Ever had a great signal then get disappointed??

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
I had a barley hearable tone on my Minelab. The tone was high and it jumped between a 40 and 44. I got excited! I just knew it was gonna be a NICE deep target. I spent I know a good 30 min on this hole digging in the chert to about 8 1/2 inches. Just to get suprised by a rusty nail?!?!?! There is no way that it could be the target I spent 30 mins on I thought to myself. Sure enough I rescanned the hole and nothing! So I buried the nail about 2 inches in the hole and rescanned, to my suprise a high pitch tone! :laughing9: :dontknow: :laughing9: I was wondering if it has happened to any of you?? :dontknow:

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once got into some nails that would register as dimes from both ways........

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
m bryan said:
Once got into some nails that would register as dimes from both ways........

At least I'm not alone! LOL Thanks for the post... :icon_thumright:

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
I have gotten several "good target signals" and wound up with a spike or big nail. Oh well, dig everything. I have found some interesting stuff digging everything. I always run in all metal mode with no discrimination. My preference.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I got a signal the other day that was a solid nickel. I was sure it was a V nickel before I dug...it turned out to be a flattened Miller Lite bottle cap!

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
I was out in Gold Basin (AZ) last year on an outing with a bunch of beepers . I was using a SD2200v . I hit a monster signal but was having problems pin pointing the target . It seemed that I had stumbled onto the biggest nugget in the history of the planet . As I changed positions to try and pinpint from another way I noticed Debbie from our group using a GP3500 right next to me . Her machine was "talking" to my machine . After she passed by my target "disappeared".

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a really strange whisper detecting in the Weaver Mountains of Central Arizona. I was swinging a Minelab GPX4000. At first I thought it was EMI, but I kept playing with it and picking at the earth. Signal got a little stronger. Getting a little excited - after all, this is one of the richest placer gold areas in the lower 48! Started swinging away with the pick and next thing you know I am down a good 16-18" and this target is starting to scream! OK, breathing a little harder now. My heart is starting to beat a little quicker. I'm thinking another "Boot of Cortez" sized gold nugget has GOT to be in this hole. I'm pickin' and checking, pickin' and checking - now I'm down about 28-30" and the machine is overloading! Holy ship done sailed, it was a bumper from an old 1949 Ford! :dontknow: :tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Due to the amount of iron and large nails on the farm field behind my house, thought i'd try it with my Excal II, as it nulls the iron out.
WRONG!...large nails and iron were still my main finds! >:(

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Most of the hits i get with my detector are background noise. Same tone, same depth. Bomp. Bomp. Bomp. I don't even bother with those anymore. Has to be something pretty unique before i dig. I don't always find coins, but i'm sure digging up fewer bottle caps, lids to cans and nails.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not count the times I have done this , and found an old part of a tractor , or a large bolt dropped years ago !
And the soda cans, I could build a small aircraft it seems with the amount I have dug up thinking I had the find of the year !

It makes me wonder how many cans there can be in the ground , you would think it would be impossible for that many to be buried over the years. I think no one from the 40's when they came out in till now put a can in the trash, they seemed to have made it a point to go out and dig and put them in a hole so we could find them years later .

neal S.

Apr 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett // Garrett // Fisher Gold Bug
;D I was in an apple orchard that dates to around 1900. Using the trusty garrett. I had already found a good amount of old farm tools and was about ready to pack it up and I noticed a tree that was a little older than the rest of the trees in the orchard and I got the screamer of all signals. I dug in and started carefully excavating the area and I just kept digging and digging. I was so deep that my head was actually in the hole that I was digging. Finally at about 3 feet deep I hit it....... could it be????? a large dutch kettle (oven) was peering back at me. I carefully dug at it dreaming of the gold and silver coins that spilled over the edges. Finally got it out and it was EMPTY, EMPTY.
BOO HOO that dream was shattered. I still had a blast.
Thanks
HHTA
Neal S.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing unusually here. It happens all the time. Last Saturday I got a perfect coin signal at 7 inches, it turned out to be a brass faucet handle. Miscellaneous brass and copper pipe pieces (washers, shell casings, spark plugs, and some rusty nails) fool me everytime.

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
LOL Them are some good stories :laughing9: Thats what makes our hobby interesting. You never know.........Thanks for all the post and keep them coming!!

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
for me so many nickels turn out to be can slaw...but I love digging nickels to find rings any time....

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
I got a nice fat 93 VDI signal about 3 or 4 inches down and really thought I had something. Turned out it was a french horn mouthpiece. Silver plated brass so it range up really nice.

Jerry

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
GaDigger81 said:
I had a barley hearable tone on my Minelab. The tone was high and it jumped between a 40 and 44. I got excited! I just knew it was gonna be a NICE deep target. I spent I know a good 30 min on this hole digging in the chert to about 8 1/2 inches. Just to get suprised by a rusty nail?!?!?! There is no way that it could be the target I spent 30 mins on I thought to myself. Sure enough I rescanned the hole and nothing! So I buried the nail about 2 inches in the hole and rescanned, to my suprise a high pitch tone! :laughing9: :dontknow: :laughing9: I was wondering if it has happened to any of you?? :dontknow:
Yep. Often. Nearly daily.

My worst was when I was digging a deep Merc out. Saw the coin on edge and everything. Then lost it. Carefully checked the hole several times, but could never get another reading on it. Sure wish I had a pinpointer then.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I had a solid half dollar signal tonight. I mean a really solid signal, so I dug it, thinking it was can slaw.

I just about wet myself with excitement when I saw round silver on the side of the hole.

"Holy smokes!!!! It is silver." I said to my wife.

I carefully dug it out of the roots with my knife....to find out it was a foil covered paper/plastic lid to an orange juice container like you might have found on older packaging on a bottle of SunnyD.
:-[

dirty digger dude

May 16, 2011
I get a lot of signals like that. Quarter or half at 1- 2 inches always turns out to be a can at 6-8 inches. I dig it anyway until i get way past the 1-2 inches and then give up knowing it's a can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions