Silver inside steel?

Squishy

Jul 19, 2009
OK... this is kind of exciting. I got permission to hunt an old farm site. The owner was an old bachelor who lived there most of his life. He reportedly had money but didn't really spend much. His family always speculated that he probably had cream cans full of money buried on his land.

The man passed away years ago and the house has been torn down. Nobody has ever searched the property with a detector. Can't wait for the snow to melt! I think I will start in the grove where the house was. If I can find out where the master bedroom was, I will start in the area of the grove that could have been seen from that bedroom window.

So...I know it is a long shot, but a person can dream of treasure, right? :) Since the house is gone, I can assume that there will be nails everywhere. I will need to discriminate them out. If there are, in fact, silver coins buried in a steel container and I discriminate out the steel nails, will the detector still see the steel container or the silver inside it?

Thanks for any advice!
-Mike-

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Something the size of a cream can will probably break through your discrimination barrier. but to be sure, test it out on a similar target. And be sure to look for depressions in the ground. Frank

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nail won't make your detector scream like i big object unless it's a spill,it all depend on if you got a good detector with a lot of dept it mite be a couple of feet deep and low end detector won't go down that far if you get a good signal raise your loop off the ground if it nail the signal should disappear after a couple of inches but if it's a big target you should be able to lift it way off the the ground be fore the signal disappears I would dig every good beep and if you got a dept meter I would dig ever deep target that beeps. Coins don't mark out as big targets like a coffee can will or a steal box.hope that help sounds like it mite be a box loop affair.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Get yourself a Two Box detector, they are designed to pick up very large metal objects very deep.

The beauty of them is they won't pick up small items like nails or individual coins saving you a lot digging. If that baby picks it up it's big and depth won't mean a lot to it as it will pick it up several feet deep. You can also cover a lot of ground much quicker then with a small hand held detector.

Several companies make them but two that comes to mind is Whites and Garrett.

Best of luck and let us know how you come out.

K

Kentucky Kache

Good advice from everyone.
I would say either a two box, or a good detector with at least a 15" coil. Of course the two box will go deeper and have better discrimination. With a two box, dig every signal. With a detector/large coil, dig all GOOD signals.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a large steel milk jug type item will most likely "overload" the detector causing a spitting or odd type noise = even at depth such a big item should ring up well --setting your detector to ignore "small" iron like nails will most likely not make it by pass such a large item -- it simply put is too "big" of a target for the machine to easily "ignore".

for larger & deeper sizible tems -- 2 box is the way to go

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike it does not hurt to dream about the hunt . That is one of the things that make this Hobby so much fun !
Your detector should find anything that he would have put in the ground , and if it was large you will find it as
digging a hole to bury something large was hard work and most just wanted it to be safe , not take hours to dig up.

If there were any old buildings that had dirt floors in them , I would look in those spots also . As they could dig without being
seen from the outside .
Sounds like you have the right Idea on finding some stash that he might have put in the ground . Keep at it and let us know
what you find .

Good Luck !

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure you need a 2box detector since he undoubtedly buried those tins at least 4 to 5 feet under the ground. That way he could get to them when he needed them without any trouble or commotion. :tongue3:

Now to answer your question: your detector will only see the box outside. It will not see the silver contained within. Your best bet is to work in all metal mode, assuming your machine is set up for it. It's a pain with all the junk in the ground. But, how bad do you want to find the cache? If you lack an all metal mode, then, I guess, you would go at it with a relic program.

Good luck and...

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread