Replacing the paper $1 for the dollar coin version?

Lizard-Prince

Jun 5, 2008
Bayamon P.R.
Detector(s) used
DFX,BH ID,5000s2,AT Max,MX Sport,Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi! buddys I am back on the run again. I thought this subject would be interesting so I decided to bring it here.I was accesing my yahoo account a few days back and I saw a subject in the yahoo data page that caught my attention.A title that is more or less the one I placed on this posting.When I clicked on the article it was a news telling people of a suposed plan the goverment or the treasurey had on switching or eliminating the paper dollar and producing in its place $1 coins for circulation.After reading thru the article witch was quite a surprise for me,a little mischevious idea came to mind and I said to myself why not.I thought I would like to make a comment to the reporter who made the article to let him or her know what I felt of the stated news.Fortunatly I found an area that I could make such a comment there was a spot to submit an opinion.Allthough days later I could not find my post because it was lost in between the so many over 17 thousand submitions,I allways thought if someone liked or disliked my approval.I agree on such a change done by the treasury or governor,because I think we hunters would benefit greatly on a wider circulation of dollar coins.A lot more higher denomination coin like this would get lost by careless users and obviously our hunting forays would be more rewarding.Finding more of these at the beach or parks with our detectors would be soooo sweeeet.The idea of watching the size of the coin is important we don't want to confuse them like with the Susan Anthony dollars thinking they are quarters.Yes the claims done by others is allso valid in terms of extra weight for our pockets and as far as strippers in night clubs having a hastle with them... well this would be the down side of this.Others said eliminate the penny instead.Folks what do you think of this subject honestly?Thumbs up or down?LP :icon_scratch:

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
I would like to see a new dollar coin, but it has to be as large as a half dollar to avoid confusion. I have gone hunting in the change I put on the nitestand and found five of the presidential dollars that were given as quarters in change. I would like to see the end of the penny tho. Then maybe some of the zincolns would be worth something....lol. goat

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
This topic is already posted above, but just to let you know, there is no paper money our bills are made of cotton. As for getting rid of the penny, can you jest see the sales taxes rounded up? Frank

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The cent- the 'basis point' of our currency- has become so utterly worthless that its mere existence is in question.
THIS is a huge problem.

When my grandfather was born, gold coins were money.
When my father was born, silver coins were money.
When I was born, copper coins were still money.

Now, money is nothing more than a 'promise' made by people who run our monetary system like a Banana Republic as the value of our earnings and savings keeps lessening, year after year, while a small handful at the top enrich themselves as a result of these manipulations.

I'm sick and tired of "currency redesigns". It used to be that a long-standing currency design was a sign of stability and security. It's why places like the US and Switzerland had the same currency products for such a long time...
It's time to reorient our thinking in terms of how we handle our currency and the value behind it. Redesigning our money over and over like a Bahamian Commemorative Mint spitting out limited edition Princess Dianna collector coins does not inspire confidence, nor does the ever-decreasing spending power we seem to be suffering.

Rant over.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, replace the bill with coin, and out with the penny. The dollars need to be a size that dosent get confused with a quarter, the sales tax and other things can still be counted in cents, but at the checkout, just rounded out to the nearest 5 cents, it works in Europe, why not the US?

And as for the problem with the stripper, are you that cheap that you only give her a dollar?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
maipenrai said:
And as for the problem with the stripper, are you that cheap that you only give her a dollar?

In Thailand, I just throw nickles at them.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the problems is that people now days do not want to "carry" large heavy coins. That is why the half dollar rarely circulates. Heck, people don't even like carrying the new (slightly larger than a quarter) dollar coin. Since the introduction of the Susan B. Anthony dollar in 1979, dollar coins have never "circulated" and have only been more or less a curiosity.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way it is going it is really not going to matter , it is getting to the point if you do not have a bank card you can not buy.
I have seen some small shop's last summer that would not take any bills over a 20.00 , and wanted you to use a bank card instead .

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The gov. loves the bank cards, the paper trail leads right to you. The credit card companies love them for the 3% they skim right off the top. Frank

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
And lets not forget about the thieves that love those bank cards too.

Bank cards are just a quick way to give lowlifes an easy way into your account where they will drain it.

Or if your unlucky they just hit you up for a $100 every now and then and banks tell there's no fraud after all you still have your card. Like they ain't never heard of card reader/writers.

After getting hit twice and being told sorry about your luck by the bank I will no longer use the card for anything other than the ATM feature. If I have to use a card I pull the credit card out, at least they are not blind to the problems.

~~Happy Hunting~~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread