hemingray no. 40

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
I don't usually ask for help but I am stumped...I have a glass insulator hemingray no.40 and I can't find any info on it. Does anyone have a link that I can go to that will tell me the age, possible value if any or any other information on this insulator and others that I have. I also have a Lapp ansi 56-1 colombia any info would be greatly appreciated....goat

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
CD 152 / Hemingray No. 40

The No. 40 was introduced in 1910, and used until 1921 when it was replaced by the No. 42

funny i happen to have a #42 lol.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
oldgoat said:
I don't usually ask for help but I am stumped...I have a glass insulator hemingray no.40 and I can't find any info on it. Does anyone have a link that I can go to that will tell me the age, possible value if any or any other information on this insulator and others that I have. I also have a Lapp ansi 56-1 colombia any info would be greatly appreciated....goat

a friend of mine has a #40 too, and he found this pg and something from a book,sorry dont remember the book title
--------------------

Here is a list of very common Hemingray insulator styles. These can be found in abundance in antique/junk shops, and normally have a value of $1 or $2.
Note: This page covers only the most common styles and embossings. If your insulator matches BOTH the Common Color AND Common Embossing criteria below, it's most likely worth the Average Value shown.

http://www.hemingray.info/database/commons.html#152

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mfitzy111 said:
from my time living around the tracks in PA - the only ones that have real value are the insulators with micky mouse ears- $10-$25 bucks on e-bay.
most other ones are only worth a few bucks each...anyone that collects train stuff likes to have a few of them though....

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICKEY-MOUSE-EARS-HEMINGRAY-CD257-GLASS-INSULATOR-/180645900266
Actually there are many types of insulators worth some good money. I sold a cobalt blue Hemingray for $100 to a friend of mine and a pretty common Whithall Tatum amethyst several months ago on ebay for $50 something.
For the most part your right though, most insulators especially the common Hemingray's sell for a buck or two.

Depending on the maker, the number and the condition, blues, greens, aquas, purples, carnival glass, and threadless insulators usually sell pretty well.

oldgoat - Your Lapp insulator is probably a more modern porcelain glazed insulator and I believe they are made in Columbia nowadays. The hemingray no.40 is very common and only worth a buck or two as cw0909 stated. I'm sure I have a few of them around here myself. :thumbsup:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of valuable insulators, I have literally hundreds of them in my mom's basement from when the railroads cut down all their poles when I was a kid. Hemingray is the most common, and they were in Muncie IN if i remember right. From Hemingray the most common are the #40 and #42. 3-4 bucks in perfect condition, but they only really sell as decoration, anyone who collects insulators will likely have a box or two of them.

My cousin and I were insulator collecting fiends in the early 80's when I was about 13 or so, we got in so much trouble for hiking off down the abandoned rail lines and being gone all day, but it was a lot of fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread