What would YOU do for a klondike bar?

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
Ok, honestly I want to hear stories.

What is the CRAZIEST most outlandish thing you have ever done to get your grubby mitts on a coin, artifact, or whatever treasure you hunt/collect?

I'll start first...

:icon_pirat:
If you've ever been to a Taco Bell, you have more than likely seen the coin spin/drop game on the counter. The money goes to the Boys and Girls Club of America or something like that. Some of these games have water in them, some don't. Ours did not. I got to work one day and what did I see in our game? A Merc. Some total doofus threw a Mercury Dime in this thing.

I had my shift manager and a couple of coworkers help me fish it out. This turned into an hour long project. See, when you pull that spinner out of there, the coins fall down into the hole that it sat in, thus making it impossible to put it back... Unless your strong coworkers lift this heavy thing and dump it all into a bus tub. Then we had to put the whole thing more or less back together but semi-cockeyed so that we could SLOWLY pour the coins back in.

And before you judge me too harshly, I did NOT steal the coin, I merely REPLACED it with clad. Also in my defense, that merc was a beauty.

Your turn!

Alice

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If some one has some-then I want I just drool over it on till they say would you like this or your not getting it quit drooling and get out of here.or bargain for it.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I climbed over a 6' fence (with permission) and danced with a security guard who didn't believe me! Monty

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They called me the streak the fastest thing on two feet. Oh what fun we had in the good old days......Matt

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
<<Sorry for the long post, I think it's a good read though...>>

I received permission to hunt the grounds of an old late 1800's mansion that's very close to my house early last season. Set back in the woods, down a long winding path that's still lit by lamps. Was built and occupied by one of the city's richest lawyers (at that time). Large grounds, sitting areas around reflecting pools, several old horseshoe pits, nice gathering/eating area for parties out back, and a mini parade ground out front. These grounds were used in both WW1 and WW2 for local troops to march around and parade in front of the towns gathered wealthy. The house is in perfect condition, now owned by a local business man but not lived in. Perfect. I even posted back then in Today's Finds describing what i had to look forward to.

Bad news was I received this permission to hunt when it was late winter/early spring. On cold days the ground was hard and on warmer days everything was muddy and soaking. I happen to work for Utilities in the city where I live so, in all my brilliance, I came up with a genius solution. I got my hands on a ton of those little flags on thin metal rods that engineers use to locate and mark underground services/pipes etc. I went and detected a large portion of the grounds over the next month or so without digging a single target. I marked each one with a flag. Yellow flag for what sounded "good" (coins etc) and a red flag for others (iron, relict's, trash etc).

I waited until warmer spring weather and headed out to my fully detected and marked field. Everything will be all ready for me and premarked. Happy digging right? Not so fast. I drove up to the house and couldn't see one single flag still standing. Got out of my car and found a nice neat pile of 30 - 40 flags all staked up neatly by the driveway. "What the..." I was fuming as I stood there and surveyed my now barren fields....

Turns out the owner had hired a contractor for some reno's and stuff. he showed up before I did in spring, thought it weird that all these Utility flags were scattered haphazard over open ground. Assumed some kids were at play (Ya me!) and pulled them all out. Oh maaaaan!!

Now due to the work going on the owner asked me stay clear that summer and come back again this summer.... bummer.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if this is crazy...keep in mind it is an addiction.

Being married with two small children my hunting time is very limited. It is hard to plan to go hunting when there are kids sporting events, girl scouts, music classes, birthday parties, etc. When I was a kid I would leave the house in the morning and not see my parents until dinner time...not that I'm complaining. I love watching my kids enjoy themselves.

I happen work around 45 minutes from home so no chance of stopping home for lunch. Instant hour of detecting time...not so crazy except I wear a suit to work each day. I'm like the detecting Mr. Rogers. Pull up to a site, change my dress shoes for sneakers, change my nice coat for a dirty one, put on gloves to keep the dirt off my hands then start detecting. Sometimes it is a challenge to keep the dirt of my suit slacks but I've got pretty good at it.

While detecting in a suit I've found everything from gold jewelery to Spanish silver to large cents and everything in between.

NJ

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 12 years ago, when I was 16, I collected action figures, mostly Star Wars. When the new stuff started coming out and I was all about them and would get to the retail stores as soon as they were brought out on pallets. There was big competition for them and a lot of the employees were taking the good stuff before they would hit the floor. So, I used to go in the back room of the store, open up the box of figures on the pallet and then hide them in weird places. I'd come back when I had money and buy them :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread