thread "ALL treasure belongs to "Finders Keepers"...period...with only one caveat and it is "do not destroy or trash the site"! Cache"

Seems government got it before he did, so who do you think it belonged to. He was dumb enough to leave it there they found it later..

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that thought! dumb indian lost it, why cant I have it....

when did they come up with that law. government owns most of New Mexico.... that means US! (used to, anyway!)

OP
OP
L

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
olroy70 said:
I like that thought! dumb indian lost it, why cant I have it....

when did they come up with that law. government owns most of New Mexico.... that means US! (used to, anyway!)

So on public lands you only own 1 of approx. 307,006,550 parts of that artifact or relic.
That US part.

Hey so you all say that the Archy should also own what they find??

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about the size of an arrowhead, ya think?????????? :icon_pirat:

loved hunting that area when I lived there.......... the base was always off limits.

same as the lost gold. Knew a guy that kept that lost gold rumor going, too........... to bad he didnt live to see some of the results!!!!!!!!!!

cachecarter

Greenie
Sep 23, 2009
lostcauses said:
cachecarter
You just said in a diferent thread "ALL treasure belongs to "Finders Keepers"...period...with only one caveat and it is "do not destroy or trash the site"! Cache"

Seems government got it before he did, so who do you think it belonged to. He was dumb enough to leave it there they found it later..

Do your research before inserting you foot in mouth....Doc Noss found it first...but was locked out by the government misslie base...Johnson and thugs stole it then let the family in to get it..but of course it was gone!

OP
OP
L

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
cachecarter said:
lostcauses said:
cachecarter

Do your research before inserting you foot in mouth....Doc Noss found it first...but was locked out by the government misslie base...Johnson and thugs stole it then let the family in to get it..but of course it was gone!
research or bull....., Yep he had claims there. LOL a great way to tell every one were your treasure is, since you told the story of it in every bar, and to every person you came across... or by the stories told of him seems to be that way.....LOL.
And of course I know the story. Who was there before he was??? Who stashed it there for safe keeping? Who did that supposed stuff really belong to, he just stumbled upon??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread