spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barnum, had no idea what your age was, nor could I care. I was giving you sound medical advise. It seems you're a little too hot tempered and that could affect your heart. People way younger succumbed to to a heart attack over lessor events. It seems everything I do is condescending :icon_scratch:

Barnum said:
you seemingly have all the better answers to the problems we face.

You also apparently need to be the authority on all things related to metal detecting, so have at it. You personally disgust me, and yes I know you don't give a damn, but I don't either. Have fun...I am outta here.

For the record, I don't even give you much thought, kind of like that rally :laughing7:

Apparently I must be raining on your parade on that authority thing :crybaby2: :laughing7: So I guess everyone should :notworthy: kowtow to you. You are all talk, just like the other person yesterday. You can sit there and tell me I'm wrong and yet you brought nothing to the table, not one idea. :laughing7: Perhaps the only idea you may have had, died from loneliness :dontknow:

I just noticed something interesting. You have few posts on here :dontknow: I don't know, maybe you only post when you want to PROMOTE YOURSELF, that my boy is a pretty big ego you're carrying :laughing7:

So goodbye, and don't let the door hit ya on your way out :laughing9:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I own the domain MetalDetecting.us

If any bona-fide advocacy groups want to use it for a bona fide advocacy campaign, I'd be more than happy to lease it for $1 per year.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LSMorgan, now that is a sweet and generous offer. :headbang: I'm sure Terry may contact you and put you in touch with that task force. :thumbsup:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I was just curious.. When is that meeting set with the Parks Commissioner? I would love to hear an update, and see how successful the meeting went. If they don't succeed the first time, then try, try, try again.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Barnum brought this topic up on another detecting forum.When I and others brought up issues concerning getting the word out and the best way to focus demonstration energy,Mr.Barnum had a real hissy fit and starting attacking and PO'ing all the posters.He ended saying he was not going to bother with a bunch of losers like us.He is a bright beacon of reason for the hobby.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Terry I hunt with a lot of NYC guys and no one heard about the rally until after the fact.How are you getting the word out?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom, if I am not mistaken it was Barnum that originally was getting the word out.. I don't think there was a formulated plan, but I could be mistaken.

I just so happened upon this post after the fact. My only comments were in essence poor planning and location, with no real agenda. This does not mean their efforts were wasted, only misguided.

So it seems that if you're not in agreement with Barnum, then you are being condescending, did I read you correctly? I just saw him as someone who likes to flap his gums to be heard and recognized. Not once did he bring forth any idea that was noteworthy. If that is a bright light, I'd rather work in the dark :laughing7:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Task Force will meet with the Parks Commission this Monday, June 13th. Please email your comments of support to Mr. Benepe, NYC Parks Commissioner, email: [email protected] OR call : 212 360-1305 or 212 360-8111

Get off your butt - soapbox - acid - or whatever else you're on, and send a freakin' email. Not an ANGRY email, Not a LONG email, just a short note to ask the Commissioner to LISTEN to what the Task Force has to say... :help:

You ALL Rock! :hello2: :headbang: :thumbsup:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I will be glad to step/tumble off the soapbox, and stop the meds long enough to shoot off a quick, and concise letter to Mr. Benepe..

So my letter is correct, what is the actual name of the task force organization?.. If they are a club, or organization, I am sure that they may be a little more involved than just the "Task Force." I would like to refer to the group they are meeting with by their proper name in my letter. If they are known by another name, or organization; then any letters Mr Benepe receives would have the wrong information, possibly hurting any credibility.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
Terry, I will be glad to step/tumble off the soapbox, and stop the meds long enough to shoot off a quick, and concise letter to Mr. Benepe..

So my letter is correct, what is the actual name of the task force organization?.. If they are a club, or organization, I am sure that they may be a little more involved than just the "Task Force." I would like to refer to the group they are meeting with by their proper name in my letter. If they are known by another name, or organization; then any letters Mr Benepe receives would have the wrong information, possibly hurting any credibility.

I don't know Spart, I'm just trying to help these guys out - you're yankin' me here! Would it kill ya to scroll back and find the task force name here in the thread? LOL! I wish you could go to this thing - you could talk the Commissioner to death! LOL! You Go Boy!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I apologize and went back to check the name "The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights." Boy, that just rolls off the tongue :laughing7:

I think an e-mail, or letter campaign will be helpful. If you call, dollars to donuts you'll get a recording, then voice mail. Who working for the city actually answers a phone. :laughing7:

I'll be glad to do my part and send an e-mail, as I still have friends and family in NYC. Plus I think the city would want to stay on my good side, if I had one of those :tongue3:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Task Force will meet with the Parks Commission this Monday, June 13th.

email: [email protected] OR phone: 212 360-1305 or 212 360-8111

Sent This Afternoon.. :headbang:

Dear Commissioner Benepe,

I urge you to seriously consider the opinions and concerns of the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights, during your upcoming meeting on Monday. Metal detectorists from all over the United States, are following this subject closely. I know that New York City wants to treat all of its citizens and visitors fairly. Metal detecting in New York City Parks is a wholesome, family-friendly experience that should be celebrated. This is a chance for the NYC Parks Department to get to know our hobby, and how we can better work together towards the future of our public parks.

Sincerely,

Terry Soloman - White Plains, New York
(914) 589-3985
http://www.TerrySoloman.com

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
Ok... I don't want to relight the kindling here... But there is one thought that I seem to think has been over looked and I am trying to think of the best way to word this...

If you have a limited amount resources (people and time), would you hold a rally of any type where you are using a shotgun approach to John Q. Public in hopes that the powers to be take note, or would you concentrate your efforts in a place that the powers to be WILL HAVE to take note in their front yard. Thus eliminating the shotgun and going for a one shot, one kill.

If their goal was to get the parks department attention, then it was a success because they have a meeting with them. I for one applaud their efforts for educating people about our hobby that have miss conceptions or stereotypical views of metal detecting. :hello2:

Hats off to you!

Phil

qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I took a few minutes and sent an email. Thank you to all that participated in the rally, and to those that take the time to write the commissioner. Any effort to protect our hobby is a benefit in my eyes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions