spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was surprised that no one from Jersey replied :icon_scratch: Anyway, permits are not required to detect the beaches... You just have to stay clear of the national park beaches and we do have a few of those... All the beaches in the northern part are OK, with the exception of Sandy Hook.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
spartacus53 said:
I was surprised that no one from Jersey replied :icon_scratch: Anyway, permits are not required to detect the beaches... You just have to stay clear of the national park beaches and we do have a few of those... All the beaches in the northern part are OK, with the exception of Sandy Hook.

Which exit is that? :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors, you got that right :laughing7: Actually if you were heading south to Sandy Hook, it would be exit 117... Heading north, exit 105.. Sounds confusing though :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
It's the turnoff where the monotone horny chick says ..."In 400 metres exit right." ;D

OP
OP
mfitzy111

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thanks guys!!!! I'll be sure to not go to sandy hook! can't say I'd ever been excited to go to NJ, but this should be interesting.... thanks again all!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually you would love to have detected that beach... Too bad it's a National Park, and choke full military personal too :laughing9: But all the beaches south of there are fair game, as well as the few beaches north. Again, I'm not sure which beach you are headed to, but you have to be careful with some of them like Asbury Park, and Keansburg. Wrong beach, at the wrong time, the hunter becomes the hunted :laughing7:

OP
OP
mfitzy111

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
spartacus53 said:

what is the story with sandy hook? any suggestions on good beaches to hit while I'm there- I was thinking of going to union beach or long beach around that monmouth beach area. no idea of what's good to visit- just wondering if any places in NJ would have sand scoops for the trip- too late to order one...

lol. it's all good. thanks again all for the info.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hit the beaches just south of Sandy Hook,like Sea Bright, and the best beaches are further south like Seaside, Long Beach Island.I would also suggest any NJ google site and just make sure the beach is not a National Park

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the story with Sandy Hook? Well, there is one beach there that you can go naked on. So, on a weekend if you want to be in the buff with 5000 other people, that's one way to spend an afternoon. And, that nakid body count is no exaggeration. Everything from drop dead gorgeous to get out of the way you're blocking the sun. Beyond that, Sandy Hook is part of the Gateway National Recreation Area. It is seriously off limits to metal detecting. It was used as a training ground during WW ll and there is reportedly unexploded ordinance there. For a fee you can use a detector to recover lost jewelry/keys while being watched by a Park Ranger. Those who believe the rules don't apply lose their detectors and get to pay a big fine. Ironically, the rest of the Jersey coast was also used for WW ll training, reportedly has the very same unexploded ordinance, but allows detecting. So far, no has blown themselves up. Still, it's only been 66 years.

Jersey has many great beaches to detect. Check out the Jersey Shore Beach Hunters Facebook page for latest reports.

OP
OP
mfitzy111

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
tjc45 said:
What's the story with Sandy Hook? Well, there is one beach there that you can go naked on. So, on a weekend if you want to be in the buff with 5000 other people, that's one way to spend an afternoon. And, that nakid body count is no exaggeration. Everything from drop dead gorgeous to get out of the way you're blocking the sun. Beyond that, Sandy Hook is part of the Gateway National Recreation Area. It is seriously off limits to metal detecting. It was used as a training ground during WW ll and there is reportedly unexploded ordinance there. For a fee you can use a detector to recover lost jewelry/keys while being watched by a Park Ranger. Those who believe the rules don't apply lose their detectors and get to pay a big fine. Ironically, the rest of the Jersey coast was also used for WW ll training, reportedly has the very same unexploded ordinance, but allows detecting. So far, no has blown themselves up. Still, it's only been 66 years.

Jersey has many great beaches to detect. Check out the Jersey Shore Beach Hunters Facebook page for latest reports.

wow on the nude beach! lmao.
I'll stay far away from that place- seabright and long beach are two areas I was considering...the facebook page I'll have to check out later (I'm at work.) any good tips for sand hunting. I have a scoop on order and it should be here just before I leave Fri....I'm exciting about going to hang out and detect on the beach ....also not really planning it out as a trip- more of a spur of the moment thing- drive to NJ, check out the beaches- do to a mcdonalds and surf the net for a hotel rate that is good, then go to the hotel- go back to the beach (do they close at night? or can you walk em with a headlamp and keep searching? I ordered a kick scoop on a pole after watching a video from you-tube with a guy finding a gold sovereign (Oz) last night. hopefully it will be a fun trip-

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tips? Bring sunscreen!!!

Google NJ tides - best hunting on the wet sand or in water is in the two or three hours before low tide. However, you can hunt up high any time. NJ tide websites list tides by town, beach area, inlet, or river. Plug in info. The low tides for most of Jersey shore this weekend will be very early am, or late afternoon/early evening.

Unless you are bringing an Excal, Sov Gt or similar FBS technology machine the wet sand is going to give you a mental workout. Know how to gb and adjust your machine for wet salt conditions.

On some beaches be prepared to dig a lot of trash, like small pieces of copper.

Walk a W pattern on the low wet sand to establish a find line. Looking back at your finds, generally, they will fall into a 10 to 20 foot strip running parallel to the water. Hunt this strip.

Walk and swing slow, take time to develop poor or trashy signals. The salt and iron content fools many detectors. Give the machine a chance to get a good read.

Looks for cuts. They have highest percentage chance of paying off. Regardless of beach conditions if no finds after one hour move on.

Time restrictions are town by town. Usually up to 10pm with no problem. Until next week most will probably let you slide if later. I worked AC beach until 10pm last week. Cops on ATVs didn't give me a second look. By the way AC beach not safe after dark.

Go natural on nakid beach for ten minutes just to say you did it. Bring camera for proof to disbelieving wife and friends. Use hat to cover sensitive areas from camera lens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread