deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember some years back reading something about how places got there names.

A road I used to go by all the time was named "Old Mill Run". Indeed, at one time, there was a mill there.
There are others that just don't come to mind right now but do point to some historic facts of the area.

I was going to go detecting pretty far from home this past weekend but weather caused me to cancel plans but something I noted on the map of the area, a place less than a few hundred yards from where I was going to be, was named "Rattlesnake Hollow". :o

This area of the mountains is known for timber rattlers and I know they have a rattlesnake hunting event every year...so it got me wondering if this area was named because it has a higher density of rattlers than some others. :dontknow:

My feelings too is that with the one day of unusually warm weather in the few of rain, it probably would have had them out in droves to get some sun.

Anyhow....do some of you folks look for particular, or peculiar names as a reference to a place to detect?

Al

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:

The type of thing I look for...Church fields, Old mill lane or anything with Thorpe in (saxon for village) or a village ending in BY which is Viking for Village :icon_thumleft:

SS

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Rattlesnake Run. Rattlesnakes congregated in dens there in the winter. Also, another den very near to that one in another hollow.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that if you see a "Whiskey creek", or "Whiskey run" on a map it means moonshiner activity. Anybody else heard of anything like that?

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lumbercamp said:
Rattlesnake Run. Rattlesnakes congregated in dens there in the winter. Also, another den very near to that one in another hollow.

Thanks. Good info there. I suspected as much. Knew they were in that valley somewhere. Right in the area I want to detect. Maybe some steel body armor. :icon_scratch:

Al

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hmmmm. In the area I find most of my things. It's very private

Attachments

• PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 194

midnightcaller

Apr 13, 2005
Snohomish Area
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
niffler said:
I have heard that if you see a "Whiskey creek", or "Whiskey run" on a map it means moonshiner activity. Anybody else heard of anything like that?

IN Marysville Washington, they have a road called Whiskey Ridge Road , that's were they did their moon shinning

EL Pirata Loco

Dec 7, 2008
Detector(s) used
RADIO SHACK 1000
niffler said:

There is a "whiskey creek" in East Fort Lauderdale/Dania Beach...where i fish and hunt that was used as a hidden route into FL before the 1950's or 40's for liquor...just like you mentioned. I have found some old pennies from the 30's there.

AL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread