Not open for further replies.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dumb complaint. Your complaining...even though the product works. Id see you coming and say 60$ sir! Seriously. Go on amazon, ebay or walmart and find a substitute. I can see complaining if your new toy doesn't work...which some companies are famous for. I won't mention any names there. But...your complaining...essentially...for your own actions. I wont use any verbs there either. HH -Joe

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
one thing I think everyone agrees with --the tones on the ace 250 suck --whoever the tone deaf dolt was that decided upon those exact sounds --as "the tones" for the ace 250 -- needs to be drug out back and bull whipped .--it is like a attack on the eardrums .-- those lame / sorry tones really drive some folks away from the 250 * or stop them from buying one -- seems to me that garretts R & D and marketing folks should know that by now and do something to fix it .

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
one thing I think everyone agrees with --the tones on the ace 250 suck --whoever the tone deaf dolt was that decided upon those exact sounds --as "the tones" for the ace 250 -- needs to be drug out back and bull whipped .--it is like a attack on the eardrums .-- those lame / sorry tones really drive some folks away from the 250 * or stop them from buying one -- seems to me that garretts R & D and marketing folks should know that by now and do something to fix it .
If it wasn't one of the best selling detectors of all time they might take your advice.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
heck if they ditched the sorry tones --it might sell even better . --yes its highly popular --price might have sumpin to do with that --at $212 its a decent lil machine for the money --the tones suck however * --and if one can spring for the extra $67 bux -- as some one who's owned and used both -- * I can honestly say the delta 4000 is much better in my veiw --being it has a "numbers" 0 to 99 type display ( in effect 100 blocks) instead of the mere 12 "blocks" of the ace 250 that co mingles "good stuff" and trash in the same exact "block' -- while no machine is " a "perfect sorter" -- i honestly believe that 100 numbers vs 12 "block" sorting slots --thus a ratio of 8 numbers vs 1 "block"--so its a no brainer to me as to which one can sort to a finer degree via "discrimatation" thus less digging up trash , less wasted time & effort -- thus better more productive hunts ..

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
Sorry to hear about your dissappointment. Although I would have to say Garrett has been great to me. $30 is a little ridiculous, but so is wasting your time worrying about it. Find an alternative. HH

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEP, Instead of griping about the price of a new holster and complaining about something, use the mind god gave you and find alternatives as mentioned in the postings, or improvise on making something work.

As mentioned about car chargers for cell phones, the cell phone companies sell them for $30.00, but they buy them from the manufacturers for $1.89 each. You don't want to know what the cell phone companies buy their cell phones for either, (less than $30.00 each), but they will sell them to the consumers for hundreds of dollars, ($199-$400) plus! Also, most of the times when you are able to get an upgraded free phone from your cell phone provider, they DON'T send you a "NEW" cell phone, they give you a REFERBISHED cell phone! How do I know? One of my Team Mates owns a cell phone store and told me what these cell phone providers buy and sell their products for!! So think about that next time you buy a cell phone and or have to buy a car charger for it!

So now the cat has been let out of the bag about cell phone companies and if you bought a cell phone or buy them for your wife, or kids, etc, now you can gripe about that too!!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must be odd. I've never used the holster.

The Propointer is either turned on and in my hand (and behind back so it isn't sounding off on my belt buckle, wtc.) or its in my treasure pouch.

$30 is extreme for a replacement, but with so many alternatives out there, I'll bet you could run to Home Depot and find something that works just as well.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I wouldn't say they suck, but they aren't very good. Garrett works but I was never happy with their stuff. I hated my ACE 250, and won't use them again.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems as though we have already reached a general consensus on that holster, so let me move on and resolve pin pointer loss protection.

That's right, never have to worry about losing any pin pointer, from any manufacturer going forward. Best part, the cost is probably around the cost of a pack of cigarettes.

njnydigger, was on the right track with the florescent tape, but you need a little improvement here. Go with duct tape. Instead of laying down a few bucks for a roll, I am sure you know someone that owns a roll already, so borrow it..

Next step, buy a small can of Krylon florescent spray paint and paint the tape

Next step, go to your local sporting good store and but fishing line that can hold a shark.

Finally, go home and double wrap the fishing line around the pin pointer, holding it down with a generous amount of duct tape. Now secure the loose line to a brass ring and attach the ring through the belt in between the belt loops so it only has a minimal amount of play between the loops. You only need a length of 7 feet so you have more freedom in movement.

If you drop, or leave the pin pointer sitting down, it will magically follow you until you need it again :laughing9:

Another problem solved from the Spartacus53 House of Ideas :thumbsup:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Garrett makes quality detectors and their customer service is top notch. i started with an Ace 250 and it is an incredible value for the $$. later on i moved up to a GTI2500 and found tons of stuff with it as well. that being said, i have to say that i prefer my Minelab Explorer SE and reach for it 99% of the time. the belltone thing bothers me. you see, to trigger that belltone a signal has to be beyond a certain signal strength or threshold. if a signal is too weak to trigger the tone, you pass over it. you dont have that problem with the minelab. also, the minelab has such a wide range of tones i can usually tell what i have without even looking at the display. the GTI2500 is also pretty much useless in highly minerilized soil and it overloads a lot. i hear there is a chip that fixes this problem but in my opinion it never should have been an issue in the first place. i guess it all comes down to personal preferance. Garrets are built like a tank and are really high quality, but i dont think i would buy another at this point....just my 2 cents worth.

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to beat a dead horse here. But I read most of the comments on this thread and didn't see this option mentioned. If you, like most forum users, go onto other forums you will see someone who makes holsters for the vibra probe and propointer out of full grain cowhide for $30. Well worth it imo. It would probably outlast your propointer....

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
njnydigger said:
You're starting to sound like my father sandman...

'We used to walk 40 miles to school everyday...uphill...with no shoes...round trip. Stop complaining!'
:tongue3: :laughing7: :laughing9:

:laughing7: My Wifes Grandfather used to live on a hill and about a mile or so away the School rested level but with a nice big Valley/Coulee in between... So I guess he REALLY did walk to School and back Uphill 'Both Ways'! ;D...

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
4" x 1" piece of cloth or canvas.
Sew both ends horizontally to your fav' detecting pants/shorts.
Slide propointer in, and away you go.

or...

Do as i do...buy those carpenters/builders work pants with lots of pockets, straps and loops for holding tools. Works wonders! :icon_thumright:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Smudge said:
I must be odd. I've never used the holster.

The Propointer is either turned on and in my hand (and behind back so it isn't sounding off on my belt buckle, wtc.) or its in my treasure pouch.

$30 is extreme for a replacement, but with so many alternatives out there, I'll bet you could run to Home Depot and find something that works just as well.

I was thinking the same thing...I've never used my holster either, and I also "pouch carry" it when it's not in use. The holster is kinda lame anyway IMPO. martin

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Re: Garrett's Probe Holder sucks

Tough break....you could've HAD mine! I tossed it after the pointer fell out a couple of times. Just got in a new 2nd propointer (to help my wife dig and as a spare) and tossed the holster on that one too. I use one of those large fanny packs. Holds a screwdriver, propointer, extra batteries for the propointer and....that's it. I circle back to the car for anything else I need. Even with the fanny pack, it's mostly in my hand. I like the idea of those retractable devices...just have glue or attach a ring (lanyard?) to attach it to. To me, Garrett ProPointer + Garrett holster = lost propointer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread