Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

ca
    Jan 2011
    328 times

Can you tell me.

A couple of weeks back I posted my 1830 large cent, for some reason if you looked at the coin in a certain light it looked like 1820, but in another light 1830. The question I ask is what do you think the date is on this Indian penny, it looks like 1859 but some how it looks like 1858, it mentions in the coin book that the over stamp date is rare, for the 58 it does not mention the minting numbers. Have you seen this pattern coin, as it is mentioned in the book if this is the coin. It looks like 58 but it maybe I am seeing things and it is 59, just let me know what you think. The light does not do the coin justice, for some reason the coin is a redish colour. Brian C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5120562.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	529008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5120564.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	529009  

us
    Sep 2010

Re: Can you tell me.

Both look like "39" to me...

us
    Mar 2011
    NEPA
    garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
    6 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Brian some thing that I recently found really useful. turn off the flash for your camera and you a maglite from a side angle- it should bring out details in your pictures. it looks like a 39 for me, and congrats on the find.

ca
    Jan 2011
    328 times

Quote Originally Posted by mfitzy111
    Brian some thing that I recently found really useful. turn off the flash for your camera and you a maglite from a side angle- it should bring out details in your pictures. it looks like a 39 for me, and congrats on the find.
    I will take a picture in the day time, and maybe it will show the date a little clearer. There were Indian cents in 39 just 59 was the first year. The coin is not worth a whole lot unless it is the double date. Nt

Sponsors