Trying to get back into it but this economy making it hard.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone one else feeling this? Years ago I owned a XLT, loved it and wish I never let it go and for the last few years I been itching to get back to the hobby but detector prices are up there. I know getting a cheap one will only fustrate me. With work cutting all overtime and loosing 12K last year my option is a used Febay detector. I have a bid in and even though I see bankruptcy in the near future there has to be some kind of happiness found. My wife understands and if there is anything that might put me in a better mood she is for it. So all I can do is research and bid until I am back in the game again, good thing I like Mac and Cheese, lol.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with a good used detector.......things will get better.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your better of doing research on gold in your neighbor hood and buy a gold pan or join the gpaa and get a gold pan then fallow them a round it's cheaper and funner I don't think you can make a living metal detecting up there or do a lot of research on old places get permission and hunt you never no what you can find.

there's a lot to no about detectors them self buy the time you find a nuff to pay the detector off it could take a year or one day it all depends were you are and if you put the coil over it and if your detector can go down that far to see it.and what your detector is telling you once it found it.you pretty much have to dig every thing that beeps and you have to no how to retrieve the target so you don't mess the spot up your at.some people don't give a darn and leave there holes uncovered or they cover them back up but did a sloppy job.

the price of one detector can pay four a months of bills one find from a detector can buy you a house.it's luck and research,gold panning would be my first thought.

liftloop

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes a man gotta do what a man gotta do.
If you're willing to eat Mac n cheese as a sacrifice for some silver lining in a gloomy cloud...go for it. And you have a supportive wife...that's awesome!

Seriously...if you don't do it and that itch is bad enough, you'll just kick yourself every day you don't and just get even more depressed. Gettin out to detect, some sun, fresh air...listening to that subtle hum of your machine...sooo soothing. :coffee2:

I know.

Al

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liftloop, I'm not looking to make a living from metal detecting just looking for peace of mind, kinda like being on the water. Sometimes alone and quiet time is what ya need and I would rather the silence be broken by the loud beep on a good signal then the bill collectors blowing up my phone.
You have to think of it like fishing, I don't fish for the food- hence I don't detect for the money.
I have a uncanny knack for finding things and it's not uncommon for me to stop the truck and tell the wife to get out and pick up that wallet, this year I have returned 2 so far and found a $20. in a parking lot. I've returned every wallet that had ID(except one had no ID).
The cost of everyday things just makes it hard, things we use like gas, food shopping and such are going thru the roof and there is no way for me to justify buying a $1000. detector, but I'll start small and I have a neat place I want to detect, if it goes well who knows, maybe I'll be getting one of those $1000. detectors.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
DIGDIG said:
Liftloop, I'm not looking to make a living from metal detecting just looking for peace of mind, kinda like being on the water. Sometimes alone and quiet time is what ya need and I would rather the silence be broken by the loud beep on a good signal then the bill collectors blowing up my phone.
You have to think of it like fishing, I don't fish for the food- hence I don't detect for the money.
I have a uncanny knack for finding things and it's not uncommon for me to stop the truck and tell the wife to get out and pick up that wallet, this year I have returned 2 so far and found a $20. in a parking lot. I've returned every wallet that had ID(except one had no ID).
The cost of everyday things just makes it hard, things we use like gas, food shopping and such are going thru the roof and there is no way for me to justify buying a $1000. detector, but I'll start small and I have a neat place I want to detect, if it goes well who knows, maybe I'll be getting one of those $1000. detectors.
Wise in this day an age. Stay with in your budget, and hope it improves.

Lady Liberty

Feb 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like you could find something decent in the $300-500 range that would get you through this dip in your life. Grab it now before you file, it is good therapy for those that feel the angst of a bankruptcy or other things. A lot of good hard working people have been affected by the economy in ways they never imagined.

A friend of mine has a new Bounty Hunter that I like and he lets me use. I think he said it was around $250-300 though I've read negative comments about those machines. He also has a Whites XLT he recently bought used for $500, it is really nice but I like the Bounty Hunter better, of course I'm new to this. Lol.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your situation, been dealing with slow economy and business down here too. Everytime I sit down to juggle bills and figure out who gets paid and who doesn't, I just want to throw up. I am like you in the sense that detecting is a good therapy for me. I was reading a thread somewhere on a detecting forum about a guy that decided to just get back to basics , he got rid of his high end detectors and bought, of all things, a Tesoro Compadre. Very basic but he says it works great for him and lets him unwind even more because he is not constantly fiddling with adjustments, he just lets his ears be his discriminator. Sometimes I think he may be on to something.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIGDIG we do know how you feel , and just about everyone is have a hard time making it month to month . I am on a fixed income because of a drunk driver , I lost everything I had worked for , 28 years worth in 18 months , land home new car ,savings the whole thing to not having money coming in and medical bills that were off the scale . And that was with insurance . The other guy had none .

But now I am coming back and feeling better and getting out. And getting back into detecting was one of the best things I did in this whole mess . My Son said one day dad why don't you get a detector and start doing that again . Well I did and here I am .
It is still hard , and I am lucky enough to have some great kids .

As to the detector I would suggest a Tesoro brand , they are very good detectors and you can get a very good one for half or less than the big named ones that are out. They have a lifetime warranty and they stand behind it. American made also.

The other one I would suggest also is a Minelab X-Terra 705 , I use that one and let me say it is very good and I really like it a lot. Goes just as deep as the others has many functions but is very easy to run.

If there is anything I can do to help with this , that is if you need that as you do know what you are doing , then just ask or PM me and I will help with what I can. And there are a whole lot of very experienced Md'ers here that really do know what they are doing , that I am sure will help with any questions that you might have .

Yes it is a bummer out in the world today but I can say that you will find you way and I am having a great time now and moving on . And having a hobby will help more than you think , as it will let you have time to think and to make the moves that will be best for you and your family .

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peace of mind is important. Try for a used Tesoro. They are great beep machines and I am not afraid to hunt against anyone with mine. Lifetime warranty and they find everything as well as deep targets. Easy to use and nice on the pocket. I would not sell mine even for the new asking price. Find a good used one and hang in there. Remember all this when it is time to get out and vote as well.
Peace!!

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly how it is to be in your shoes. Keep your head up though and try not to get discouraged. Here is an idea, why don't you put an add in your local craigslist asking for a detector? Maybe you could even barter something you have you do not use anymore for equal trade for a detector. You might be surprised at what is out there people are ready to get rid of. Heck I know you liked your old XLT but if someone had a nice Whites classic series out there for a good deal it beats no detector at all you know? Hang in there, Tim

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not take the time spent detecting to earn some money instead to improve upon your situation? Even if you can't find a 'real' job, there are a million ways out there to make money on your own.

You have also just posted online that bankruptcy is in your future. If you were to charge this detector to a credit card with the intent of filing bankruptcy, a judge probably isn't going to be smiling about that.

Seriously, be proactive. Do something about your situation. Since you think you are in good enough physical shape to detect, then you are in good enough shape to get a job or create your own income in some manner.

EL Pirata Loco

Dec 7, 2008
Detector(s) used
RADIO SHACK 1000
I was in a unemployment situation myself for 2 years. My company downsized and then shut down one day i came to work. I was in that company for years, making great $$ for Florida standards. Its very sad, im 32 and i never seen anything like this...my dad has im sure...

But i incorporated my art hobby as a way to make extra $$ to keep me going until i got my recent job last year. But i have been using a cheap detector i got for a logo i did. its miles away from a whites but alot of fun to use when the fishing gets quiet till the next high tide. For now its works and it helps to get away from it all.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My work makes it hard to even get a second job because I have to work Saturdays and sometimes Sunday and get to have off in the middle of the week. Then there is the Lateshift which is 11am-8pm that I get about every eight weeks. Don't get me wrong I make good money but not like the years past.
I always look for deals, items to flip. I've Ebayed and sold things on Craigslist.
I check Craigslist daily for Metal detectors but miss some of the deals because I am at work. The other day a women put a White's 808 up that she bought for her husband, claimed he used it once and it's been sitting in the closet, she was asking $200. Had I not been working That day it could have been a money maker for sure. I want my next detector to be an inexpensive one since the place I want to use it I have to get there by canoe and would hat to see a pricey one take a dip if the canoe should roll over. Anyway, I know there are many, many people worst off than me and it is kind of pathetic whining over not being able to afford a toy when there are people hungry. I guess what I was looking for was the ideas that some of you gave, such as which detectors work well for the money, thanks for the help. I been watching a few used White's detectors on Ebay but still hope to catch a deal on Craigslist. Just yesterday someone posted a 1 month old Minelab Eureka Gold on there for $500. a great deal but I wanna spend a little less.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I'm still poor, lol. But I bought a detector. It's like new and it will do for now. Even though a Minelab or White's would have been my first choice my pocket said different. I got a "Buy it now" Garrett GTA350, until things get better it will have to work and for $150. with the padded case headphones and everything I figure it was the best I could do with that little bit of money. This is the pic..............

Attachments

• detector.jpg
    detector.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 163

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions