Rock tumblers and medium used

jf504mp

Feb 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
A friend of mine recently got into detecting. He has found a few coins and since then has bought a rock tumbler/polisher.

He asked me about what medium to use to clean up his coins. I don't know much about this. He said the tumbler was a Science Tech. and that it has a timer on it for 1,2,3 or 4 days. It came with four types of polishing powder. From course to final finishing.

I have no idea of how this will effect the coins. I think he just wants to clean them up some.

Any advice would be much apprecitated...thanks....John

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I do to clean mine and it dose great and the banks takes them with no problem.

Full canister about half way with fish gravel. Put in a half cup of coins make sure you separate the clad from the pennies. Put in 2 drops of dawn dish soap seal up canister and tumble for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. dump out and rinse clean.

I pour my out onto a towel and try to pat dry some then let them air dry. I have never had a problem with my banks taking them and they look pretty good. Hope this help.......Matt

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
mlayers said:
This is what I do to clean mine and it dose great and the banks takes them with no problem.

Full canister about half way with fish gravel. Put in a half cup of coins make sure you separate the clad from the pennies. Put in 2 drops of dawn dish soap seal up canister and tumble for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. dump out and rinse clean.

I pour my out onto a towel and try to pat dry some then let them air dry. I have never had a problem with my banks taking them and they look pretty good. Hope this help.......Matt

:icon_thumright: Do the same myself. Works Great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread