Garrett SUCKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ONLY thing I use of theirs is the propointer (which is phenomenal), however, glad I never DID use any of their products before. Never WILL for that matter either.

I've had my propointer almost (3) years now. I lost the black holster thing that attaches to my belt a looooong time ago. Since that time, I've just been sticking my propointer in my finds pouch - simple fix & convenient. However, the propointer has a nasty habit of falling out of the pouch. I've lost my propointer in the woods before & let me tell you...it ain't fun finding it :BangHead: Called Kellyco and asked if they had any in stock. They said that the holsters only come with the propointer. So, next idea was to call Garrett directly. Surely they would have one I can purchase separately. Spoke to a very nice lady there and said she'd have to check for me. I called back later and they did indeed sell them separately...

For a whopping $30.00!!! Is that insane or what?!?! I had every intention of purchasing one. Figured a replacement would be $5, maybe $10...but $30 for a little black holster. Give me a break :spam4:
There's an old saying Mr. Garrett...

"Take care of the customer and the business will take care of itself". Highway robbery is NOT taking care of the customer :stop:

Thanks for nothing :thumbsup:

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I don't know if the garrett probe is anything like the vibraprobe but my holster for it broke down after a time (us detectorists can be a bit abbussive to our tools). In my case, rather than blame it on the manufacturer and make a beef, I took some duct tape and a piece of PVC pipe and wrapped it around the original holster. It should last longer than my detector and me for that matter.
Good old NewEngland Thrift and Ingenuity goes a long way.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As disappointing as that is keep in mind mist company's make a greater profit on their accessories. Buy a power chord for your phone will set you back $20, or better.

As annoying as it may seem, why not make your own holster?

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
OR go to wally world and buy a holder for a razor knife either leather or the woven clothe type cut the end off untill if fits snug.
just my .02
drewan

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'm gonna have to spart. Just wanted to buy one though as life is busy enough without figuring out how to Macguyver a holster. For $30 though you can be DAMN sure I'm gonna get creative on this one. What finks :munky2: When I called I could CLEARLY tell nobody has ever called them before on this - or rarely. Which means, they probably thought they had an easy $30 in the till. Ha!!! They probably have these things laying all over the factory floor :mblah05:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the real world.........Who told you life was fair or cheap. Your in a hobby that accessories and detectors cost $$$, but it's cheaper than tournament bass fishing. Buy yourself a screw driver and use that to probe for targets. You guys are spoiled......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my pointer Twice now.

Once in a Church grove, Yesterday In the Ballfield :laughing7:

Nice thing I Use it Evertime I Dig,
So I just Have to Backtrack, but it
still hides Pretty well in the grass :wink:

I think they need to make a Remote Sensor Beeper for it
until I Loose that too :D

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great minds really DO think alike jeff :tongue3: I was out with my buddy the other day discussing lost pinpointers. I said we should buy one of those alarm thingees for lost keys and rig it up to the pinpointers. It's actually a pretty good idea. Might try it.

P.S. - Try wrapping fluorescent colored tape around the pinpointer. Easier to spot laying in the grass :thumbsup:

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're starting to sound like my father sandman...

'We used to walk 40 miles to school everyday...uphill...with no shoes...round trip. Stop complaining!'
:tongue3: :laughing7: :laughing9:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
P.S. - Try wrapping fluorescent colored tape around the pinpointer. Easier to spot laying in the grass :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Nice Bright Orange

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
You're starting to sound like my father sandman...

'We used to walk 40 miles to school everyday...uphill...with no shoes...round trip. Stop complaining!'
:tongue3: :laughing7: :laughing9:

Only 40 Miles ? :dontknow: Wimp :laughing7:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A flashlight pouch/holster should work with the propointer. :icon_thumleft:
http://www.google.com/search?q=flas...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1366&bih=675
Plenty available from $5 up

$9.99 at harbor freight.
nite_ize_mini_maglight_flashlight_holster_stretch.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had bought Garrett detectors instead of the overpriced ones you have you could afford the holster.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had a DetectorPro Uniprobe you will never lose it and the wand fits in your finds pouch. I bought a short piece of plastic conduit, cut a 6 inch piece off and put it on my finds pouch, the wand fits in the conduit perfectly.. :icon_thumright:..........

uniprobe1.jpg

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In reading this thread an idea popped for me .... attach a loop to your pinpointer, then attach that to one of those retractable key ring thingys that hooks onto your belt.... you know, the thing janitors use with the chain that pulls back in when the let go. you should never lose your probe then.

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
I use an old contractors vest for metal detecting. Lots of pockets for everything. I riveted the left check pocket down the middle to create two compartments, one for the Propointer and one for my screwdriver coin probe.
It is a handy location and easy to access and put away.

BTW: All my detectors are Garretts.

Jerry

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
jeff of pa said:
njnydigger said:

:thumbsup: Nice Bright Orange
Reflective Orange/chartreuse tape....I used to use the Pistol Probe exclusively until I switched to the Uni-probe. The first time I lost the pistol probe, it took me most of the day to relocate it again. I went home and wrapped two strips at the base, with good quality reflective tape. Of course a few months later I did it again, and couldn't find it this time. I went back with a flashlight after dark, and it stuck out like a sore thumb in the woods.

Here's a remedy for your holster. I ran into the same problem with my cloth holster. I went to my local leather crater and bought an actual .22 cal short leather pistol holder. It was tough, and lightweight. And 20 bucks!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread