Anyone else finding a lot of wheaties in their change?

skylarking1970

Feb 17, 2009
Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State!!!!!! Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum
I'm just wondering if my luck has been really good, but I have always pulled out wheaties when I get them in my change. I use to find one maybe every other month. For the past year, I have been finding a lot. Like maybe at least one every week. Last Sat. at work, the manager shows me this "strange" silver penny that he got in the drawer. (a 1943). He then tells me that the drawer is full of old pennies. So I buy them (17 wheats in total, with two being 1943's). Later that week, I got 2 more wheats in my change. Not that I'm complaining, but why couldn't they be silver quarters?!?!?! Has anyone else been finding a lot of wheats in their change?

skydog

Mar 16, 2011
I haven't noticed any more than usual. I work on a cash register and also accept change orders from Brink's. The first thing I do is scan the rolls for silver! About once a month I'll get a silver quarter or dime or a war nickle. Last week a woman came in and purchased something using 4 68 Kennedy halves. Usually get a wheat once a day or more. Today I got a rather worn buffalo nickle. I can't leave them so I take it no matter what condition.

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably has to do with the hard times people are in and they are getting into their piggy banks to the older change...my 2 cents.

capt.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't pulled a wheatie out of my change in months. Still getting them in boxes I search though. I have found 2 silver dimes though in my change recently. One of them a 1940 Canadian.

grimysmurf

Greenie
Oct 21, 2010
Berkeley Springs , WV
Detector(s) used
Now . Equinox 800 , Fisher CZ6a
Past . AT Pro , Whites Coinmaster , Ace 250 , Bounty hunter pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,My wife and I were talking about this just the other day . We are finding more silver and wheats in our change . We think it has something to do with the economy . I always check my jars of change before the coinstar run but I guess not everybody else does . JD

grimysmurf

Greenie
Oct 21, 2010
Berkeley Springs , WV
Detector(s) used
Now . Equinox 800 , Fisher CZ6a
Past . AT Pro , Whites Coinmaster , Ace 250 , Bounty hunter pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a 2 dollar bill the other day to . That doesnt happen much . JD

S

stefen

skylarking1970 said:
I'm just wondering if my luck has been really good...Last Sat. at work, the manager shows me this "strange" silver penny that he got in the drawer. (a 1943). He then tells me that the drawer is full of old pennies. Has anyone else been finding a lot of wheats in their change?

Jeez, I must be getting old...I had to chuckle about the comment regarding the strange '43 steel penny...Let me guess, you're an under 20 student!

If you are facinated with wheaties, then you might want to start a collection and eventually upgrade to Uncirculated or Mint quality...

Now you need to research the strange 'Flying Eagle' penny ;D
(It was actually called a nickle due to its composition)

Another strange coin to research is the 'Hobo Nickle'...

Get a copy of the 'Red Book' for your reference library and read it from cover to cover...

Enjoy

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 157
  • LEROY BROWN.jpg
    LEROY BROWN.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 155
  • OWL.jpg
    OWL.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 153
  • VIKING.jpg
    VIKING.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 162
  • VIKING II.jpg
    VIKING II.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 157
  • LEROY BROWN.jpg
    LEROY BROWN.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 156
  • OWL.jpg
    OWL.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 153
  • VIKING.jpg
    VIKING.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 157
  • VIKING II.jpg
    VIKING II.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 160

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WOW! this is the coolest post I've seen in a while...those old nickels rock. :headbang:

S

stefen

It's not unusual for hobo nickels or love tokens to have values exceeding $10,000...

Or with starting bids at $500+ on eBay....

lookininpa

Greenie
Mar 23, 2011
Delaware County, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 w/sniper coil, HF pp
I read your post and said to myself...I haven't seen a wheatie in circulation for awhile.
Came home from the store with a 1945 tonight. Decent shape too considering, not worn much at all.

Now pls start a post about finding winning lottery tickets......lol

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
funny ya mention it because on friday i got a 1917 wheatie from my change at McDonalds, then saturday i picked up a slice of pizza up the road and got a 1949 wheatie........i hope next time i'm out i get some silver in my change :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread