Err can I detect here?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    us
    Apr 2011
    Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
    237
    84 times
    Metal Detecting

    Err can I detect here?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_...w_Hampshire%29

    Did a little research on this place and looks like it would be a good spot to detect. But...I'm not sure if I can detect here because of "Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975." Does that mean its off limits, really don't wanna get in trouble with the law :P. Thanks...

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    38,435
    31021 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sobo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_...w_Hampshire%29

    Did a little research on this place and looks like it would be a good spot to detect. But...I'm not sure if I can detect here because of "Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975." Does that mean its off limits, really don't wanna get in trouble with the law :P. Thanks...
    You would have to ask locally, but usually National Register of Historic Places are off limits....
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

    USAF 1967-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!

  3. #3
    Felinepeachy

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    Yep, off limits big time. If you get caught you can lose your detector and get a big fat fine.


  4. #4
    us
    Apr 2011
    Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
    237
    84 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    K thought so, thanks guys

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    38,435
    31021 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felinepeachy
    Yep, off limits big time. If you get caught you can lose your detector and get a big fat fine.

    They also have the option to take the vehicle your in if they want to get real nasty.....
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

    USAF 1967-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!

  6. #6
    us
    Jun 2004
    Hurlock, Maryland
    XP Deus, Excalibur II
    1,680
    68 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    Sobo,

    I would ask the owner of the land. Being on a registry does not mean the property is owned by the State or Federal government. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Now Federally owned National Parks, and other Federal lands are just as described, don't even get close.

    Ed D.
    Keep detecting, Keep finding, Keep digging!

    Ed Donovan

  7. #7
    us
    Jun 2010
    Northern California
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    504
    170 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    There are plenty of places on the National Register of Historic Places that are on private land.
    More research will be needed.

  8. #8

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10069 times
    Banner Finds (4)

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    Larry & Ed are right: those markers can be placed on privately owned locations. And as such, the owner can still do whatever he wants with it. I have, for example, hunted at a historic Bed & Breakfast, housed in a historical home in northern CA. The historic designation plaque is right in the front yard, on a granite slab. But with the permission of the owner, got on to the front yard, no problem.

    But what gets me is Feline and Treasure hunter's answer: All too often when these type questions come up (even innocuos places like regular city parks, etc..), an immediate "no" or "you better ask", or fears of confiscations, fines, jail, blah blah blah is the knee-jerk reaction. I realize it's because someone saw the word "national" here, and their fears kick in. But the fact that the answer isn't necessarily "no" in this case, is telling.

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    38,435
    31021 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA
    But what gets me is Feline and Treasure hunter's answer: All too often when these type questions come up (even innocuos places like regular city parks, etc..), an immediate "no" or "you better ask", or fears of confiscations, fines, jail, blah blah blah is the knee-jerk reaction. I realize it's because someone saw the word "national" here, and their fears kick in. But the fact that the answer isn't necessarily "no" in this case, is telling.
    Tom my original reply was to ask locally..............

    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter
    You would have to ask locally, but usually National Register of Historic Places are off limits....
    I added my next reply because of the number of posts I have seen about "sneaking in" to state and federal places to hunt because I think some people, especially new hunters may not be aware they can take more than just their detector in some cases....

    I should have been clearer on that post......

    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter
    They also have the option to take the vehicle your in if they want to get real nasty.....
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

    USAF 1967-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!

  10. #10
    us
    Jun 2004
    Hurlock, Maryland
    XP Deus, Excalibur II
    1,680
    68 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    TH, Yeah it would not be wise to go bring you Lamborghini detecting on federal land or even some state lands. You are playing with the big boys and their number one rule is confiscate everything. Not wise for possibly a couple of hundred worth of relics. The best policy is "Ask" if you can. If not know the policies of the owner(private, Federal, State, or local) and be prepared. I once heard a judge tell a defendant " Son, Ignorance of the law is no excuse." That has always stuck in my mind.

    Happy Huntin'

    Ed D.
    Keep detecting, Keep finding, Keep digging!

    Ed Donovan

  11. #11
    us
    Apr 2011
    Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
    237
    84 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    Alright I messaged the head of the park/recreation department, waiting for a reply. Appreciate every ones insight.

  12. #12
    us
    Jul 2010
    New Hampshire USA
    Fisher F70
    1,127
    72 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    I've done quite a bit of detecting in Derryfield park. I've never had any problems, although I have never been up in the observatory area.

    I have however done quite a bit of research of where is off limits in NH to detect.

    From what I have found, MY UNDERSTANDING is that the ONLY place we can not detect is Odorn Point in Rye.

    I'm curious what the parks department will say on that though.

    I personally would have just gone up there if you want to.

    Every time I've met a police officer it was around 11PM and they just told me to leave because the curfew is 9pm at derryfield.

    During the day I'm sure you would not be bothered.

    Just don't leave a mess when you dig. Dig neat plugs and sweep the dirt into the hole off the grass if you dig in grass.

    Your actions reflect on the rest of us that go there. I have never seen anyone there, but I have seen cuts in the grass from another detectorist.



  13. #13
    us
    da book worm--researcher

    Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    16,706
    3512 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    if in doubt --ask the "land owners" ok first --- often times the land if its on a "historically registered site" might be off limits * since the land as well as the structure itself is "historically protected" but hey --if its "privately owned land" with a "historic marker" --the land owner can call the shot yes or no --so who knows ?---I always say -- ASK THE LAND OWNER IF YOU CAN DETECT A SPOT , YOU CAN ONLY IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES * SINCE ANY PLACE NOT ASKED IS ALWAYS 100% "NO" -- so you can only do better % wize by asking even if it 99% no to 1% yes.

    FAINT HEART NEVER WON FAIR LADY -- (ie be bold --ask for what you want /like) --do not be a "shrinking violet" type (if your female) -- no guts , no glory (if your male) .

    most "nationally " owned --us govt land is off limits except fopr some forest areas * --- many state "park" lands are also off limits unless near a sea shore * -- county and city lands -- unless posted are often "ok" -- (unless someone squawks about you doing it ) then cops will show up and ask you to "move along" to shut up the busybody type that has no life * except to try to make your life suck as bad as theirs does. --all private land get the OK first --never tresspass upon "private land"

  14. #14

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10069 times
    Banner Finds (4)

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    SeaninMH, you say you've detected near the area of Sobo's location, and never had a problem, right? I'm just curious then, what you are going to do, if Sobo's inquiry (following the advice of several others here) results in a "no" to the entire park? (and not just the observatory)? Are you going to stop detecting, even in spite of your never having a problem?

    This type of thing has happened in many instances, where no one seemed to have any problems in an area. Then someone else comes along and asks, and get's a "no". What does this tell you? It tells me that "sometimes no one cares UNTIL you ask".

    So the better tactic is not to go asking "can I?", but rather, look it up for one's self. If there's nothing specifically there saying "no metal detectors", then so be it!

  15. #15
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    38,435
    31021 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Err can I detect here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA
    SeaninMH, you say you've detected near the area of Sobo's location, and never had a problem, right? I'm just curious then, what you are going to do, if Sobo's inquiry (following the advice of several others here) results in a "no" to the entire park? (and not just the observatory)? Are you going to stop detecting, even in spite of your never having a problem?

    This type of thing has happened in many instances, where no one seemed to have any problems in an area. Then someone else comes along and asks, and get's a "no". What does this tell you? It tells me that "sometimes no one cares UNTIL you ask".

    So the better tactic is not to go asking "can I?", but rather, look it up for one's self. If there's nothing specifically there saying "no metal detectors", then so be it!
    Tom is correct, on private property I ask, I look at all places I hunt that are not private, if it does not say no metal detecting on a sign, I go ahead and hunt. Now on State or Federal Property I will ask, knowing on most federal property excluding forests you can't, and on most state property unless bordering oceans you can't.......... You don't want to open a can of worms up asking someone who turns out to be a "Barney Fife" type when it isn't required...............
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

    USAF 1967-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0