It turned into work!

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit on a big target yesterday. It was hitting high numbers so I thought I would dig it just for the heck of it......Pinpointed it best I could with the coil raised high above it......I dug and dug. Signal was strong and the pro pointer would sound when it got near the hole. Stuck the pin pointer down in the hole and got the same...I dug a hole almost four feet deep. Signal was the same. Reached down as far as I could with the pinpointer and it was silent so I started taking dirt from the sides of the hole. Detector was saying I was in the middle of the target.....long story short, it was three round steel straps of a big barrell that had been buried years ago. I was digging in the middle of them..lol....One sore back and an hour later this sixty year old was feeling like I had been had...lol....I did recheck the hole after the straps were removed....does it happen to all of us or is it just me?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now ya got to wonder if the barrel was full of treasure one time and someone beat you to it. :tongue3:

Al

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had something like that years ago with a rim from a bike laying just 4 inch under the surface. Had a non motion detector back then and the signal disappeard when i was near 2 feet deep....

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:
Now ya got to wonder if the barrel was full of treasure one time and someone beat you to it. :tongue3:

Al
Al, there was a tale of gold burried somewhere on the property. Supposedly never found. Thats one of the reasons I kept digging. lol...

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's 'not just you', a friend and I did the same thing with a wagon rim. :icon_scratch:

Fossis...........

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yeah I recently found a truck rim under a foot and half of dirt at a friends place -the owners before him backfulled the area for a more level lawn. same lawn I had a good 8inch down signal and after using a saws all to cut old tree stump roots out of the way I gave up digging down about a foot with out ever finding that target. it happens when you only have a 6inch trowel with you.... :dontknow:

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Barrel straps are a pain. I dig along old logging RR grades and have found numerous straps. You think you have a good hit and out pops a strap. Luckily here, nothings sinks very deep, only a couple inches.

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.
You're not alone, I've had the same thing happen to me and twice with wagon rims. Hunt long enough and you'll dig all sorts of stuff.. LOLL
Richard

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had the double whammy with that one , the halo of the rims and the halo of the rust . That Eddie current was all over the place . No wonder you could not find it as the signal was going all around that area !

That will drive you to near madness trying to find something like that .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread