Scouting an original mid 1700s settlement.

scott26038

Mar 5, 2011
I am a beginner, own a White's MXT that I used twice and am getting used to the signals, methods, etc..

I live in North Carolina and I have been doing a lot of research on OLD settlements from in the early to mid 1700s here in our area off the Cape Fear River. After super-imposing old historic maps in scale (from 1800s) over Google Earth, I am able to identify where there should be some old foundations (or what's left of them) from this time period. They are on some vacant land that the city/county owns. I have been told that there is no problem with me visiting these sites. Police Officer and Sherriff Deputy both agree that it is ok for me to detect. I simply cannot bring my vehicle on the land even though gates to the site are easily bypassed.

When exploring this site(s), what setting should I use mostly? Relic hunting? And, given the huge amount of expertise that this forum, what do y'all think I should be targeting? Iron? Silver/Gold? What do you think I should call a success if I put in 3-4 days at this location?

I'll see if I can attach the google earth snapshot where I have identified potential target areas based on historical maps.

Attachments

• North Water St - Old Campbelton.jpg
    North Water St - Old Campbelton.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 278

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it were me I'd cherry pick for coins, buttons, buckles, etc.. Then after a few months go back over and dig the iffy signals. Old buttons (pre 1800) like pewter and tombac hit below nickle. Indian head pennies hit below penny. On an old site I dig everything above iron. On a site like your's, if the ground hasn't been messed with, you can spend several months hunting and still not have it all covered. Depends on how much iron is in the ground. Iron will really slow you down. A site that big would keep me occupied for several months if not longer.

-Swartzie

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what settings are available but I would use the least amount of disc. You're going to want to find iron...as in iron nails where the houses may have been and trash pits near the houses. When you start finding the hand wrought square nails...you're there.

If you're getting good enough, you'll be able to ignore the obvious pulltab vdi's as a repeatable number. Save digging those for later. A lot of times, places like you show might have been a good party place so watch for the collection of bottle caps, etc.

Plan on spending some time on this site. If you know it dates back to the late 1700's, early 1800's...persistance can reward you with some old colonial coppers...very prized coinage if recognizable. Even if you can't make it out...the find itself is awesome.

You can go to any park and dig clad. A good colonial site is worth a fair amount of time.

Al

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to think of these old sites as small targets in a big area, and you have to find them. Use low disc. and dig all targets above iron, but listen for the falsing of iron, and look at any old find you dig as a clue you could be close to the site. Once you are on the site you'll definitely know it, and that's when the gettin will get good. A single flat button has stopped me from bypassing small early sites that I probably would have missed.

If this place works out I would delete the pictures you are showing because if you are digging Colonial goodies there's people that will drive a 100 miles to jump on the site.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You being a newbee. You just posted the exact location of your site. I live in IL and google earthed your site with the coordinates you posted on on your photo.
I would be willing to bet that someone will be hunting that area within a couple days if don't delete your photo.
Live and learn..... When I viewed your post there were 52 views... hope that number does'n grow to much
NC has a lot detectorist

OP
OP
S

scott26038

Mar 5, 2011
Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I have walked the property to an extent. I have discovered a VERY old cemetery. Illegible markers, remains of markers, etc... I wonder how much the land may have been altered away from that cemetery where homes may have been. The grade of the property seems right, just want to narrow down where not to waste time. What clues do the pros gather from trees? Any other natural signs/vegetation that I should notice/avoid?

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Dig every single item, that is how you find the good stuff, you will pass over so much valuable things by being picky with the signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread