What do you think?

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
There is an old cellar hole at a late 1700's homestead, it's out in the woods. The original house was all wood and it's fully gone, all that remains is the hand dug well and cellar hole. I've found some pottery, melted glass, a key, etc in it. A bunch of original bricks are mixed in with the dirt, and it seems some extra dirt has gotten in it, maybe a foot or so. (I think cellars were around 3 - 4 feet right?)

So anyways, since the cellars were usually always made of dirt (the ground you walked on), would it be worth it to take a shovel and dig deep? Do you think anyone might have buried their money in the dirt in the cellar?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relichunters said:
There is an old cellar hole at a late 1700's homestead, it's out in the woods. The original house was all wood and it's fully gone, all that remains is the hand dug well and cellar hole. I've found some pottery, melted glass, a key, etc in it. A bunch of original bricks are mixed in with the dirt, and it seems some extra dirt has gotten in it, maybe a foot or so. (I think cellars were around 3 - 4 feet right?)

So anyways, since the cellars were usually always made of dirt (the ground you walked on), would it be worth it to take a shovel and dig deep? Do you think anyone might have buried their money in the dirt in the cellar?

What I have done in the past is completely rake out the floor down to bare dirt. Then I grid it into quarters. Take each quarter as a seperate project. Start with the Northwest corner, Southwest corner. Work your way down a foot at a time. When you start to hit artifacts, you'll know how much overburden you'll have to remove in the other quarters. Exciting! - Good Luck!

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
True that sounds like a plan. Wish I didn't have to dig up bricks in the process, that is going to get tiring.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With our annual tornado weather our storm cellars are about six to eight feet deep! The one you found may be partially filled in with dirt, bricks, and trash. At least that's what I am finding in my part of the country. Many were dug deep enough to chill canned fruit and veggies and some even had ice packed in straw that would stay cold all summer. Monty

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Good tip Monty, I was thinking they bent down or got on their knees in the cellar since it's below ground, but maybe I am wrong.

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Let is know what you find. Very, very few cellars in Florida due to the high water table. I have always wanted to work a detector in one. Best of luck.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of the cellars in "Tornado Alley" closely resembles the old notion of a fallout shelter. I have been in a few that has bunkbeds and a bench all the way around the wall for people to sit. But they all are about 8' deep and plenty of room for every one to stand up. Of course the old ones were cellars for keeping and storing home canned goods , and doubled as a storm shelter. I have never seen one that you had to get down on your knees to enter. Some of them did have about two feet of them sticking up out of the ground and was made of solid concrete. Ask Texan connection about his cellar if you want to see a neat one. Monty

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had a site like that, i'd excavate the entire area. Look for the privy. Look for the old dump site. If the site is as old as you say then the glass (bottles and such) is worthy of excavation and preservation, not to mention it could be very well valuable.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Our storm cellars are well made and generally the walk-in type in Tennessee too. It could just be a "root cellar" or place for potatoes and such things, but I'm with Diggummup, it's best to do it all.

A four foot probe will be very handy for finding the outhouse and other "holes" from long ago.

Good luck!!

Sky Pilot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions