getting ride of the paper dollar

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The goverment talked about this 10 years ago. All it is talk. They say a dollar bill only last around 2 years and a coin will last 50. So if this is so they should just quit making the dollar and my us use the coins. I will beleive it when I see it being done......Matt

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I saw a story about this on one of the news sites . They stated that the average dollar bill life was in months . And the coin would last an average of 15 years , so they had started removing the paper dollar and replacing it with the dollar coin.

I do know that in the last few months around where I have been traveling the change machines have quit giving out paper dollars and are giving out the coin dollar now . It may just be chance that this happened to me but it may be real . It was a major new site that had the story so one could most likely find it with a search . I know that I put in a 20 dollar bill and wham I had a pile of dollar coins .

Can you even think about carrying around $10.00 or $20.00 dollars in your pocket like we do dollar bills now ! LOL I will have to buy new jeans .....

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
Daedalus said:
Yeah I saw a story about this on one of the news sites . They stated that the average dollar bill life was in months . And the coin would last an average of 15 years , so they had started removing the paper dollar and replacing it with the dollar coin.

I do know that in the last few months around where I have been traveling the change machines have quit giving out paper dollars and are giving out the coin dollar now . It may just be chance that this happened to me but it may be real . It was a major new site that had the story so one could most likely find it with a search . I know that I put in a 20 dollar bill and wham I had a pile of dollar coins .

Can you even think about carrying around $10.00 or $20.00 dollars in your pocket like we do dollar bills now ! LOL I will have to buy new jeans .....
back in 1980's i was a marine and when i was visiting mexico, i would cash out a us 1.00 bill every time i bought something, and get pockets full of peso's back. my pocket was bulging with almost 40-50 coins when we got back to arizona, but added up it was like $1.40.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I occasionally find them and also Canadian Loonies and Tunies.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm all for it.
Unless it means that there will be twice as many detectorists out there looking for them.
Then I'm all against it.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
They have been talking about this for a long time but I haven't seen what your talking about here in central Illinois yet, and Walmart isn't giving the coins as change in our area and that's usually the first place this shows up. Rick :coffee2:

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are saying your going to find lots of $1 coins detecting, in Canada we have had $1 coins since the 1980s and you don't find them as often as you think maybe if your lucky 1 or maybe two a hunt in the right spot because people always know were those ones are and they are rather big so people always see them lying on the ground and pick them up,

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
NOTE: actually there is no paper money. Our bills are made of cotton.
As for the mexican peso, you saved the wrong coin. Their 5cent coin is the same size as our quater and it works. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions