Need of help with detector purchase!

mngirl

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2011
I am new to the hobby and would like to get advice on which metal detector to purchase. I have read that multifunction detectors are good all around machines, but are they and which brand??? I am sure that it is not an easy question to answer, but if I don't start somewhere, I will never know. I would like to use it on land and in fresh water lakes/rivers. I am looking for a middle of the road pricepoint detector that can pick up metals (gold, silver, etc..) and objects.

Any help would be much appreciated, guidance from others who know is my moto!

Thank you for your consideration,
Mngirl

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first of all welcome to T'net,White's detector are a good brand, tesoro give's the best warranty.mine lab has a lot to offer,I would stick to a White's M6 or the 6t or the prizm 5 G will get you started and and be easy to operate there not a water detector but the loops are submersible but not the control box.
you should find deep coins 8 to 12 inches with any one of them.depending on the size of the coin and the ground matrix.the mxt is a real good detector a little expensive but an all a round good detector.
there will be other people on her to give there two cents any time now. It's very addicting.So have fun read as much as you can,and practice,practice,practice.What ever you decide you will have fun.

liftloop

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
Check out the Garrett AT Pro! Seems to be a good all around detector and also waterproof to ten feet wich is a big plus.

micprec

Mar 7, 2011
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
welcome, im also new and did alot of research over the last couple months and read alot about the differant detecters. everyone on here is very helpful, i am from indiana, and ended up ordering the at pro, due to i want to hunt in water and land also, the submersible up to 10 feet was a big seller for me since i like to it the lakes in the area and up in MN and MI. hopw this helps. :thumbsup:
michael

OP
OP
M

mngirl

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2011
micprec said:
welcome, im also new and did alot of research over the last couple months and read alot about the differant detecters. everyone on here is very helpful, i am from indiana, and ended up ordering the at pro, due to i want to hunt in water and land also, the submersible up to 10 feet was a big seller for me since i like to it the lakes in the area and up in MN and MI. hopw this helps. :thumbsup:
michael
So is the AT Pro a specific brand?? I have seen Garret, Minelab, Fisher and others. Thanks for the help!
MNgirl

OP
OP
M

mngirl

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2011
neuseman said:
Check out the Garrett AT Pro! Seems to be a good all around detector and also waterproof to ten feet wich is a big plus.
So is the Garrett AT Pro the one mentioned below? It sounds like good info to me! Thank you.

OP
OP
M

mngirl

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2011
liftloop said:
first of all welcome to T'net,White's detector are a good brand, tesoro give's the best warranty.mine lab has a lot to offer,I would stick to a White's M6 or the 6t or the prizm 5 T will get you started and and be easy to operate there not a water detector but the loops are submersible but not the control box.
you should find deep coins 8 to 12 inches with any one of them.depending on the size of the coin and the ground matrix.the mxt is a real good detector a little expensive but an all a round good detector.
there will be other people on her to give there two cents any time now. It's very addicting.So have fun read as much as you can,and practice,practice,practice.What ever you decide you will have fun.

liftloop

Thank you so much for the information! There are just too many to know what your doing when you start. Can you use them in a river environment?

OP
OP
M

mngirl

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2011
micprec said:
michael

Thank you for the info. Can you use one on a river or would it be too noisy and turbulent? Just wondering...

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
The Garrett AT PRO should be fine in rivers and surf. Just make sure you have good headphones that cover your ears and help block external noise like surf,wind, rushing water,preferably with volume controls. Welcome to the hobby,welcome to Tnet and good luck. :)

(I've never used one, but i recall the AT pro needed some kind of "add on" sold seperately to make it "waterproof". Make sure if buying that this add on is included. )

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only add on you would need to buy are the water proff head phones.... BUT.. only if you plan to take the head phones under water... Other wise, if you are only going to your waist or a little higher with little to no chance of submerging the headphones, you shouldn't need those...

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Yeah,thought it had to do with the phones but wasn't sure if it was to do with the headphones jack socket too.

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
I have a Teknetics t2 SE (special edition) You can get them from kellycodetectors.com
It blows everything else out of the water that I have tried. I have used it for a while, and have found numerous things that my White's Prizm left behind. Usually because they were too deep. It takes a while to get used to though. It is a super deep metal detector. It is kinda pricey though. You just need to ask yourself... if this is going to be a once in a while thing, or a full blown hobby. Whatever detector that you decide upon, go to many different sites, and read reviews on it. Good luck on your hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread