Anyone get frustrated like me?

Beans11

Jan 10, 2011
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer se pro
I recently purchased an ace 250 after reading great reviews. I am not happy at all though..maybe someone could fill me in but it seems like the pre settings they have for it don't discriminate very good at all. I constantly get silver or coin signals. I know when your swinging it makes a difference if the target id stays exactly on what it is showing and doesnt jump around but its getting old. I know ive been in some yards that surely have to have some silver or older coins. am i just better off spending the money and getting a nice expensive detector. I know you could prob have a better chance of telling what kind of metal you are digging. are the expensive fairly easy to get used to and know what to listen for? thanks

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Be patient, it takes a while to learn what it's telling you. It took me a couple of months and I started to be able to guess what the target was before I dug it with about 80% accuracy. I'm sure there are better more expensive detectors but you will find plenty with the 250. The hardest thing for me to figure out was to keep the sensitivity at 3 or 4 bars. If I am out in the woods or fields I can turn it up to 5 or 6 but in town 4 is the limit or I get all kinds of false signals. Good luck and keep at it, I would give it a little more time before you drop a lot of money into a more expensive detector.

HH Charlie

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
Ive had my ace 250 for about a month now. I have found about 20 dollars in clad coins and one junk ring so far. When I get a coin signal I move around the target in a circle and listen for that repeated strong belltone. Most of the time when the signal stays strong its a coin. If you get a jumpy signal usually its trash but as with any metal detector, to know for certain you have to dig. I havent found any silver yet but I know in time I will.

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Don't get discouraged. I have a 250, have found two gold bracelets, gold pendant (no chain), three class rings, wedding band, four gold rings with small stones, and one diamond band. Numerous silver jewelry. Some old coins, and many many clad. (a few hundred $ worth so far.) I've had it for 5 years, and it will produce, if you have the patience to learn what it is telling you.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just slow down a bit and take the time to learn it. The 250 doesn't deal with trashy sites very well, but if you learn how to use the 250 in a trashy site you'll be a much better detectorist for it. You can't do this hobby without running into trashy spots. So you'll have to know how to deal with them regardless of what detector you have. Usually when the signal starts bouncing around all over the place it's running into a trashy spot. Just slow down and try to pick out the individual targets. Maybe turn the sensitivity down a bit too.

I would stay with the ace and learn it before upgrading.

-Swartzie

rjs123

Dec 14, 2009
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Deep Tech Vista Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have any experience with your detector but I can tell you Im frustrated all the time. I probably dug 50 aluminum cans or parts of one over the past week and add to that 50 shot gun shells. When you are digging relics its tough not to dig a lot of junk or you might miss something good.

SaludaTeacha

Feb 19, 2011
Leesville, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing that helped me use my Ace better was spending a lot of time swinging in the All Metal mode. This forces you to learn which targets are more promising. It takes time with any detector though. I'll agree that it does not do well in trashy areas. I have the sniper coil for those spots which helps a ton. Don't give up, you'll learn to use it better.

OP
OP
B

Beans11

Jan 10, 2011
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer se pro
Thanks everyone. Ya I think if I got one of those sniper coils it would help alot. ill keep all the info in mind for sure.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beans11 said:
Thanks everyone. Ya I think if I got one of those sniper coils it would help alot. ill keep all the info in mind for sure.

If you think that's the answer,I think the your first answer was better.

liftloop

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of places look like they have silver and never give any up....

Screens only give you a guess, sounds like you looking for a detector that only tells you when to dig and when not to dig, you have to put the time in, dig lots of trash, learn your detector and what it's telling you, it is the same no matter what the detector costs....

OP
OP
B

Beans11

Jan 10, 2011
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer se pro
I'm not saying thats the answer liftloop..I'm saying it could possibly help bc alot of the areas I hunt are older parts of town where I know there is alot of junk

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beans11 said:
I'm not saying thats the answer liftloop..I'm saying it could possibly help bc alot of the areas I hunt are older parts of town where I know there is alot of junk

that's why if you get the junk out you mite have a better chance at finding the silver if it's there the ace 250 is not a dept demon so going with a smaller coil is in't going to help with all the junk in the way it can't see threw iron or aluminum to get to the good stuff.
A smaller targets like dime,nickels,and pennies,will sink quicker than big flat items.your better off getting the junk out,then go over it with a bigger coil.I would think.I would hunt wood chip. you'll get a better understanding on your detector is tell you faster because there more finds to be had.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No detector can tell you exactly what is under the coil. It can only show you the magnetic dignature of various types of metal objects. The answer to your problem is practice, practice, practice. Take you alittle note pad along and jot down what kind of signals you are getting and what yu find. You can't possibly remember them all. Plant a "garden" with various objects and practice on known targets . and keep at it. Sooner or later you will score something good. Monty

garrettman

Greenie
Mar 29, 2011
Mt. Pleasant, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I have the Ace 250 and i love it. I have found silver coins, silver rings and necklaces and wheat pennies and every other coin. It does take a while to understand the different tones and what to dig and what not to dig. Sometimes you just have to dig to really know what is there. It is frustrating sometimes in trashy areas that is so true but just stick with it and u will be happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread