Err can I detect here?

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_Observatory_(Manchester,_New_Hampshire) :help:

Did a little research on this place and looks like it would be a good spot to detect. But...I'm not sure if I can detect here because of "Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975." Does that mean its off limits, really don't wanna get in trouble with the law :P. Thanks... :icon_sunny:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sobo said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_Observatory_(Manchester,_New_Hampshire) :help:

Did a little research on this place and looks like it would be a good spot to detect. But...I'm not sure if I can detect here because of "Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975." Does that mean its off limits, really don't wanna get in trouble with the law :P. Thanks... :icon_sunny:

You would have to ask locally, but usually National Register of Historic Places are off limits....

F

Felinepeachy

Yep, off limits big time. If you get caught you can lose your detector and get a big fat fine.

OP
OP
Sobo

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
K thought so, thanks guys ;)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
Yep, off limits big time. If you get caught you can lose your detector and get a big fat fine.

They also have the option to take the vehicle your in if they want to get real nasty.....

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sobo,

I would ask the owner of the land. Being on a registry does not mean the property is owned by the State or Federal government. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Now Federally owned National Parks, and other Federal lands are just as described, don't even get close.

Ed D.

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are plenty of places on the National Register of Historic Places that are on private land.
More research will be needed.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Larry & Ed are right: those markers can be placed on privately owned locations. And as such, the owner can still do whatever he wants with it. I have, for example, hunted at a historic Bed & Breakfast, housed in a historical home in northern CA. The historic designation plaque is right in the front yard, on a granite slab. But with the permission of the owner, got on to the front yard, no problem.

But what gets me is Feline and Treasure hunter's answer: All too often when these type questions come up (even innocuos places like regular city parks, etc..), an immediate "no" or "you better ask", or fears of confiscations, fines, jail, blah blah blah is the knee-jerk reaction. I realize it's because someone saw the word "national" here, and their fears kick in. But the fact that the answer isn't necessarily "no" in this case, is telling.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
But what gets me is Feline and Treasure hunter's answer: All too often when these type questions come up (even innocuos places like regular city parks, etc..), an immediate "no" or "you better ask", or fears of confiscations, fines, jail, blah blah blah is the knee-jerk reaction. I realize it's because someone saw the word "national" here, and their fears kick in. But the fact that the answer isn't necessarily "no" in this case, is telling.

Tom my original reply was to ask locally..............

Treasure_Hunter said:
You would have to ask locally, but usually National Register of Historic Places are off limits....

I added my next reply because of the number of posts I have seen about "sneaking in" to state and federal places to hunt because I think some people, especially new hunters may not be aware they can take more than just their detector in some cases....

I should have been clearer on that post...... :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter said:
They also have the option to take the vehicle your in if they want to get real nasty.....

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, Yeah it would not be wise to go bring you Lamborghini detecting on federal land or even some state lands. You are playing with the big boys and their number one rule is confiscate everything. Not wise for possibly a couple of hundred worth of relics. The best policy is "Ask" if you can. If not know the policies of the owner(private, Federal, State, or local) and be prepared. I once heard a judge tell a defendant " Son, Ignorance of the law is no excuse." That has always stuck in my mind.

Happy Huntin'

Ed D.

OP
OP
Sobo

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright I messaged the head of the park/recreation department, waiting for a reply. Appreciate every ones insight. ;D

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done quite a bit of detecting in Derryfield park. I've never had any problems, although I have never been up in the observatory area.

I have however done quite a bit of research of where is off limits in NH to detect.

From what I have found, MY UNDERSTANDING is that the ONLY place we can not detect is Odorn Point in Rye.

I'm curious what the parks department will say on that though.

I personally would have just gone up there if you want to.

Every time I've met a police officer it was around 11PM and they just told me to leave because the curfew is 9pm at derryfield.

During the day I'm sure you would not be bothered.

Just don't leave a mess when you dig. Dig neat plugs and sweep the dirt into the hole off the grass if you dig in grass.

Your actions reflect on the rest of us that go there. I have never seen anyone there, but I have seen cuts in the grass from another detectorist.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if in doubt --ask the "land owners" ok first --- often times the land if its on a "historically registered site" might be off limits * since the land as well as the structure itself is "historically protected" but hey --if its "privately owned land" with a "historic marker" --the land owner can call the shot yes or no --so who knows ?---I always say -- ASK THE LAND OWNER IF YOU CAN DETECT A SPOT , YOU CAN ONLY IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES * SINCE ANY PLACE NOT ASKED IS ALWAYS 100% "NO" -- so you can only do better % wize by asking even if it 99% no to 1% yes. :wink: :icon_thumright:

FAINT HEART NEVER WON FAIR LADY -- (ie be bold --ask for what you want /like) --do not be a "shrinking violet" type (if your female) -- no guts , no glory (if your male) .

most "nationally " owned --us govt land is off limits except fopr some forest areas * --- many state "park" lands are also off limits unless near a sea shore * -- county and city lands -- unless posted are often "ok" -- (unless someone squawks about you doing it ) then cops will show up and ask you to "move along" to shut up the busybody type that has no life * except to try to make your life suck as bad as theirs does. --all private land get the OK first --never tresspass upon "private land"

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
SeaninMH, you say you've detected near the area of Sobo's location, and never had a problem, right? I'm just curious then, what you are going to do, if Sobo's inquiry (following the advice of several others here) results in a "no" to the entire park? (and not just the observatory)? Are you going to stop detecting, even in spite of your never having a problem?

This type of thing has happened in many instances, where no one seemed to have any problems in an area. Then someone else comes along and asks, and get's a "no". :icon_scratch: What does this tell you? It tells me that "sometimes no one cares UNTIL you ask".

So the better tactic is not to go asking "can I?", but rather, look it up for one's self. If there's nothing specifically there saying "no metal detectors", then so be it!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
SeaninMH, you say you've detected near the area of Sobo's location, and never had a problem, right? I'm just curious then, what you are going to do, if Sobo's inquiry (following the advice of several others here) results in a "no" to the entire park? (and not just the observatory)? Are you going to stop detecting, even in spite of your never having a problem?

This type of thing has happened in many instances, where no one seemed to have any problems in an area. Then someone else comes along and asks, and get's a "no". :icon_scratch: What does this tell you? It tells me that "sometimes no one cares UNTIL you ask".

So the better tactic is not to go asking "can I?", but rather, look it up for one's self. If there's nothing specifically there saying "no metal detectors", then so be it!

Tom is correct, on private property I ask, I look at all places I hunt that are not private, if it does not say no metal detecting on a sign, I go ahead and hunt. Now on State or Federal Property I will ask, knowing on most federal property excluding forests you can't, and on most state property unless bordering oceans you can't.......... You don't want to open a can of worms up asking someone who turns out to be a "Barney Fife" type when it isn't required...............

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nowadays people will tell you you cant just to say it when they have no authority to..

If its state land around here i just go in and be neat..If approached by someone who says you cant
be polite and ask why..I have been able to detect places someone says i cant just by being diplomatic..

You gotta take a shot if it is state land you never know and asking permission for land you pay taxes for is just ridiculous..

Blaze

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
public land is just that "public land" for use by all of the public -- unless there is a sign of rules saying otherwize , while as they say "ignorance of the law is no excuse" --one can clearly say -since metal detecting was not "posted" as being not allowed , I veiwed my hobby as being "permitted" in the park just like everyone's use of the park for their hobbies * --

I'm of the school of thought that one should never have to ask to be "allowed" to use your own land (tax payor owned and upkept public land is for the public's use )--if denied the use of it , then make them "post it" saying why you can not do so --* then if they do so , legally fight and question "why' they did so and what legal "right" they have to do so --say you as a metal detectorist being "unfairly targeted" / profiled even .--there are all sorts of hobbies that are at least as "destructive" if not more destructive to the "sod" in parks than metal detecting is yet not one word is spoke of the damage they do or of "banning" them.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no one to ask. It's a public park. It's not on private land. It's state owned.

There is no reason to even ask. As stated above... You are more likely to get a "no" just because it's easy to say no and forget about it.

Go detect and find stuff. Just don't make a mess and you will be fine.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Also if i see a section of woods i wanna hit and there is no signs im in :thumbsup:

You cant get arrested or anything if there is no signs..
The key is to be neat,neat,neat...And polite..

If you wanna find the good stuff,you gotta have the balls...

Blaze

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Always, ALWAYS, if you're gonna ask, ask in person. And then, make sure you're asking the biggest suit in the room. And be confident.

I've hunted several places on the National Register of Historic Places. All those that were privately owned that I could get to. Never had a problem except for a no or two, okay, move on.

Now if my finds were equal to the status of some of those places I'd be real happy, but many have suffered multiple landscaping and grading reworks. I guess the stuff there in the ground didn't matter much after all.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions