how to clean Indian head penny

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing that I do with any copper coin is drop them in water to keep them moist. If they dry out then they are harder to clean with soap and water. The other thing that I use is my wife's sonic cleaner with a little soap and water in it. You will be surprised how much of the dirt that this will clean off without damaging the coin.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't use any water at all. If you use water it will wash out any contrast. I put the coin in boiling hydrogen peroxide for a minute or less. This will get the crap off the coin. Then I will rub the coin between my thumb and finger (don't ever rub silver though). This will make all the high spots (date, face, letters) on the coin stand out. The more you rub, the darker the high spots will get. It's the oils on your fingers that make the high spots darker. If you need more oil, then run your thumb across your forehead to pick up more. Again, I use no water at all. Same for cleaning old buttons. Just rub them clean. You'll keep the contrast so the letters stand out more. Here's a picture of the last indian I found. Think that last eight looks a little funny?

-Swartzie

Attachments

• indian cent.jpg
    indian cent.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,832
  • indian cent.jpg
    indian cent.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,155

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old coppers that are crusted over so badly that you can't see the date need a olive oil soaking for several hours, then carefully rub with a toothpick, to remove the gunk from the coin. Repeat untill you are satisfied, or untill the copper begins to show through the green patina. Good luck!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if it's not a key date, get a lemon, slice a hole in the lemon, insert the penny and wait an hour, check it to see how clean it is, repeat until you're satisfied

Oct 11, 2023
How bout u don't clean it cause if it is of any value it most definitely want be when u clean it u would be lucky to even get it graded messing with Any coin actually but what do I kno I just used to work at pcgs...... if u think it is of value just send it to get graded and it will get cleaned there whereever u send it they will offer cleaning before grading thats just what I would do if I were u ...but with anything else it's all up to u but you will be sadly disappointed when u do clean it and either it gets graded with (cleaned) slapped right on the slab ...and then again they may not grade it all and just send it back to you because u "Thought" ("CLEANING") IT was a good idea

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but what do I kno I just used to work at pcgs....
FYI, the thread you responded to is twelve years old. I would assume the original poster has long since done whatever they wanted to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread