Need help pinpointing

mstoroe

Mar 23, 2011
hello all, a bit of a noob, and i need any advice you can give me to pin point the objects my detector is showing me. I had wanted to get a metal detector for years, and after a good friend got a whites v3I to search for supposed burried treasure on some property he had just purchesed, I decided the time was right, and got one also. Ive been using it for a few months now, and keep running into the same problem. the detector says there is something in the ground and i start digging, but i cant find it. Yesterday, I got a good consistant vdi of 95 on a spot in a nearby park. I started diging, about 10'' diamater hole and about 10'' deep, but cant find the object. I dont want to widen the plug, so i keep trying to widen the hole below the plug. Everytime I re-scan the hole my v3i tells me its right in the middle 5'' down, I dig and dig and dig, I kept widening the hole, and dig some more. Finally, after about 30 min of excavation i gave up and fill the hole back up in frustration. I know there was something there, but how can i find it more efficiently?
thanks for any advice

dimetime

Greenie
Mar 23, 2011
go back and dig the hole,the detector dont lie,i found a time capsule from the fifties i gave up on digging 2 years ago and stumbled back onto it and dug the target this time and then pulled out the loot!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be a big hunk of deep iron. Lift your loop off the ground and swing it. Keep raising it until the signal disappears. If you hear it with your coil 5 or 6 inches off the ground it's big iron. That 10" coil will pick up large iron a couple feet! 95 on your VDI is really boarderline for hitting iron and maxing your scale. Not many coins hit that high up that will ring loud over 10".
Guess your using the bars to help you pinpoint? Which bar is showing the strongest? If it isn't the one for silver...it's iron.

Pinpoint center on my stock coil for the Vision is just in front of the shaft.

You can also buy a pinpointer. Never used one til last year and discovered I liked it.

Al

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It does sound like a big piece of iron.

A big piece of iron will trick a detector in to thinking it's silver. Especially, if it's been in the ground for a while. It has something to do with the eddy currents your coil generates in a large piece of iron. It will return a nice high conductive signal. Circular objects will also have the same effect of signaling up higher.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread