Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some cities require them. No detecting in state parks except ones with beaches, and only in the dry sand of the beach, unless prohibited altogether. Some counties use the strict state guidelines. Nothing, man made over 50 years old is supposed to be removed from navigable waterways, but there is some confusing "isolated finds" exception for projectile points, with a requirement to report it. The federal law exempts bullets and coins from the water restrictions last I heard, but I don't know about Florida.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin finder said:
Well do you need to get a metal Detecting permit in THE HOT STATE of Florda going to be my New Home soon. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

If your not a native borm Floridian you have to buy a permit, I am the official permit officer....Send $1000 in care of me... ;D

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I sell a real nice, spray on, mosquito/alligator repellent for $200 a bottle. (Panther, bobcat, black bear, and homeless meth-head additive is extra.) :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well I got a special for out of state florida tourist only -- I sell the permits at a steep discount * only $500 each and I also have the skeeter / gator repellant for only $100 bucks per bottle -- ( plus if you get both , I will "throw" in the all the "extra" additives to the skeeter / gator repellant spray fer free )-- as always just llike the grubbermint on tax due day -- I'm just here to "help" you --so you can trust me. -- :wink: :icon_thumright: :D Ivan

seriously folks --do not ask to buy "metal detecting premits , whilehere in florida" -- please do not give our greedy "money strapped" govts any ideals on how to raise money by "taxing" our currently "free" hobby --that "taxation" to metal detect stuff might fly elsewhere but quite frankly we don't want it here in florida .

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy a permit to detect on state land in a heartbeat! There are some ripe spots that haven't had a detector over them since the 70's that are off limits because they are on state land.

And I would stay away from those cheap Chinese permits and pest repellent.... :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
coin-finder, if Jon's answer of "some cities require them" has you skittish (ie.: wondering if cities you plan to go to, has such a thing), first, let me say that this is VERY rare, for any city, in the USA, to have such a thing. I think what has happened, in this marvelous age of the internet, is that some city, somewhere, had them. And in the lightening fast info age, that gets posted. Others read it (no matter how isolated), and wonder "wow, I should inquire about permits wherever I go, because afterall 'some cities have them' ", etc...

If you're wondering is such is the case wherever you're planning to be, just be careful about finding out if such a thing is the case. Because if you walk into city halls asking if there is a permit to metal detect (which there probably isn't), it can back-fire. A desk-bound clerk can interpret your inquiry as if you are asking permission to do such activity, and simply tell you "no you can't" (as if you were asking their permission), when there is no such prohibition or rule. So the solution to this is, to look it up yourself. All cities nowadays seem to have websites. And in there, is usually municipal codes and regulations. If it is silent on the issue, so be it - you have your answer.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. Asking everywhere you go could be dangerous to the hobby, and I would say if you want to detect a park, and there was no sign posted saying you couldn't, just go ahead and do it. If someone runs you off, so be it... It wasn't posted, and that's all they can do the first time.

However, when I said some cities in Florida require a permit, it is from firsthand knowledge, not speculation. And this city's website didn't say anything about it...but the cops show up pretty fast to check you out, and it's like pulling teeth to get anyone to talk to you about getting the permit.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I'm a Brit'. Do i need a permit to visit and get shot dead in Florida? :help:

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No...just go to a low income housing project after midnight, and wander around...I'm sure those two guys weren't trying to buy drugs or anything....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:

Nope you can get shot even with the permit, what you need is the permit for the right to carry a concealed weapon.....

We do control the total number of British visitors at a time though...... (See American Revolution and war of 1812) ;D....

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon Phillips said:
Some cities require them. No detecting in state parks except ones with beaches, and only in the dry sand of the beach, unless prohibited altogether. Some counties use the strict state guidelines. Nothing, man made over 50 years old is supposed to be removed from navigable waterways, but there is some confusing "isolated finds" exception for projectile points, with a requirement to report it. The federal law exempts bullets and coins from the water restrictions last I heard, but I don't know about Florida.

From what I have made out of the laws, the beach detecting on state parks it says, from the toe of the dune to the low tide waterline, so... by saying that, you should be able to detect in the water, at high tide, but only till you hit the big rocks that are protruding from the sand. Although there is some debate on that..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dano Sverige said:

We LOVE Brits in Arizona, Dano. They taste just like chicken! - Terry

NYS Beach Permit $40 annually

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
Dano Sverige said:

that is one of the free things you can do that is not taxed, but only the first time, second time it is against the law and you can't get shot dead in Florida twice :tongue3:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
permits, permits, we don't need no stinking permits ........ :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread