Lost, anyone have some ideas?

Big Tx Hunter

Greenie
Mar 5, 2011
Rowlett, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Hi there, I am new to this whole thing and have always wanted to get into this hobby. I am picking up my Ace 350 today and wanting to head out and look for coins, rings, relics or whatever else i can find. Heck i would be happy with a couple pennies:)

I am wondering where the best places to start are going to be at... How can i find old maps so i can find old campsites, farm houses, Churches, heck any were really that is old and untouched.

I have driven around a lot looking for places, but not sure where to start or what would be allowed... I live in Texas so i know there has to be some nice stuff waiting to be dug up:)

Looking for feed back, hopefully soon because i am heading out tonight.. maybe start at the local school yards and check the tot lots, and the middle school lots.

I was told that High school football Fields are GREAT places to check for rings, your thoughts?

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet. Parks are a good place to start. Local libraries are good for research. Soccer fields, schools (when not in session) also Good luck and hope to see some of your finds on here soon :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
B

Big Tx Hunter

Greenie
Mar 5, 2011
Rowlett, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thank you Crazy. . .

I will make sure to post on here what my first find was. . . Even if it is an old tin can :)

I will check the library too

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about any place , just find one and start and move around from there.
If in doubt about if you can or not hunt call the City parks ,City hall or stop or talk to the police department and ask.
If they do not know they will know where to have you call.

Also ask people who own property if you can hunt on there's .

You just have to find a spot that looks good and might have things to find. Their is no one place that will be better than the next in till you search it and find out what is best for you.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Tx Hunter said:
Thank you Crazy. . .

I will make sure to post on here what my first find was. . . Even if it is an old tin can :)

I will check the library too

Hey, you have to crawl before you can walk :laughing7: I use an ace 250 and had to start at the bottom too. In fact, I'm still at the bottom :D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
daedalus says that if you are in doubt, to go into city halls, police dept's, etc... and "ask". I would add, that if you do take that route, you need to be sure to phrase it in this way: "is there any rules or laws regarding the use of metal detectors in this town?" Or something like "are there any prohibitions against metal detecting ...." etc.... In that way, you turn the burden back on them, to produce such an actual written rule, if there were one (there rarely is).

Because if you just went in and asked "is it ok if I metal detect at such & such place", you can sometimes get a "no", as if .......... you were asking their permission or something, rather than asking, if there is any already existing rules. The reason sometimes people have generated their own "no's" from deskbound clerks, is that the clerk may morph something st*pid they think applies, and just tell you "no", just because they think you're a geek with a shovel or something. When in fact, probably no one ever cared, or would have given it a moment's thought.

Better yet, just check the rules for yourself if in doubt. City's all seem to have websites nowadays. Do a key word search under their rules and ordinances section with combinations of words like "metal detector" etc.... If it is silent on the issue ........ then so be it. ::)

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, What Tom said!
Also don't hesitate to strike up conversations w/ old folks. They are a wealth of information, and are usually willing to part with it.
HH, RCW

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
You could always start in your own yard. Great practice and helps get used to your machine before you get in the field. No telling what you may find. That's where I started and found all sorts of interesting things!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RCW said:
Again, What Tom said!
Also don't hesitate to strike up conversations w/ old folks. They are a wealth of information, and are usually willing to part with it.
HH, RCW
DITTO WHAT TOM SAID.

Garrett puts out a lot of books for the beginner and from some of the posts I read many also need to read them. http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_successful_coin_hunting_book.aspx This one is especially good as it tells of places that many wouldn't ever think of hunting. :read2:

Just remember to make the ground where you got that target look like it did before you dug it up and pack out your trash, ya don't wanna dig it up again.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Some helpfull hints: For now, learn your detectors capabilities. Air test it on various coins and rings. Know what it is telling you. Now go to the football field but don't wast time searching it, rather hit the area surrounding it where the people stand or sit. Go to the tot lot and hit the area around the equipment and the benches where the mammas sit.
:For the future, plan ahead so you can increase your fun. the library is a good place, but to scan thru all the ghost Townes and cache sites that exist in your area get The United States Treasure Atlas volume #9 by Thomas P. Terry. It is like having the combination to the vault! You can pick it up on E Bay. After that you can add to your collection with books by Dobie and Penfield. There are a lot of books on Texas.
Good luck in your new hobby. Frank

OP
OP
B

Big Tx Hunter

Greenie
Mar 5, 2011
Rowlett, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Frankn said:
Some helpfull hints: For now, learn your detectors capabilities. Air test it on various coins and rings. Know what it is telling you. Now go to the football field but don't wast time searching it, rather hit the area surrounding it where the people stand or sit. Go to the tot lot and hit the area around the equipment and the benches where the mammas sit.
:For the future, plan ahead so you can increase your fun. the library is a good place, but to scan thru all the ghost Townes and cache sites that exist in your area get The United Treasure Atlas volume #9 by Thomas P. Terry. It is like having the combination to the vault! You can pick it up on E Bay. After that you can add to your collection with books by Dobie and Penfield. There are a lot of books on Texas.
Good luck in your new hobby. Frank

Wow, Thanks for the info on that... I will sart checking with my local library, and used book stores too. ..

I am thinking that i am about to have a new love in my life!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Go for it Big Tx you have a new life comming. Frank

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michaelangelo said:
You could always start in your own yard. Great practice and helps get used to your machine before you get in the field. No telling what you may find. That's where I started and found all sorts of interesting things!!
icon_that.gif I'd say this is the best advice given on this thread. Your own yard is the best place to "practice", which is what you will be doing until you get to know your detector. You may even want to set up a "practice garden" to learn how your machine reacts to different materials/objects. Good luck and looking forward to your finds/posts.

Attachments

• icon_that.gif
    icon_that.gif
    576 bytes · Views: 426

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Michaelangelo said:

I'll second... Or Third that idea.
It's better to start at home and learn the basics than go out and get in trouble by not knowing how to pinpoint and recover finds properly.
Study the manual on pinpointing, it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it, but to start with you'll have a little trouble.
Digging a target is also something to learn and hone. Do it at home in your own yard before you go out to a park and perhaps make a mess.

Have fun and go get'em...

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out old maps at the library. They will show you the old home steads, chuches and schools....Matt

goldhungry

Jan 2, 2009
Kimball. Mi
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark. Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey therre Tx Hunter, I lived in that area back in the mid 80's. If memory serves me right you have some great lakes around there. Try some of the local fishing holes and around boat launches and beach areas. Welcome to the hunt.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
check with your counties website, most of them have GIS utilities that will help you find owners of properties. some even have new and old arial photos.

be sure to let co-workers know of your hobby. this is how I get most of my locations. remember everyone has a relative with a house that George Washington slept in. (ok maybe not in Texas but old nonetheless :laughing9: )

Good luck and HH.

micprec

Mar 7, 2011
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
:hello2: hello, and welcome , i am also new to this hobby and find myself doing reseach online and at local library almost everyday, there is a ton of info there and the librarians always seem to be more then helpful getting you the info you need, happy hunting and looking forward to joining you on posting my first finds also on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread