Artesia, MS

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
White's Prism III, White's TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys! Need a little help on researching a site. I am orginally from Artesia, MS. Can trace my family history back generations here. The three hundred acres that my parents and I own/lease have been in our family for sixty plus years. I have been working on a site for years. The site dates back to before Artesia was ever a town. I know it was a pretty big home place of some sort, due to all the bricks, glass, pottery, nails, etc.... No structure has been standing there for as long as my Great Uncle, who was 83, can remember. The only way I knew to even start digging was due to the planted trees in the pasture. I have recovered many of very interesting relics that have led to the assumption it was a plantation home of some sort. Some of the relics have dated to the early 1800's. Here's the problem... the land the site is on, is called 16th section land. 16th section land was set aside by the state in the 1800's for schools. You can lease the land for now a 40 yr lease, and prior to that was on a 99 yr lease. Like previously stated, we have leased it for over 60 years. When searching the local archives, I have run into a dead end as to would have leased the land in the 1800's. The only show payment for everyone in the whole 16th section, not a specific area. Local historal maps for the area are inexistent.
From the "OR's" I have recently discovered that a regiment and telegraph office were in Artesia in 1865. Civil War relics have been found at this old home place site. The railroad had a large depot in town, supplying the whole state during the war. The site is a half of a mile from the railroad line. Ok, I could keep rambling about all of what I do know, but the fact is I don't have a clue what once stood there back in that era. It's driving me nuts!!!!! Any suggestions out there from all of you experts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread