Warning about craigslist antiques + collectibles for sale

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was checking out antiques and collectibles on craigslist the other day and came across an ad for a nazi dagger. Whoever was selling it added the info on the dagger thats inscribed into the blade. It said made in berlin (in german of course). To make a long story short it took less than 5 minutes to find out the original daggers were manufactured in solingen not berlin.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:
I was checking out antiques and collectibles on craigslist the other day and came across an ad for a nazi dagger. Whoever was selling it added the info on the dagger thats inscribed into the blade. It said made in berlin (in german of course). To make a long story short it took less than 5 minutes to find out the original daggers were manufactured in solingen not berlin.

In todays world with the resourses at our finger tips anyone who doesn't do a little research is asking to be scammed....

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nazi daggers are notorious for being fakes, starting with 'parts daggers' made in Spain with real parts right after the war by the same guys that made them just a few years earlier. How you gonna spot those?

Indian artifacts as well. I got burned buying some copper arrowheads many years ago, never again.

I refuse to buy arrowheads any more, it's just too easy to fake them.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not unique to craigslist. It's an issue of Caveat Emptor, everywhere. Ebay, antique shops, etc.

I remember when these things (fake Nazi medals, daggers, etc) hit the scene hard in the late 1990's, how many people were getting hosed left and right. The lesson is, in the internet age, always do your research. If you're buying something based on 'hunch' and you aren't an expert in that field, you can safely assume that there's a workshop somewhere in China striving to make copies that will screw you hard and you'd better be prepared to take a loss.

If it's an 89 year old woman selling it off at a garage sale along with a GI Footlocker full of other WWII stuff, that's one thing. If it's some random moron from the internet, something entirely different and warrants total caution.

Bum Luck said:
I refuse to buy arrowheads any more, it's just too easy to fake them.

Yeah. I'm pretty much at the point that unless something can be fully quantified as being authentic (either via institutional provenance or scientific testing), I have no interest in buying it. This goes for pretty much all stone artifacts and most ancient coins.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are all correct, of course,

But, I'd like to add "sellers" to that list. If you have something to sell, make sure you know what you are selling - sometimes sellers think things are reproductions, and they aren't, or they really think something is real, and it isn't.

If you are going to sell something - take the time to "check it out", also.

If you ever watch "Pawn Stars", you will see lots of folks who think they have something great, and don't, or think they have something but don't know what, and people who will take 100 bucks for a piece worth $10,000. (luckily, the Pawn Stars are being taped and are honest).

Not every seller knows what they have or what it is worth.

Beth

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Craigslist? Shop at your own risk ::) There are so many scams and lurking crooks hiding behind there computer :o Buyers beware ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread