"abandoned" houses in Oklahoma

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
"abandoned" houses in Oklahoma

Driving across this state going to job interviews, I have noticed something: Lots of old houses, rotting and rusting in the middles of wheat fields, alongside roads.....

Some are from distinct periods of construction, such as houses built of Medicine Park cobblestone (illegal to do now, and it is almost impossible to buy the stones) and other older style farm houses. So, here is what my wife and I were wondering: What is the legal situation for these abandoned houses? I stopped at one and was going to take pictures, but my camera was dead. I did not enter the house, but noticed that the doors still had these gorgeous old glass door knobs, and there was a lot of other antique hardware just rusting and going to patina scattered everywhere.

These houses are not safe, and I wonder why they are allowed to just collapse, with everything they contain inside. I also wonder how one would go about doing a bit of treasure hunting and scavenging in houses that have no discernible owner.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Re: "abandoned" houses in Oklahoma

I'm not sure what I'd do about that. Trouble is, they do belong to someone, most likely a county, state or even government agency.

It'd be best to find out who owns/oversees them before detecting, in my opinion.

Irate landowners are a bad thing, an irate government agency would be much worse.

Just my opinion, though it's always better safe than sorry.

Sky Pilot

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

No arguments here, Sky. I did call and ask about one house about three blocks from my own home. It is down by the park the kids play at, and evidently teenagers have used it as a sugar shack, and someone has tried to burn it at least once. The town clerk responded like this when I asked who it belonged to..."Hell, I dunno." Anadarko (the county seat) courthouse said they would give me that information for a fee, if I came down in person. It just irritates me that with the problems these small rural towns are having with attracting businesses and tourists, they might get together and do something about these dangerous eyesores...and if in the process, I get some nifty antiques...so much the better.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

I hear you! :thumbsup:

If it were me, I'd check with the nearest occupied home's owner (even if it's miles away, as it may be) and they will probably be able to give you a good idea of who the owner(s) is/are.

Regarding the house close to you, it may have been taken for back taxes... at the very least the owner lives out of state or isn't interested in it. That one is a judgement call you would be best

suited to make, I think.

I agree 100 percent, in regards to paying for the info from the courthouse!

I don't know about Oklahoma, but in Tennessee we (the citizens) have access to ALL public information like that for free and most of it is online. It only costs to make a copy of the desired info.

The rules regarding the Freedom of Information Act in Oklahoma may be something you want to check on as well. Please keep me posted!

I wish you the greatest success!

Sky Pilot

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

Oklahoma is weird when it comes to fees and such. I can access a whole lot of legal stuff online (comes in real handy when someone is being a real jerk on a forum) but when it comes to getting some of this info...well, they can be bullheaded. If I can get my yard taken care of without nuking my back, I am going to start gridding my yard and doing some intense hunting while the ground is still soft. But that overgrown house and lot keeps popping up in my imagination.

Also, since the job hunt has been depressing, I am looking at other ways to supplement my VA disability this fall. I will be completing my Master's degree which means the last of my GI Bill will also be supplementing my income...but I do not like the fact that my wife has been slaving away with me making money while doing not much of anything. That, and I am BORED out of my mind.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

I can honestly relate to that my friend.

Hopefully the situation will get better soon, it's always darkest before the dawn, as the saying goes. :thumbsup:

My own situation doesn't sound much different from yours, and it's really hard to not get bored/depressed. But you are on the right track!

What works for me is to keep my mind busy. If I allow it to wander (and MY mind doesn't need a reason! LOL!), it always seems to drift toward the negative (and seemingly insurmountable) things.

Heck, I'd say that with a little bit of footwork you'll be able to get some really great leads on some very cool antiques/treasures! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Without having to pay the government one red cent, too!

By reading your posts, it's very obvious you are an intelligent, resourceful person and I have no doubt that given time you'll do very well at whatever you set out to do.

Best wishes,
Sky Pilot

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

Well, just got called on yet another far flung interview...in Eastern Oklahoma. Beautiful part of the state, this one is right on the Arkansas border.

I have had to be resourceful my entire life in order to get ahead. I grew up in a trailer in Southeast Louisiana, but I have done lots of stuff to get ahead, including joining the Army, going to college (hopefully will get this Master's degree done soon) and now am certified in both Medical Laboratory science and also teaching biological and physical sciences.

With the problem of living in a "Right to Work" state (great if you are a laborer, not so much if you are a new teacher) and the ever increasing education cutbacks here...it may be another year without the work I have trained to do.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

I've never understood the logic (if there is any) behind cutting education pay/hiring.

Very counterproductive if one really believes that "the children are our future"! Of course the children ARE the future.

When it comes it'll be in aces, and then times like these will seem a lifetime away. :icon_sunny:

Sky Pilot

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

Since my wife and I are both teachers, you would think that a package deal would be even better......

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here in New Orleans there are an estimated 12000 abandoned homes. Some still have owners, some are owned by the city or parish, some are just there. I've had pretty good luck with salvage here on houses that were about to be demolished, and houses that the neighbors just want gone. The best way to start is to find a neighbor, preferably an older person who's been there a while and talk to them about it. The problem you'll have in the country is many of those places are old family homes, and the owners for some reason are more content to let them rot than to let anyone pick through them.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You may have already checked, but I'll mention it anyway... Check to see if you have a county/parrish "Geographic Information Systems" (GIS) website. Sometimes it's tied into the local tax department's website. If you do have access to one, you should be able to find the property on the map and it should tell you various information about the property, including owner.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

Libralabsoldier said:
Since my wife and I are both teachers, you would think that a package deal would be even better......

Sure seems like it would be an ideal arrangement for everyone!

Before long someone in Oklahoma will realize what a great opportunity everyone else has passed up by not hiring the two of you, and then they'll make it well worth your while! :thumbsup:

Just remember to stay mentally positive because, while we may not notice it ourselves (we usually don't), others can see our attitude radiate from us like the sun, be it positive or negative.

Sky Pilot

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Im not sure how this works there but in Utah I look up the county tax assesssor website. It tells me who owns the property and from there I can find the person through the white pages. Best of all its free!

LuiseAdkins

Mar 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No arguments here, Sky. I did call and ask about one house about three blocks from my own home. It is down by the park the kids play at, and evidently teenagers have used it as a sugar shack, and someone has tried to burn it at least once. The town clerk responded like this when I asked who it belonged to..."Hell, I dunno." Anadarko (the county seat) courthouse said they would give me that information for a fee, if I came down in person. It just irritates me that with the problems these small rural towns are having with attracting businesses and tourists, they might get together and do something about these dangerous eyesores...and if in the process, I get some nifty antiques...so much the better.

I've lived in OK for nine years, and what they need to "get together" and do is find a way to make Oklahoma a more palatable place to live. What makes you think these homes weren't abandoned because the folks who lived there decided to just get the heck out and leave everything behind. Oklahoma is filled with drugs, booze, everyone sleeping with everyone else, everyone on welfare, and a lot of rough and tough people you don't want to work with or for. And depending on which part of the state you end up in, the folks may not want you there anyway. And if you're a Christian (in the Bible belt no less), there are NO good churches in some parts of the state. Basically if you come from a civilized part of the country, you don't want to be here.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Libra,

Just did a quick search for what it takes to find the info you are looking for. If you did some leg work and made yourself a long list of the properties you were wanting info on like in Caddo county, it would be reasonable. If you wantd just one or two, it may not work so well. Forget the guy that wants you to come down in person. Too expensive.

Go to WWW.OKASSESSOR.COM It seems that all your answers are ther. Sounds like it is pretty up to date set up with lots of info. The posted rates are $20.00 a day per county. Or $30.00 a month per county, or add another county for $20.00 more per month. There was a long rate schedule, these are just a few possible scenarios.

If you had your list and your buddies list and his buddies list. The cost would be very minimal.

Keep us posted. I have never used this site but sounds promising to me. One decent score and you would have your money back and then some.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW old post & Lib has been gone since Nov 02, 2012

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luise,

I have been to Oklahoma several times visiting, I have friends living there, it is nothing like your describing... We also have members from Ok, not nice to come on and trash the state like that... I understand you live there, but to make your first post and trash a state that that has many members here will win you no friends....

Oklahoma is a great state to live in if you like to hunt indian artifacts too..........:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, with this many posts I didn't bother to see how old it was. My bad. The perfect example that "No good deed goes unpunished."

I will look a lot closer next time before offering any more words of wisdom.

Bob

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha! Yeah an old post, but I really liked Lib. Luise, Luise, Luise. So sorry you got stuck in Oklahoma for 9 years. I guess Arkansas wasn't hirin. Some truth to what you say, though. I am a native Oklahoman. My family got sent there by your government in the 1830's or so. We made the best of it. Lots of family across the state. Nobody in my family has run off and abandoned a house, they ain't on welfare, and I never slept with everybody else. (Guarantee you I stay wide awake.) There were some very rough and tough folks during the Indian Territory days cause you had to be, but it's mostly just blow and go these days. Of course I live in Colorado now, and I would put myself up on a pedestal above your home state but Colorado recently voted to legalize Marijuana, so I won't say nothin. You're down there, you live there, so see what you can do to improve the situation instead of settin back and gripin about it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions