2 Steel Barrels Buried

nick6710

Mar 18, 2011
I was digging in my back yard and came across 2 huge items. The tops of steel barrels/drums. Now my house is from 1919 and they are about 2 feet apart and may have been the outhouses? The tops of the barrels were about 2 feet down. I havent dug them all the way up yet because it would be an undertaking. Any input would be appreciated. Just the top rings are some what solid and the sides are rusted out but I only went about 3 feet down. Any ideas if this would be worth the dig?

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig.You don't know if you don't dig.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Guessing they may be a "solid foundation" for something where "solid" was needed. Side by side full size flagpoles springs to mind. Might be full of dirt or concrete.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a pipe connecting them then I'd agree it an early septic system. Don't cut yourself.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
While the amount of work involved may seem daunting, I'm not sure I could live with myself from this point forward forever and ever having NOT dug it and NEVER knowing what's inside.

just sayin'...

Threestud

Greenie
Apr 27, 2011
When I was a kid my grandfather had a barrel in the ground
He used it for vegetables kinda like a pour mans celler .
Not saying that's what u found !!!

R

Rennwaggen

Dat is Cajun engineered septic tanks. Two 55 gallon drums connected with a "T" in one with a straight pipe dat go to the other.

First one is full of what dat honey wagon driver calls "Gold", but that smell should give it away.

Second one isn't much better.

I would leave it alone me.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Septic system.