Incident on Virgina Beach

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.
Just a funny story: In 2004 or so I was metal detecting on Virgina beach with my wife Frankie, about 1/4 mile north of the pavilion, when I noticed a disturbance down the beach and everyone was leaving. Presently a couple men in military uniforms and a policeman approached me and told me that there was a general evacuation of the beach had been ordered because of some military ordnance had been discovered washed up on the beach. I wasn't doing well anyway, only some modern coinage and a cell phone had been recovered that morning. So we just moved on to another beach then went across the Chesapeake Bay bridge.
Richard

OP
OP
Richard Ray

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Don't know what it was, remember they made everybody leave the area. Was of no interest to me anyway, we've found plenty of bombs, grenades and land mines over the years while metal detecting. Found my first land mine in Arizona in 1963... Had a top Sargent chew me out for carrying it in the rear window of my Studebaker, made me go to the firing range and blow it up... LOL Oh, Virginia Beach is just south of Ft. Story and Dams Neck Air base just to the south and Oceana base just to the west... No surprise to find military stuff in the area, there's several more bases nearby....
Richard

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
A friend of mine who was in the Navy was stationed at Norfolk. He just stayed up there after he did his 4 years and moved to VA Beach. I'll ask him if he knows anything about this. He still has close ties to the military.

OP
OP
Richard Ray

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
You ever been to Norfolk? They have a great PX and a lot of other things (like many types of ships) to see. So many bases in the area. I loved Ft. Monroe and Ft. Eustis, of course Quantico is always interesting. LOL I was there when they went to DEFCON 3 after 9/11... Out came the M-60's and roadblocks..
Richard

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Never been to visit my friend. He keeps asking but I just haven't made it. He does government contract work that requires a security clearance.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Ain't seal team 6 based at Virginia beach? Maybe they got lazy and dumped Osama there...and he washed up? ;D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano, this incident happened back in 2004 and something triggered that memory I guess..

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I knew that. I was...just testing! :help:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stationed at Wheelus Air Base in Tripoli, Libya in the early 1960s before Ghadafi took over. The base beach was located in one of the areas where the Italian and German armies fled Libya in WWII. Of course the allied forces was bombing them as they fled and every now and then someone snorkling would find an unexploded bomb. They'd close the beaches for a few hours while the EOD guys went out and blew the bombs up. It made an interesting splash to say the least. Monty

hanoverdigger

Oct 27, 2010
Hanover County, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites MxSport Teknetics T2 SE Nautilus 2 b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one for ya... about 12 years ago I stopped off at Buckroe Beach to do some metal detecting. There was another detectorist there and he showed me a shell that he had just dug up. I said "neat find" and continued to detect. About a half hour later all sorts of military and police showed up. The closed the beach down,roped it off, and we had to leave. It was all in the news the following day. They took the shell away from the guy and blew it up at an undisclosed location.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have been an artillery shell. You are apt to find a few at any old range. We found unfired 2.75 rockets on our AF weapons range all the time. On New Years day at the turn of midnight we would shoot them off into the desert to celebrate when I was in Libya. Monty

OP
OP
Richard Ray

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Monty:
My old running buddy and I found a couple PRACTICE four deuce mortor rounds. So at midnight on Christmas we made a tube and fired them down by Galveston Bay. In about 10 minutes the fire department and Sheriff showed up asking questions. Lucky we lived way out in the country and they never found out it was us and nobody got hurt, they exploded in the water but sure made a loud BOOM... NOT one of the smartest things we ever did. Young and dumb is my only excuse....
Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread