Pacific Tsunami conditions may yield some interesting finds!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be Possable !

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
no, the tsunami waves were not the type to do erosion. Yes it did property damage, almost all of it inside harbors (old river mouth inlets) d/t the water rushes in and out narrow openings. But as far as regular open facing beaches, it didn't do any appreciable erosion, like a regular heavy swell would do. Also figure it occured at low tide time of the day, and the resulting high water mark created by an extra few feet from the tsunami, was actually no higher than a standard 6-ish ft. high tide, which occurs all the time, every month, year round.

So no beach erosion for our purposes, out of this.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Speculation, as I Never read about Tsunami.
But When the Water Drops
& Recedes Before The Title wave.

Dosn't that "recession" Pull sand Out With It ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have to remind ourselves that we may have Japanese members here that have lost someone in the Tsunami.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Jeff of PA, if the water were reaching to where it hadn't/wasn't already "acclimated" to, then perhaps you would have a point. But in this case, it came at the low tide time. So even when you add the footage of the surge, to the low-tide height, the resulting height STILL wasn't even above the high water mark, of even a normal high tide time.

Or put another way: There are some storms with their accompanying swells, that we watch and monitor closely for their time of land-fall. And if the "swell train" happens to be short (say.... just a 6 hour bubble of time) and that time happens to occur at a low tide time, we've noticed that as FIERCE as the waves may be, they still do not do the erosion as it would have done, had the swell-train come during the high tide time. Why? Because fierce waves bashing around down there in the normally wet zone, does not do the erosion damage that fierce waves bashing around up in the normally high-dry sand does.

Thus, again I say: this did no erosion (for beach md'ing sakes) to our west coast of the USA. Not sure what it did in Japan, but for us, it occured during the low tide time. Also, unlike storm driven swells, if I'm not mistaken, a tidal wave isn't a continuous multi-hours long event. It's just a single "boom" period, right? Again, un-like the ingredients of normal storm driven erosion, which goes on for an entire day, etc....

OP
OP
F

FoundHere

Dec 21, 2010
Tom_in_CA said:
Jeff of PA, if the water were reaching to where it hadn't/wasn't already "acclimated" to, then perhaps you would have a point. But in this case, it came at the low tide time. So even when you add the footage of the surge, to the low-tide height, the resulting height STILL wasn't even above the high water mark, of even a normal high tide time.

Or put another way: There are some storms with their accompanying swells, that we watch and monitor closely for their time of land-fall. And if the "swell train" happens to be short (say.... just a 6 hour bubble of time) and that time happens to occur at a low tide time, we've noticed that as FIERCE as the waves may be, they still do not do the erosion as it would have done, had the swell-train come during the high tide time. Why? Because fierce waves bashing around down there in the normally wet zone, does not do the erosion damage that fierce waves bashing around up in the normally high-dry sand does.

Thus, again I say: this did no erosion (for beach md'ing sakes) to our west coast of the USA. Not sure what it did in Japan, but for us, it occured during the low tide time. Also, unlike storm driven swells, if I'm not mistaken, a tidal wave isn't a continuous multi-hours long event. It's just a single "boom" period, right? Again, un-like the ingredients of normal storm driven erosion, which goes on for an entire day, etc....

The shore areas in and near harbors, inlets, and other areas where the Tsunami conditions were most apparent may be areas to search; as such conditions (other than the usual tides, swells, currents, etc.) may have stirred-up local geologies.

Our thoughts and prayers, go out to those effected by the Japan disaster. Please contribute assistance towards disaster recovery!

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is so incredibly sad to see the devastation. My heart goes out to all those affected.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I could detect in an area with such devastation.
Lived and survived Hurricane Andrew and Wilma in S. Florida, finding food, gas and water was more important than tekkering. Also I would be trying to save and help people, priorities, ya know!
Many prayers, love and positive thoughts for our neighbors in Japan, and for those with family there worldwide.

If all would like to de-stress, relax, breathe, and live in a moment of peace, please see the following link. Just a short clip, but well worth it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First line of First Post

Those searching Pacific Coast and Hawaii beaches

It Dosn't appear to me he is talking of Searching Japan
at all.

As far as I'm aware Hawaii Didn't Have any "devastation"
Either.

In fact I Only heard of one Death on the West coast of the US.
The Guy Swept out while taking Pictures

& Not even sure that Happend.

May have been a New Urban Legend Started
to Scare People from getting too close to the beach
that day.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Jeff, yes, thankyou for clarifying that. I was wondering why some folks thought this question had to do with Japan, and not the west coast of the USA, when the post clearly started out with nothing at all to do with Japan and everything to do with the impact on our west coast.

And yes, the one death here was someone going to the water's edge asking for trouble. And the fact is, there are probably several deaths a year, just in REGULAR swells/surf, from swimmers, beach-goers, etc.... here. The news said the last surf-side death from Tsunami waves was 1964 here, however, there are deaths every year from people who get pulled out, simply being beach goers. There was a death last year, for example, in Carmel beach (near Monterey, CA) during a period of heavy swells, that had nothing to do with Tsunamis.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Jeff, yes, thankyou for clarifying that. I was wondering why some folks thought this question had to do with Japan, and not the west coast of the USA, when the post clearly started out with nothing at all to do with Japan and everything to do with the impact on our west coast.

And yes, the one death here was someone going to the water's edge asking for trouble. And the fact is, there are probably several deaths a year, just in REGULAR swells/surf, from swimmers, beach-goers, etc.... here. The news said the last surf-side death from Tsunami waves was 1964 here, however, there are deaths every year from people who get pulled out, simply being beach goers. There was a death last year, for example, in Carmel beach (near Monterey, CA) during a period of heavy swells, that had nothing to do with Tsunamis.

We have deaths here on the East coast of Florida every year from people getting caught in a rip current and not knowing how to get out of it, they will try to swim back to shore and drown due to exhaustion, rather than swimming parallel to shore till they are out of the current then swim ashore.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions