HOW DO COINS GET TO THEIR DEPTH IN THE GROUNG?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if the coin is in a sandy based soil they work down from conditions such as freezing and thawing repeatedly kind of alters the soil slightly, grass growing up works the coin down into the soil. If the soil is more clay based it seems it does not work its way down so much. If the coin was dropped in a field that has been plowed several times it really can work its way down. There are just several ways I guess you could say. Just look at something that has been sitting a long time on the ground itself like beer cans and stuff on top of the ground. It is like the grass and leaves consume it and push it down into the ground and the same thing goes for coins. I guess that is kind of how it does it, Tim

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same way arrowheads get burried so deep, freezing and thawing, grass and weeds growing, leaves failling and decomposing, dirt blowing....It all adds up............

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Treasure_Hunter said:
Same way arrowheads get burried so deep, freezing and thawing, grass and weeds growing, leaves failling and decomposing, dirt blowing....It all adds up............

Agree :thumbsup:, combination of temperature variations, weather, and airborne dust,dirt, debris settlement.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our 125 year old city park sits along side the Arkansas river which floods on average every 3- to 40 years. Each flood has deposited 3 to 6" of silt/mud covering any coins. There are areas where you can physically see that coins would be 24" deep.

From this picture you can see there is a 24" tall brick wall built in the 30's. In the distance you can see where the inside ground level used to be the same as the outside, but at this end the floods have filled it in even with the top of the 24" wall. To recover coins from the 1930's and earlier would be 24" or more.

It is a great place to test how deep different detectors can get because the depth varies from the far left where they are around 6" deep to the wall where they are more than 24" deep. Only one detector, so far, can reliably pull coins from mid-field at around 10 to 12".

I used to doubt the claims people made of finding coins at 12" but not any more.

wright4.jpg

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vibration from vehicles, jack hammers,sonic booms,construction activities.will settle them all-so.

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
neuseman said:
jUST WONDERING HOW THE COINS AND THINGS THAT WE ALL FIND GET SO DEEP IN THE GROUND. sOME PEOPLE SAY THEY FIND COINS AT DEPTHS OVER 1 FOOT.

Ok, you caught us.... We go around burying those coins that deep for you to find. Makes for an exciting hunt!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the opportunity for humour! LOL!

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the coin weighs mare than the soil so the coin sinks down until it packs soil under it so it can't go deeper or it gets stopped by rocks or harder packed dirt or there is lots of traffic in one aria so the coin goas deeper than it normally would, example if you put a coin in a sand box or at the beach and you repeatedly step on it you will find the coin far down into the sand.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Worms, snakes, crawdads, kids digging underground forts, wood chucks, all tunnel under the coins making them drop faster. Always check woodchuck tailing piles, I have found lots of coins and other stuff that the critters re-deposited up top, from dirt down under.....NGE

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I did a post on this a while back and did a lot of testing to back it up. Here's my main conclusions.
-Things do not sink in the ground! Here's the exception loose sand and vibration. It's a physics rule that bodies at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. In this case vibration. Another physics rule states that all things fall at the same rate.
-Frost and thall have no effect on coins. Frost lifts ! This is known as frost heave. Ever see a road buckle up. They never buckle down, from frost that is.
-Now lets get to the real reason things are deep in the ground. There are several reasons.
: organic materials falling on the ground and decomposing is the main reason for coverage.
: as stated above, flooding is a big part of covering things, although it can do a good job of uncovering also.
: Wind this is the main factor in the desert SW areas. I have seen cars in the desert that have been the same spot for probably 80 years and they aren't in the ground. I have found green cartridge cases laying on the ground from 45/70s in the desert. Wind works both ways, it can hide and reveal items.

There is a certain person that did not agree with my first post. He claimed heavier objects will always sink.
I pointed out there are a lot of head stones in the cemetery that seem to defy that theory.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
notgittinenny said:
Worms, snakes, crawdads, kids digging underground forts, wood chucks, all tunnel under the coins making them drop faster. Always check woodchuck tailing piles, I have found lots of coins and other stuff that the critters re-deposited up top, from dirt down under.....NGE
......Your kidding right.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
It happens the same way when you're digging a target that is only, really 3 inches deep, then ya can't find it, so you re-scan the hole, and it is still deeper (you actually made it fall deeper) in the hole, than it originally was by tunneling under the target and not knowing it. Unless the target IS in the plug you just cut, it is possible that you made it go deeper by loosening the dirt under it. Just like a mole that tunnels under a coin or whatever, and through vibration, being stepped on, or weight of the object, it falls on its own to greater depths............NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions